Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum for this but wasn't able to find what I am looking for. My 84 Spider Veloce is in need of an engine overhaul ( amongst other things ). I am looking for a slight performance boost, nothing crazy, and I want to keep the stock Bosch fuel injection. What cam, piston combo can I use ? I cant seem to find any cams listed that claim to work with the Bosch system. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,045 Posts
one thing that will really help is get your pistons coated at ' swan coatings ' in new york.. molly on the sides and ceramic on the crowns the molly on the sides will make the piston very slippery in the cly, and the ceramic crown coating will keep all the heat in the combustion chamber( more power) and if you ever get detonaion the ceramic will prevnet burn thru.. swan coatings.. just do a search on yahoo.. the molly/ ceramic coatings are 38.00 per piston..

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info, I looked them up. It looks interesting... I wonder if/how much that stuff works. Have you any experience with them ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The website is: Swain Tech Coatings for engine piston coatings, race engine coatings, ceramic header coating, carbide metal coatings, thermal spray plasma coating, metalizing closures, spray welding. I have used them for pistons & rotating compnents on bike engines, but only because it offers that last little bit of protection. I like the piston coating for protection but seriously doubt that there would be any measurable performance improvement. Remember: horsepower is developed in the head. I cannot comment on cams because I don't know where you want the horsepower gain or what you're willing to sacrifice in driveability. But a professional valve job & porting will wake-up your engine quite a bit. Just rebuilding a tired engine will result in a modest improvement. Be careful with modifications that could make your Alfa tempermental. It could result in a car that's fast but not fun to drive.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found that IAP has cams that are listed for my car. Rocket, I am not looking to make my car a race car ( been there done that ), just a fun driver. I am leaning towards the IAP cams, 10.0-1 Motronics, and a mild port job on the head. Does that sound like a temper-mental ride ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just found that IAP has cams that are listed for my car. Rocket, I am not looking to make my car a race car ( been there done that ), just a fun driver. I am leaning towards the IAP cams, 10.0-1 Motronics, and a mild port job on the head. Does that sound like a temper-mental ride ?
I haven't done a rebuild, but if/when i do, that is the direction i plan to go. I also was thinking of oversized valves in addition to port and polish. I'd be interested in any feedback as well. or dyno sheets if out there.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phil at least you will have the benefit of a first hand before and after. My car has not run yet, and I am yet to drive it. I am torn between completely stock or going the way I mentioned. If I run into any drive-ability issues how will I know if its the mod or a normal part failure/issue ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
You will get a few opinions on this subject, but bolting-on parts will not be as simple as the IAP catalog makes it sound. First, because these motors have separate intake & exhaust cams, you can "dial" them in. Greater minds on here will tell you of the various opening/closing specs that can be used to develope more power in the rev range that you want it. You're not limited to the general specs given by the cam manufacturer. Next, the engine is just an air pump. So modifications to the engine internals must be matched to intake & exhaust capabilities. Finally, the Jet Tronic ECU operates within a pre-programed range. Can it provide the correct fuel/air mixture for the modifications you're planning? Perhaps there is an aftermarket chip or a company that can " re-flash" the chip? I don't know about either possibility.
Point is: you're about to become an engineer that is redesigning the engine. It may be worthwhile to have a pro do the job & know that all the components are friendly and you end-up with an engine that you will enjoy and will be durable. Ask ALOT of questions. There is a ton of very capable people on this site and they are anxious to help you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Phil at least you will have the benefit of a first hand before and after. My car has not run yet, and I am yet to drive it. I am torn between completely stock or going the way I mentioned. If I run into any drive-ability issues how will I know if its the mod or a normal part failure/issue ?
Yea, that will be good to know if you blow a hole in a piston or have to do 6k clutch dumps to keep from stalling at red lights after the rebuild. :D

but seriously, the L-jet, from my limited experience with it at stock config, is that it is very reliable, produces a nice smooth idle below 1000 rpm, produces good linear(ish) torque all the way through just over 6000 rpm and is efficient enough to get just under 30 mpg average.

The other comment above is true, swapping the exhaust manifold for an older 2-piece type with low restriction exhaust freed up some ummph over the clogged and restricted stock manifold and cat. Other mods will be limited by the Ljet system as a whole.

To find out what they are like stock, join an AROC or stop by on your way through FL and we will go for a ride.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rocket, you make some good points. I am asking questions !! So far .... from what I have heard, is that my plan will work fine. I am not looking to make this a nitro methane burning dragster !! Just a tick above stock cam, good flowing head and exhaust. I was told that the stock ECU will be just fine with all that. I will have to adjust the AFM and possibly the coolant temp sensor resistance. If anyone knows this is not true by all means jump in.
Phil, thanks for the offer !! I wish I was there to take you up on it. We made the trip in Feb, will be another year or two before we are back.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

From what I heard (and I'm about to test it after I'll finish my rebuild) changing the fan to an electric one can help too.
You may want to replace your flywheel too in order to get better performance.
(I didn't do that either)
Good luck,
Saar.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
There are a number of threads that address this question. I've given up on using the AlfaBB search feature to find anything. It works better to use Google.

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
1) L-jetronic is not 'chipable'. It should prove adequate for any reasonable street driving. The limiting factors for much higher HP are the fuel injector flow rates & the air flow through the AFM & throttle body.

The stock air filter is very good. It pulls in cool air from the grill area. The bolt-on K&N filter draws in hot underhood air. That may (or may not...?) lower HP. And the K&N doesn't simply bolt on - unless they have improved the mounting you may need to fabricate some brackets to secure the AFM & K&N filter.

2) In stock form & in good condition (not clapped out) the 2L Alfa engine made ~ 120HP. I would suggest for street use a stock rebuild is sufficient. Save your money for driving school and tighten up the loose nut holding the steering wheel. Even a mildly hot rodded Alfa Spider is not going to win a drag race with a modern car (or SUV or even mini van). But it will be a lot more fun to drive and it can surprise most modern cars if driven well on the twisty roads. But that nut holding the steering wheel has to be in good condition...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone know who has "stock" cams available ? It seems all the vendors have some sort of performance cams, but no stock replacements.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Give Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange (the number is in the parts supplier list in the Anything about Alfas forum).
He'll have some stock cams and some good suggestions about which years to choose.

FWIW it seems to work a lot better to call him rather than email...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Howdy. Great questions. Having just had my 84 sort of rebuilt. My mechanic convinced me with the over size valves. He did that plus head gasket plus replaced the intake man plus a few other things. Bottom kind is I think if said it brought the hp up about 7 to ten more. Ok now driving her here is what I noticed other than running better etc. Sounds a bit throatier. Not sure why but I like it. Mid and top range seem to have more noticeable oomph. Like folks said though She ain't no race car but she is now even more fun to drive. Side note, I know he had to do a tiny bit of grinding or something for the over size valves and of course some other adjustments - timing adjustments etc - but all in all I am happy with the changes.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you are doing a complete overhaul and will be replacing pistons and liners, you may want to consider the 10:1 CR Motronic set. I would not replace the camshafts with stock units without doing some research. Richard Jemison on the AlfaBB (Alfar7) is very knowledgeable regarding camshaft design to meet specific needs. As mentioned above, substituting the 4 into 1 exhaust manifold with the earlier, 4 into 2, two piece manifold is something else to consider.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts