Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for a 1984 spider 4 cly top ring 1.50 mm, second ring 2.0 mm , 3rd ring ( oil control ) 4.00 mm is this right? thanks

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Some later 2L rings have the thicker 2nd ring. I know because I got a set with the thicker 2nd ring but it wouldn't fit the motronic pistons I recently installed. They use 1.5 on 1st and 2nd rings. I would call Hastings to be sure.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I hear alot about Hastings? why? We are rebuilding your basic 2 liter spider engine, why would we not use the rings as supplied with the liners and pistons?

It seems a waste to discard the factory rings.

Also, I have heard about rod bolt stretch and rod bolts can be used only once. Does this hold true for our 2 liter engines, red locktite on the threads?

thanks

·
Premium Member
13,102 Posts
why would we not use the rings as supplied with the liners and pistons?
Because many of us have had problems with factory rings that never seal properly and we have had much better results with Hastings.

·
Premium Member
6,348 Posts
Mainly the oil ring. The stock oil ring is of one piece construction whereas the aftermarket oil control rings are three piece. They perform better. The Hastings rings seat right off the bat. You'd be surprised how many folks have had the blue smoke diease with the stock rings. Total Seal rings are very good too but take a little longer to seat. Devees rings are also good but can be tricky to seat. All have 3 piece oil rings. This is just a theory and a opinion but with a cast iron block the cylinders are cleaned in a vat so cleaning prior to assembly isn't as critical but with the Alfa the liners are not cleaned with the block and must be cleaned separately and pass the white glove test. Even new ones will blacken a white glove. Clean them throughly and the stock rings will work. Nevertheless a three piece oil ring is preferable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts