Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm pressing on to other concerns.

Over the years of doing business internationally, I've found that most often a vendor or customer will not grasp that other nations have different laws. Kind of like California and the rest of the country. So, we're all surprised when there's a direct conflict.

Pirelli has an official presence in the US. If one of their "summer" tires fails with a tragic outcome, they'll probably have an expensive lesson. I don't wish that to happen, of course. What I believe they're doing now is assuming that Americans, just like Europeans, will use the universally understood common sense. Of course, there is no such thing, so it's a flawed assumption.

We're the country that needs labels that say "don't stick your hands under a running lawn mower", and "this coffee may be very hot". Given the history that lead to those, and to our current Administration, it's long past time to believe in the average intelligence of humans.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I’ve read somewhere that a much different compound is now being used on the new CN36’s, that make it more performance oriented than the originals, which in itself is awesome. The huge downside is that the warm up process going from 20F to 40F as stated is 24 hours. Not like go out and drive slowly until you get some heat into the tires. This adds a whole new dimension to trip planning. Next time I go anywhere I’m staying home!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
This is an interesting thread; we used to run CN36's back in the day with no regard for whether they were temperature limited or whatever but then we never worried about 'winter', 'summer', 'all-season' or whatever either. In fact I only became aware of these definitions when shopping for tires in the US; has this changed in other countries now?

·
Push hard and live
9,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My take from the conversations with Longstone in the UK, and from him to Pirelli, is that the warranty limitations are not stated in Europe as they are here. Different laws, I suspect.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I recently purchased a set of Vredstein (sp?) in 195x65x14 summer performance tires for a Spider and they also state not to use them in extreme cold weather.

·
Push hard and live
9,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The literal problem is not driving in sub-20 weather. It’s that if your car was in an unheated garage overnight in sub-20 temps, TireRack says you shouldn’t drive until the tires have been at or above 40F for at least 24 hours.

in northern Nevada, and maybe half of the US, that could be June or July.

it’s as though CN36s should be labeled “for use in Southern Italy only”.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Both Coker Tire and Tire Rack have the same warning for the Vredestein Sprint Classics. Has anyone had any experience with either the Vredestein, or Pirrelli cracking in the cold? It's 3F here in upstate NY today, and there's still air in my Vredesteins. I'm definitely not going for a ride

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm pressing on to other concerns.

.... Given the history that lead to those, and to our current Administration, it's long past time to believe in the average intelligence of humans.
Bless your heart.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
What part of 'extreme summer performance' is difficult to understand? All season tires are probably a safer bet if you live north of the Mason/Dixon line! ;)

·
Push hard and live
9,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, I don’t recall those words exactly, but that’s not the reason I started this thread.

I’ve long understood the function of temperature in helping a tire perform as it’s intended. No debate there.

What I’ve not seen before, or anywhere in the Longstone or Pirelli literature, is a caution against USING, or even LETTING THE CAR SIT on cold tires.

I don’t know if Tire Rack has exaggerated the issue. Have they? Couldn’t get a definitive answer from Longstone or Pirelli. If my tires crack from the cold, I’ll apply for a warranty. We’ll see what happens.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I would bet that Pirelli has it in their 'boiler plate' sale language. That is why Tire Rack states it. They are a professional company. You can read and know what you are getting.
Longstone, not so much.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts