Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cleaning up some used pistons. I have the pins out and cleaned up the holes for the pins which now slide in and out with some slight pressure.

The pins have some oil stains on them. Is it critical that I clean the pins of this stain, and if so what can I use to do that with out doing some harm to clearances or to the surface of the pin?

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
First try carb cleaner Chris. If that doesn'y do it, 600 wet & dry paper will. Pins are hardened. #600 won't change clearances unless you polish all day.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Brake cleaner is another good one. You may want to save your old circlips. The ones that came with my last piston set were almost plain wire and wouldn't spring back into the groove. I ended up using the old ones that were real spring steel.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your information. I didn't want to start sanding on the pins with something to hard, at worst coarse steel wool. I know the tolerances are tight so any change would affect the small end. I will get some 600/800 wet/dry and go at it. Shouldn't take much, just wanted to err on the side of caution.
I do have my old circlips.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
I agree, was posting exact same when phone rang.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used some 3000 paper that I had laying around with some carb cleaner. The stains won't come out but the pin is real smooth and goes in and out of the piston with out to much pressure applied. There is some pressure as it feels like a new piston. I will not do more than that. Thank you for the replies!
Christopher

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
I usually use MEK to get rid of burned on stains but it is getting harder to find. Lowes and Home Depot no longer carry it. I bought a gallon on ebay.

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
If smooth and they fit, you are good to go Chris.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finished up the pins last night and there is just enough interference fit to make it a small effort to push them in to place. I am done and will install the circlips that came with the pistons.
Look for my next post on connecting rod bolts. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts