Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to push a piston liner back into the block?
Long story short I turned the crank on the parts block and a liner came shooting up with the piston, 1 piston ring came off too. Just wanted to ask before I get my hands dirty.

I kno I kno I wasnt thinking!!!!

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
THe problem is that the seal at the bottom of the liner gets disturbed and will leak coolant into the oil. However if this is a parts car and you don't plan on using it, or will rebuild it before using it and replace the seal, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
Liner oring is issue like Dick says also which ring popped out if lower oil ring out bottom no easy way to compress it but if top compression ring use a ring compressor to squeeze it back into piston.

This liner movement is why it is important to install liner hold down washers, tubing and head nut and washer on enough head studs to keep all 6 liners in block if crank gets moved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting post.

I just finished reassembling my 24V engine to change the 2 head gaskets.
What was my surprise when i discovered that oil leaks in coolant and vice versa.
I came to the conclusion that one o-ring down one liner was damaged but not sure for the moment.
I must say that this trouble occured already before i disassemble the heads.

I am now very disapointed to open the bloc again ...:(

I will try to see by removing the oil pan if i see any leak on the liner after putting the coolant circuit under pressure. At least it will save me (may be) one head disassembling ... if i see something.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Hopefully it is the front head!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The O-ring sealing the piston liner to the block was damaged and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know were these can be picked up/ordered?

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
Liner o-ring for 3.0L is 60507425. Most any vendor of Alfa parts should carry it. Not to sure you can install it very well without stretching it too much over top of liner without pulling pan and removing piston, rod and liner from engine block though so you can install it normally from botton of liner.

You will need a pan gasket and ring compressor to get piston and rings back in liner from top too.

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys,

ended up pulling the piston out so will install from bottom. The pistons look very good and so do the liners, should I be thinking about new rings while I'm in there?

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
I recently replaced just one bad liner and one set of piston rings on a engine with seized piston due to blown head gasket. I honed out a good used liner, checked taper and piston clearance and new rings end gaps etc., and left other 7 alone. Engine tested good running on test stand in garage afterwards.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Has anyone ever successfully installed a liner O-ring from the top?

Hmmm. I have a spare (2 liter) 4 cylinder block and liners laying around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts