Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had to replace a liner on my turbo alfetta engine and at the same time found that #2 piston had got stuck in the bore and lost a piece of it's crown as a result.
The strange part was the #1 piston had damage as if debris had entered then left the cylinder.

My question is, can debris from one cylinder somehow end up in another adjacent cylinder?

I have had a look at my turbo and its vanes all look ok so I can't explain where the debris has come from.

Cheers

George

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, that can absolutely happen, especially on turbo cars as the pressure between the turbine and exhaust valve is often higher than intake pressure, so during overlap stuff can go backwards.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
HPSI Motorsports - Performance Products for Street and Race (under construction)
OKINJECTORS--Gasoline and Diesel Injector Cleaning, Rebuild, Overhaul, and Testing Services
Ah good so it can happen.
I'm not sure if was on boost when the piston got damaged though.
I have spit a liner before at the same track without water/methanol and did no damage to any pistons (forged JE's), but I did shut the engine down very soon after the liner failed.
This time when I accidentally ran out of water/methanol the same thing happened but I foolishly decided to limp the car around the track back to the pits, I think if I had shut the engine down I would have only had a split liner and no damaged pistons.

I think (as a result of running the engine with little or no coolant left) the slow limp back to the pits did the damage to the piston, if this is the case the bit of piston that broke off would have done so off-boost.

But I'm only guessing what might have gone wrong and when.

Cheers

George

1 - 3 of 3 Posts