Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all - I'll post this in the Spider and GT forums to be see if there is interest in an engine stand adapter I designed and manufactured for my own use. It is designed to allow the motor with sump to rotate through 360 degrees while mated to a "standard" engine stand - mine being Harbor Freight. The bracket is CNC plasma cut from .25in mild steel plate and the tube is cut from .15in thick 2.375in OD pipe. To make the part easier to weld I used one gusset and let the pipe through the plate to allow it to be welded on both sides.

I'd like to offer all the parts you see here as a You-Weld-It kit for a reasonable price, approx $50. I'm still refining prices with my suppliers and volume may push that number about some.

I am open to TIG welding the part to order for a higher price - but - this is complicated by my changing schedule and frankly lack of understand about how liability works for such a thing. I've been welding for decades, trust my welds and tested the part but I don't run a factory.

If you are interested in either version please post here and let me know!

Rus in CT

3d.JPG
Photo Oct 11, 6 43 48 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 12, 7 41 11 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 18, 7 17 31 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 18, 7 17 51 PM.jpg

Hello all - I'll post this in the Spider and GT forums to be see if there is interest in an engine stand adapter I designed and manufactured for my own use. It is designed to allow the motor with sump to rotate through 360 degrees while mated to a "standard" engine stand - mine being Harbor Freight. The bracket is CNC plasma cut from 1/4in mild steel plate and the tube is cut from 1/4in thick 2.375in OD pipe. To make the part easier to weld I used one gusset and let the pipe through the plate to allow it to be welded on both sides.

I'd like to offer all the parts you see here as a You-Weld-It kit for a reasonable price, approx $50. I'm still refining prices with my suppliers and volume may push that number about some.

I am open to TIG welding the part to order for a higher price - but - this is complicated by my changing schedule and frankly lack of understand about how liability works for such a thing. I've been welding for decades, trust my welds and tested the part but I don't run a factory.

Rus in CT

3d.JPG
Photo Oct 11, 6 43 48 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 12, 7 41 11 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 18, 7 17 31 PM.jpg
Photo Oct 18, 7 17 51 PM.jpg

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I'd be interested, particularly in a welded up edition. I'm assuming that is a 2.0L. Do you, or anyone on here, know if the bolt holes are the same for a 101 1600?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your interest. Yes - I am testing the stand on my 2.0 SPICA motor. I can send a printable template to someone who wants to check other motors' bolt patterns.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'd be interested. Pre-made engine stand adapters have been NLA for a while now. I'm guessing you won't have too many takers for a non-welded version. Anybody with the welding skills is probably just going to make their own.

Also, it's probably fine given the light weight of the Alfa engine, but extending it so you can rotate 360 degrees does make for a longer moment arm and more stress on the stand (and perhaps a bit less stability). You can still rotate 360 degrees even if it won't clear the pan wings, you just have to rotate back in the opposite direction. If you are worried about liability, you could reduce stress on the assembly with a slightly shorter arm.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I'd like one, either way, kit form or welded up. My stand has a 3" I.D. bore so I'd need a 2-3/4 O.D. adapter pipe, over your pipe. I have a local welder that does good work too. I wish that I had this adapter when I rebuilt my Duetto engine last year...

I am a lousy welder but I used to work with a metallurgical testing lab that also did welder certification. I know a good weld when I see one and yours look very good. I'd be willing to sigh a release if necessary.

Mark

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first version was shorter and worked the way you described. I talked this through with some members and think the current version has the flexibility to extend out if 360° rotation is a must have but then move back in to lower the moment arm.

I hear your point about welded vs you-weld. It would help me if anyone interested clarifies whether they are a customer for one version or the other.

Thanks all.

·
Push hard and live
10,888 Posts
I’m happy with or without welding. Long tubes better as my two-sided stand can shrink or expand to fit engine stand.

When I first hung my Montreal engine on it, I lost my grip and the engine rotated nearly 360 degrees. The stand didn’t shift, move or wobble. My heart stopped for a moment, though.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don your experience mimics mine. My only close calls have been with letting the motor rotate in an uncontrolled fashion. Even my puny HF stand has never come close to tipping or showing any fatigue and I've been using it for years, have built two 911 motors and an iron block BMW six on it with no complaint.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I’d buy a welded version

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys - I have more than enough enthusiasm from you all to put the first batch into production. I hope to have parts back early next week and bump this thread with a link to a new "for sale" thread with the final price and details.

·
Premium Member
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider
110 Posts
Hello all - I'll post this in the Spider and GT forums to be see if there is interest in an engine stand adapter I designed and manufactured for my own use. It is designed to allow the motor with sump to rotate through 360 degrees while mated to a "standard" engine stand - mine being Harbor Freight. The bracket is CNC plasma cut from 1/4in mild steel plate and the tube is cut from 1/4in thick 2.375in OD pipe. To make the part easier to weld I used one gusset and let the pipe through the plate to allow it to be welded on both sides.

Rus in CT

View attachment 1654065 View attachment 1654066 View attachment 1654067 View attachment 1654068 View attachment 1654069

Rus in CT

View attachment 1654070 View attachment 1654071 View attachment 1654072 View attachment 1654073 View attachment 1654074
would you be willing to share the gcode file? I have a cnc and could cut one for myself.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
What would you need to make an adapter for this engine stand?

It would need to bolt up to the plate since its a worm gear set up to rotate the engine. Its worth every penny.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice stand. There are a bunch of ways to handle that - I don't know if I'm quite up to a full custom job without being in the same room as the stand but could mail you a kit of parts that you or a welder could use to mod the stand...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Would this be used for a complete engine? I'd be concerned with the weight of complete engine hanging on one engine mount. The studs are screwed into the block and doubt they are designed to withstand the load. When both mounts are used the studs are carrying less load and most of it is sheer stress. In this configuration the entire weight of the engine is loaded on the top screw under axial load (pull out) pulling on the threads in the aluminum block. I'd be nervous with all internals and a head on the block.

Reactions: JerryA
1 - 20 of 119 Posts