Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headlight wire route on S4?

I'm fixing to mess with the S4 Spider again and am back to ask for some more advice.
First question: I am installing new relays for the headlights and am wondering what the best place to put them is. The junction box fed by the alternator is on the inner fender wall on the driver's side; it seems to make sense to locate the relays in that general neighborhood. (Attached is a photo of that area of the engine bay -- the junciton box is in the right center next to the black power steering fluid reservoir.) But, I am wondering where exactly would be the best place to install the relays so that they dont get in the way of anything and are safe from injury. If anybody has found a really good place, I'd appreciate the word.
Second question: I removed one of the headlights to access the wiring. I found that the headlight power wires run into the headlight bucket from inside the fender. Can anyone tell me where they emerge on the other end? Do they run into the engine compartment, and, if so, where? I need to find them so that I can re-route them to the relays.
Many Thanks. David

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much, Elio. Indeed, I had seen your post and was really impressed by your setup. But, the relays I am using are the full-sized ones by Bosch (about 1"x1"x1"). They look like they ought to be mounted on a vertical surface like the side of the engine compartment. (Got them from danielsternlighting.com) For this reason, I dont think that they lend themselves to the nifty installation you described in which you used vinyl tubing. Do you recall how/where you accessed the wires that lead to the headlight buckets? They disappear through the back of the bucket and into the fender, and I haven't the foggiest idea where to find them from there.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If it's like the S3, they ride the harness along the top of the left fender, then shoot in next to the radiator framework that's welded there.

The right headlight takes the same route, but instead of going down into the left fender, it splits off and shoots across the front of the radiator near the hood hinges, then tucks in behind the framework on that side.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Tifosi. I will check to see if it's the same for an S4. I will post what I find asap - though that might be a day or two 'cause I have to go to work tomorrow, Grrrrr. DH

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,071 Posts
Mine draw power from that junction box and are mounted directly in front of it. Seems to work fine: they haven't been in the way at all.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yup, that's where I put mine.

One of the 'features' of the relay setup: you can put the headlight stalk between high and low beam and both will be turned on, yet there's no need to worry about buring up the stalk switch while doing it. (you know, in case you want to burn the paint of the car in front of you)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it's like the S3, they ride the harness along the top of the left fender, then shoot in next to the radiator framework that's welded there.

The right headlight takes the same route, but instead of going down into the left fender, it splits off and shoots across the front of the radiator near the hood hinges, then tucks in behind the framework on that side.

Tifosi, I can't locate the wires on my S4 in the same places you report them being in an S3. There are plenty of wires, for sure, along the top of the left fender. But I can't find that any of them shoot into the fender down near the radiator. Also, I don't find any wires that split off the left-side bundle and shoot across the front of the radiator near the hood hinge. Hmmm -- S3 headlight wiring seems to be routed differently than an S4.

So, does anybody have any experience with the headlight wire routing on an S4?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I suppose you could remove a headlight and tug at the connector a bit to see where they go to. :shrug:

Really, I can't even imagine where else they could go. (certainly not in the wheelwell as that would be just retarded even on a Yugo)

Hopefully someone who knows fur sur will have a picture or description soon.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I suppose you could remove a headlight and tug at the connector a bit to see where they go to. :shrug:

Really, I can't even imagine where else they could go. (certainly not in the wheelwell as that would be just retarded even on a Yugo)

Hopefully someone who knows fur sur will have a picture or description soon.
You're right, TIfosi. Where else could they go? Somebody's bound to have done this before -- surely, I'm not the first. Anybody?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts