Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm hoping some of you who are not in the US can email me or post some pictures of the stock engine compartment, showing the air filter box of late model 116 GT. The Alfetta GT body style, that I believe was not really called an Alfetta in the mid 80s. We just call them all Alfettas here in the US.

I want to see what a Bosch EFI stock engine compartment looks like. I have
a TS in my Alfetta GT and I now cannot keep my cone style K&N filter on it for the inspection. I want to see what the stock setup looks like in a, say, 1985 or 1986 Alfetta to see how the air box is mounted and fitted.

Thanks.
Direct emails can go to [email protected]

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the photo. Do the 4-cylinder versions have the same air box, or a different one? I was hoping to see a 116 GT 4-cylinder Bosch engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Would it be any different than a '87 Spider?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
There is no such thing as an injected 4cyl Alfetta GTV-they were all carburettored (Dellortos and Solex-Webers too dirty in the idle circuits) right until the end of production in `84/85. The V6 116`s were injected though, right from the onset.
In the rest of the world we call all the 116 cars Alfettas (they were marketed this way) but distinguish the variant eg Alfetta saloon (or Berlina)/Alfetta GT/Alfetta GTV and just GTV6 although lately to distinguish from the later 916 cars started to be called Alfetta GTV6.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
ok i re-read that...you have a twinspark in a gtv6/fetta body....i didnt think they made any TS coupes......course the milano has ruffly the same front inner fender structure ..sounds like you need some underhood shots of a TS milano

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
There is no such thing as an injected 4cyl Alfetta GTV-they were all carburettored (Dellortos and Solex-Webers too dirty in the idle circuits) right until the end of production in `84/85. The V6 116`s were injected though, right from the onset.
In the rest of the world we call all the 116 cars Alfettas (they were marketed this way) but distinguish the variant eg Alfetta saloon (or Berlina)/Alfetta GT/Alfetta GTV and just GTV6 although lately to distinguish from the later 916 cars started to be called Alfetta GTV6.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6.
All Alfa's sold in the US from 1969 were fuel injected. Including the Alfetta Sedans and Coupes.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Alfettish you are right in that the US Alfetta GT`s/GTV`s had the Weber -Spica mechanical injection system -I`d temporarily forgotten but Stefano (iachella) asked whether he could get a pic of the engine bay of a non USA Bosch electronic fuel injected 4cyl Alfetta GTV to copy the air filter layout. There are of course no factory EFI versions.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, if no EFI factory versions exist, then my question is moot. Although the GTV6 box pictured by sh0rtlife is useful. I think it might fit and not foul (aussie term I've learned on this BB) the plenum/manifold. The tube from the TB to the AFM seems to be the right length too, just bend it slightly to the right.

I could have sworn that all 4 clylinders went Bosch in the 80s though.

Thank you all.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I am also in California and as long as your car did not come with a mass air flow sensor (and we know it did not) you can have the K&N style air filter. Air controll in our cars were a flapper type not wire mesh screen so it's OK. This info comes from one of my good friends who has run a smog only station in California for over twenty years.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'll snap some pics of my 75 TS this afternoon. The engine bay is almost exactly the same as the GTV so you can probably go straight from that.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
The Twin Spark 75 is the best bet as alfettish states-basically same car, different clothes.

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the air box for the Alfa 75 which came with the TS engine. The engine bay of the sedan is a little roomier than the GT and the air box sticks up to high to close the hood. I think either the GTV6 air box or, as AlfaTango1 says, the K&N filter will not be a problem. I think I will do a pre-test and see what they say.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I own a 1982 alfetta-gtv, but as far as I am concerned they were marketed as gtv2.0 (as the badge of the car shows). Unfortunately I can`t take a shot of the original air-box of the twin Dellorto set-up as I installed a pair of sport filters the previous owner gave me along with a pair of 45mm Dellortos. This box is quite big, but it grows downwards. I think that you can use a K&N air filter along with a custom made pipe. If you go this way yo can use tape as insulation of the exhaust manifold to get the temp down and have cooler air in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Stefano - I found this pic of a GTV-6 with a TS installed. Unfortunately, it's taken from the wrong side, and the lighting sucks, but thought I'd toss it out there...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jeff:

I saw that picture on the GTV6.org and emailed the guy. He put a filter on and "built a box around it". Since the GTV6 airbox looks like it could work with the TS, I have found a local GTV6 owner and will meet up shortly and compare our cars side by side. It would certainly be easier to find a spare GTV6 box here in the US. I could be posting on the classifieds soon for a GTV6 box from someone who has ditched theirs.

I will try to confirm the claim above that cars equiped with AFMs can run an open filter. I'll do a pre-test soon and see what they tell me I need. If they say something about the filter, I'll quiz them and ask them to verify.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Here's my conversion

I decided to destinkify my Weber conversion. Although curved ram pipes are cool to look at and make an awesome roar at full throttle, the constant fuel smell and dumping crankcase fumes overboard were bothering me. Also, when I bought the car a PO had installed a rigged linkage over the top of the carbs, mounted to the cam cover. It worked fine, but I just did not like the look of that either. An Alfa engine is a thing of beauty, especially the cam cover. My over the top throttle setup interfered with the airbox. So I pieced together a stock airbox and assorted throttle linkage and cam cover vent etc. from my trip to Australia, and even though the cars there are right hand drive, I was able to use most of the linkage and hand fabricated the Spica pull lever arm to a carbureted push. The first photo is after, the second is the before. Now she is a bit quieter, and no more crankcase fumes.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts