Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While servicing the window motor, I find a translucent sheet and a black sheet behind it, both behind the door panel, and both have been quite compromised by the PO. I assume these function somehow as water barriers?
Would someone kindly tell me how to replace these with new plastic sheets, including how they should be installed (there are a few clues from the existing plastic sheets)? Any guidance on what plastic will work as replacements, and possible sources of these sheets?
Thank you.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,886 Posts
Yeah, water barrier. Just buy some thick clear plastic sheeting, like those disposable polyethylene tarps, and cut out what you need. Doesn't have to be pretty, nobody's going to see it.

Then just attach them to the inside of the door with double-sided tape or something. IIRC they go on the innermost metal panel of the door, on the side facing the outside of the car (if that makes any sense.) Basically just so any water that comes down the window gets channeled away from the door panel to the holes in the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
yes.
originally the water barrier sheet on the S4 was black and was fastened up inside the top inner edge of the door, under that black vinyl covered plastic strip which always seems to crack!
It helped keep water from dripping down and staining and warping the door cards (and eventually seeping out onto the carpet over the rocker and into the footwells which then rusted like hell (as you can't just lift these "one-piece" carpets to see what is happening)

As it is a bit more complicated to put a new sheet back as the factory did, w/o pulling a lot apart, the best thing to do now is rip out all the old sheet you can find, then, as Tom says, cut out a shape of thickish plastic sheeting from your local hardware store.
Cut it somewhat smaller than the door card, tape it at the top and down the sides (use a decent tough tape)......at the bottom it is important to tuck it along its length, inside the door.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes.
originally the water barrier sheet on the S4 was black and was fastened up inside the top inner edge of the door, under that black vinyl covered plastic strip which always seems to crack!
It helped keep water from dripping down and staining and warping the door cards (and eventually seeping out onto the carpet over the rocker and into the footwells which then rusted like hell (as you can't just lift these "one-piece" carpets to see what is happening)

As it is a bit more complicated to put a new sheet back as the factory did, w/o pulling a lot apart, the best thing to do now is rip out all the old sheet you can find, then, as Tom says, cut out a shape of thickish plastic sheeting from your local hardware store.
Cut it somewhat smaller than the door card, tape it at the top and down the sides (use a decent tough tape)......at the bottom it is important to tuck it along its length, inside the door.
Thanks!!
Yeah, water barrier. Just buy some thick clear plastic sheeting, like those disposable polyethylene tarps, and cut out what you need. Doesn't have to be pretty, nobody's going to see it.

Then just attach them to the inside of the door with double-sided tape or something. IIRC they go on the innermost metal panel of the door, on the side facing the outside of the car (if that makes any sense.) Basically just so any water that comes down the window gets channeled away from the door panel to the holes in the bottom of the door.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
By the way, the plastic clips that hold on the door panels were mostly broken on my car. I removed them and replaced them with strips of adhesive backed Velcro. They work really well.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I was never satisfied with the replacement plastic I put in my doors. When I replaced my door panels a couple of years ago, I coated the inside of the panels with spar varnish to seal them from moisture. I didn't reinstall any plastic at all. The panels are still in great shape.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was never satisfied with the replacement plastic I put in my doors. When I replaced my door panels a couple of years ago, I coated the inside of the panels with spar varnish to seal them from moisture. I didn't reinstall any plastic at all. The panels are still in great shape.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
true, but you still need the barrier sheet if you ever take your car out in the rain.... the water will find its way between the door panel at the bottom and the door card...........with a closed door this drips onto the sill carpet. You might not see it, but next time you are out in the rain, feel the carpet on top of the rocker along the door.
the barrier sheet, if tucked in at the bottom, directs any water back into the door and out through the door drain slots.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I replaced the plastic weather liner inside the doors of my S4 spider and it was a major project. The plastic sheet is about 4 mils thick. To get plastic that thick you have to buy a huge roll of it, albeit inexpensive. As mentioned above, the plastic is attached to the "inside' at the top. To install it you have to work it up into the upper part of the door. That is where it gets difficult to get your hands in there with the glass etc. The best way is to have nothing in the door. Don't even go there unless you like puzzles, as putting all that back in is one big puzzle.
Do as mentioned, cut some plastic sheeting and stick it to the door at the top and drape it so it goes inside the door at the bottom. Use the yellow trim cement strip glue at any auto parts store in the tube. I use contact cement (each to their own).

I have a template for a pattern here that I was considering making plastic covers, I just haven't gotten around to cutting them out yet since we just moved into our new home. Soon, I will make some and have them for just a few dollars for a pair. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the plastic weather liner inside the doors of my S4 spider and it was a major project. The plastic sheet is about 4 mils thick. To get plastic that thick you have to buy a huge roll of it, albeit inexpensive. As mentioned above, the plastic is attached to the "inside' at the top. To install it you have to work it up into the upper part of the door. That is where it gets difficult to get your hands in there with the glass etc. The best way is to have nothing in the door. Don't even go there unless you like puzzles, as putting all that back in is one big puzzle.
Do as mentioned, cut some plastic sheeting and stick it to the door at the top and drape it so it goes inside the door at the bottom. Use the yellow trim cement strip glue at any auto parts store in the tube. I use contact cement (each to their own).

I have a template for a pattern here that I was considering making plastic covers, I just haven't gotten around to cutting them out yet since we just moved into our new home. Soon, I will make some and have them for just a few dollars for a pair. :)
I'm just now getting back to this task of installing the plastic liner, and I wonder how important it is to "tuck" the new plastic liner up into (behind) the top door trim piece? Since I already have the inner door panel (card) removed, I'm seeking advice on my question.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
no need to....tucking it in at the bottom is the important part

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Trust me on this one, you do not want to attempt to try and install the plastic on the inside of the door. It must have been one of the very first things that went in before the pulleys, cables, motors and speakers. I use the yellow weather trim cement. Lubricate the cables while you are in there, and clean the bottom drain holes of any debris. Like it is mentioned, tuck the bottom in so the water doesn't come inside the car.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trust me on this one, you do not want to attempt to try and install the plastic on the inside of the door. It must have been one of the very first things that went in before the pulleys, cables, motors and speakers. I use the yellow weather trim cement. Lubricate the cables while you are in there, and clean the bottom drain holes of any debris. Like it is mentioned, tuck the bottom in so the water doesn't come inside the car.
Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good discussion". I hadn’t given those black sheets much thought. Now I know why it’s there and why the inside of my door cards have water stains. Now that I have new rubber around the window, i’ll Go back in to replace the plastic sheet....and lube the window cables.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts