Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first removed these from the cylinder I didn't notice any damage. Took them to a machine shop to get the rods checked, and when one of the guys removed the ring he found the damage shown in the third picture. At first I thought the "020" indicated the second oversize, but according to the machinist, he measured them as standard. Anyway I am checking to see if anyone has a replacement. Thanks in advance for looking

Dennis

20201218_132441.jpg 20201218_132506.jpg 20201218_132253.jpg

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Looks like a stock 2L 9 to 1 piston.
I have a couple of them in decent condition. One is marked .076 and the other is .018

I can weigh them if you like.

·
Super Moderator
12,238 Posts
How are the skirts on your other 3? If they show scoring, get MORE than 1 from Ed! these are easy to balance for equal weight on a gram scale.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a stock 2L 9 to 1 piston.
I have a couple of them in decent condition. One is marked .076 and the other is .018

I can weigh them if you like.
How much do you want for them? Also, how does one determine the compression ratio by sight?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are the skirts on your other 3? If they show scoring, get MORE than 1 from Ed! these are easy to balance for equal weight on a gram scale.
I will have go to the machine shop Monday to weigh the other three. How critical is scoring on the skirts? While I have not been into one of these engines before, on other various engines I have seen scoring on piston skirts before and found it to be fairly common. It is quiet possible I neglected to correct these others by not replacing pistons when I should have but as far as I know I haven't had any problems because of it as long as the cylinder walls were good and the rings sealed. Of course I did this for customers who were on a budget.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
If there used. There all going to have some amount of scoring. That question is best answered by your machine shop.

As to compression. All the 2 liters used the 9.5 to 1 piston's from 72 to 89 as the stock piston. The euro high compression pistons 10.5 to 1 are noticeable to most Alfa people who have been doing this a long time.

There are not a whole lot of choices like there are for on makes.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Also, how does one determine the compression ratio by sight?
By shape. The stock pistons are claimed to be 9 to 1 with an uncut head . In practice they are more like 8.7.
The higher compression pistons have a different dome shape.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I find the most critical measurement that is over looked is the slop in the piston rings lands.. been there done that by a reputable shop when he misread thous vs huns. clearances... Chattered the rings to particles but it was fun at 7500 RPM

·
Registered
1980 - alfa romeo spider- 2.0 spica
1 Posts
$50 for two including USPS Priority shipping to the Lower 48.
Hello, I am the owner of the motor that is need of the pistons. I would like to make the purchase. Please inform me how to make payment. This is my first time on the site.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a set of pistons/liners from my 2000 rebuild this summer. Replaced them with Motoronic piston/liners.
They are in very good condition, with no ridge in the top of the liner, had good compression, rings look good.
I thing they may have been replaced by a P/O, as the piston are AE brand on the inside and have very little ware.
Can take pic if any interest.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Hello, I am the owner of the motor that is need of the pistons. I would like to make the purchase. Please inform me how to make payment. This is my first time on the site.
email me at [email protected].
Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts