Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drove used Spiders in her 20's, and for her 50th, I'm thinking of buying her a fairly solid driver as a birthday present.

I used the MFSE, but couldn't find a thread on "buying a used alfa". Thought there would be a sticky for sure.

At any rate, can I buy a driver spider which isnt a total rust bucket for 5K ish? It will only be driven in summer (we live in CT) and probably less than 1500 miles per year.

I will comb through posts looking for "things to look for" but my expectations around this vehicle aren't very high. Just something that she can casually drive short distances on nice summer weekends.

She really liked her spiders, they were daily drivers for her in her 20's, and she lived with all the problems inherent, especially owning one in Boston.

Thanks for all your guidance and warnings (or encouragement)!

Mick in CT

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Your best buy Spider with reliability and lots od used parts would be the 82 to 89 S3 Spider in my humble opinion.
$5K is not an totally unrealistic price as Spiders are selling at very discounted prices.
First thing to look for is RUST....
If you found a Spider in the 7K$ range that was in good shape mechanically etc, that would be a better buy than a $5K Spider that "needs work", especially if you are not planning to do the work yourself.
Best regards, Elio

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Mick,

Where in CT are you located? There are members of the CT Chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club that could give you advice and help in your search for a Spider.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Mick,

On the Second Sunday of every month, at 10 AM, the Connecticut Alfa Club (AROC_CT) meets for brunch at Leo's Restaurant, located at 7 Poverty Road in Southbury. So, let me invite you to join us on April 10. I'm sure you can get a lot of good ideas from the group.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You will do better if you a not afraid to look farther afield. There are more "less rust" spiders in the south and southwest than in New England unless you find one which was garaged during the winters. I bought a "rust free" spider that was sold and kept in Maryland, but it had some rust anyway. I now have a Quad which was sold in ST Louis, MO and then went to southern CA. Finally ended up in Seattle WA, which was where I bought it from. Again, seller described it as "rust free", which it was not. I bought it sight unseen and paid $1,000 to have it shipped to Memphis, TN. If I had been in Seattle I would not have bought it. The seller had some great pictures of it, or of a better looking Quad also painted red.

But I got it, an 88, for $4,400 so I can't say I was cheated. $5,400 total in it and it is a Quad and had it's factory hardtop with it, so I can't really complain. Saving feature is that it is so quick.

Anyway, try to go see what you are buying up front and don't be shy about lifting the carpets or putting it on a rack and having a go at it with an ice pick from the under side.

I know there are other considerations to look for in a Spider, but IMHO, you can fix anything EXCEPT massive rust. So that is the deal breaker up front, or at least it is with me.

Let us know what you finally end up buying, with lots of pictures.

Good Luck, Robert in Memphis, TN

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts