Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting the plastic edging to bend around the concole wood. 90 degree turns cause it to buckle up. I have tried to warm it up over a stove or in hot water and this helps it bend but I find that it still buckles outwards on the bend. One thing I have learned is that that over heating the edging tends to bleach out its lovely gold colour...

Attached is a picture of an old one where the bend has worked well, but I am having trouble reproducing this.

Does anyone have experience in fitting this plastic edging? There must be a tried and tested method.

I sourced the edging from Re-originals.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
While you're replacing that edging, you should also consider restoring the colour of the wood. It's not meant to be this terrible faded tan colour, but a lovely burgundy-brown. Mine were exactly like yours, but I have the benefit of owning a thickness sander, which I used to accurately strip the coating and the top few tenths of a millimetre to expose the original wood. Then re-coated in a nice thick coat of satin polyurethane.

The correct original colour is shown here: dscn0392 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.