Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd try this Forever Black stuff.....the spoiler and bumpers on my '83 could use some freshening up, and while I was at it I thought I'd tackle the interior as well. At this point it's somewhat experimental for me...trying it on hard plastic pieces, rubber, and vinyl.

I was very pleased with results on the black plastic kick-panels on the door panels....they were extremely faded and washed-out looking before. One coat of FB transformed them completely, a second coat got rid of a few minor light areas that still remained. However, on the vinyl-covered arm-rests, I'm seeing a lot of areas where the FB is I guess either pulling away, or just soaking in so much that the surface remains flat and perhaps a bit faded yet. It took about 3 or 4 full coats, and numerous touch-ups to get them looking pretty good. Is this normal? Wondering if I did something wrong.

I read a couple comments on the board here that suggest this stuff doesn't last very long, but a few folks said it's fine on the right surfaces. Has anyone had FB on their car for any significant length of time (like 3+ years)? How well does it hold up on a garaged southwest car that only gets driven occasionally? Would I be better off to go through the expense and effort of priming and painting the bumpers with special flex paint?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
FB is the only brand that I have found whose two products, tires and re-conditioning of trim, I would strongly advise to never use. I bought both FB products form IAP, and after using them I called them to let them know how they did everything but what they were advertised to do. I tried them so that I could have something that lasted longer than other products (that work), but require an additional coat from time to time.

On plastic trim, it streaked something awful, and the area that I originally applied it to still looks bad, and the only solution will be to have it re-painted. The tire product did not give a very black finish on the tire, but did a wonderful job at making the very edge of the rim look like it had permanent dirt.

Best regards,

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange, I certainly haven't had luck that bad with it so far. I wonder if you got a bad batch? The worst piece at this point is the rubber'ish mirror frame....after about 3 full coats it still is a bit uneven. Way better than before, but certainly not looking like a new piece. The plastic kick panels and the arm rests look awesome though.

·
Administrator
16,624 Posts
I've been pleased with Turtle Wax Wet-n-Black. Use the product in a pump spray bottle, not the aerosol can.

The rubber spoiler on our '84 was faded to a near grey color. It took 3-4 applications until it stopped merely soaking in and became a uniform black color. I've also it on rubber & plastic trim (the black portion of the bumpers, around the mirrors, the plastic panel around the tails lights, etc.)

On a slightly different note, I use Plexus for the convertible top's rear window and the plastic tail & turn signal lens. You can usually find Plexus at a motorcycle shop - it is used on helmet faceshields and Lexan windscreens.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
In the past ten years or so, I've only ever found two products worth using.

For black plastic exterior trim: Wurth Plastic Dye

For all rubber and vinyl: 303 Protectant

Nothing else I've seen is worth buying - and certainly never use anything with silicone in the formulation, especially on rubber. I use both on my daily driver, a 1987 BMW 325i, and I've yet to need to re-apply the Wurth product after the last time I applied it, which was at least 2 years ago.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I bought the Griot's version of the forever black to use on the exterior trim on my Verde and while it initially looked good when I did it a year ago in now looks like crap. On the plastic bits it is looking blotchy and streaky and on the rubber spoiler piece it is flaking off. I was very careful before putting it on and used their paint prep product to make sure I got off any remnants of any silicone based products prior to applying the stuff.

I've redid some of the trim bits with black bumper paint and it looks much better and is holding up a lot better.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
In the past ten years or so, I've only ever found two products worth using.

For black plastic exterior trim: Wurth Plastic Dye

For all rubber and vinyl: 303 Protectant

Nothing else I've seen is worth buying - and certainly never use anything with silicone in the formulation, especially on rubber. I use both on my daily driver, a 1987 BMW 325i, and I've yet to need to re-apply the Wurth product after the last time I applied it, which was at least 2 years ago.
Interesting info, Alex.

Wurth makes great stuff... Didn't know they had a dye. Sounds like this would be good to use on the spoilers of the 164s...

How long does the 303 protectant last on rubber? For example, if you apply it to your daily driver today, how long before you do another application?

Best regards,

·
Registered
554 Posts
I confirm for the Wirth and 303. I use both with great results. 303 lives a long time. Twice a year is a good option. But try not to mix silicon based liquids like Wirth with 303. The key point always is having first the surfaces cleaned with the best thing in nature , water, or water mixed with lil' soap, then dry it and go on.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I confirm for the Wirth and 303. I use both with great results. 303 lives a long time. Twice a year is a good option. But try not to mix silicon based liquids like Wirth with 303. The key point always is having first the surfaces cleaned with the best thing in nature , water, or water mixed with lil' soap, then dry it and go on.
Thanks for the response. I'm certainly going to give these a try!

Best regards,

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm the Wurth stuff seems to be UK-specific, know if there's a differently named equivalent in the US?

I found some Duplicolor flexible bumper paint, think I'll give that a try. If it holds up on the black parts ok I might also try to find it in silver, for the upper parts of my Spider's bumpers.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hmmm the Wurth stuff seems to be UK-specific, know if there's a differently named equivalent in the US?
I've seen Wurth in several stores that sell auto paint products, and my Alfa mechanic in NJ uses their products - in some cases exclusivley... I did a google for "Wurth plastic paint", and a bunch of web sites came up, including ads in Amazon... Give it a try...

Best regards,

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are many Wurth products that are no longer available here in the states. The one I miss is the Silver wheel paint.

I used the forever black and though it worked great on my Sport trac. I don't like the tire gel at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts