Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble getting the plastic edging to bend around the concole wood. 90 degree turns cause it to buckle up. I have tried to warm it up over a stove or in hot water and this helps it bend but I find that it still buckles outwards on the bend. One thing I have learned is that that over heating the edging tends to bleach out its lovely gold colour...

Attached is a picture of an old one where the bend has worked well, but I am having trouble reproducing this.

Does anyone have experience in fitting this plastic edging? There must be a tried and tested method.

I sourced the edging from Re-originals.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Get your tea pot warmed up. Dip the piping in, form it to the wood tape in place once cool it will hold. We get our shop stock from alfaholics

·
Registered
133 Posts
While you're replacing that edging, you should also consider restoring the colour of the wood. It's not meant to be this terrible faded tan colour, but a lovely burgundy-brown. Mine were exactly like yours, but I have the benefit of owning a thickness sander, which I used to accurately strip the coating and the top few tenths of a millimetre to expose the original wood. Then re-coated in a nice thick coat of satin polyurethane.

The correct original colour is shown here: dscn0392 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts