Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what type of glue to use on the plastic surround for the sunroof handle on an 84 GTV6? Mine was broken while being painted recently and I would like to try and re-glue it, but I am not sure what type of glue would work best. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Galt Morgan

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
If using cyanoacrylate here, first use a primer on each surface, e.g. Loctite 7239, to increase the strength of the bond. Call some local hardware stores. You might be able to find a convenient blister pack with small bottles of both products just for this kind of task.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,612 Posts
Best answer really depends on what type of plastic. If it's ABS (which is likely) it's reasonably easy to glue as it can be solvent bonded quite strong, you just need to be careful about the cosmetics. This will work much better than cyanoacrylate.

Devcon plastic welder is quite good, especially if you can put a big band of it on the back as a structural patch where you're not going to see it.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to Tom and Alex for your input. Unfortunately, my auto parts and hardware stores where not very knowledgable not carried much in the way of glues for ABS. I also tried Hobby Lobby as well. I ended up using an ethyl cyanoacrylate gel that seems to have bonded the part quite well. Luckily the part is cosmetic only and does not appear to need additional structural strength.

Regards,

Galt

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Try Home Depot or Lowes. In the plumbing department many pipes are made of ABS and they sell ABS glue. They also have in the same section All Purpose Glue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts