Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if someone would like to rent me their 20144 diff pinion locking tool. I would cover shipping and some fee for the tool. Also, since you probably don't know me I would consider sending a refundable deposit that would be returned to me when I return the tool.

Currently there is one on ebay but at roughly $300 it is a little to expensive so I thought this could work out for both me and the tool owner.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
You don't need one to get off the pinion nut if you use an impact wrench.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response Alfapartical.

I guess after I replace the seal I would final tighten by simply setting the parking brake and retighten to the original position.

That should work.

Bob.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Substitute for Alfa tool 20144. After disconnecting the drive shaft, if you put 2 high grade bolts and nuts in 2 adjacent flange holes, you can use a flat bladed pry bar like this large one to hold the flange while you remove and replace the pinion nut. The key is to replace the nut EXACTLY where it was on it's shaft originally.

These pry bar sets are available at Harbor Freight Tools and at Sears tool departments at nominal cost. The set pictured here from HFT costs about $12.00 for the set of 3.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
The key is to replace the nut EXACTLY where it was on it's shaft originally.
good point. Thanks for cleaning up behind me.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
I didnt use that tool when replacing the pinion seal on my S4.

I did make my own tool, plans from the BB, take the nut off that looked like this

71 94 Alfa Romeo Pinion NUT Tool Wrench Spider Spyder Montreal GVT | eBay

If I have to do it again, I would order the one from Ebay.

As said, try to remember how many revolutions it takes to remove the nut so you tighten it with the same amount of turns.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

Thanks to all for replying.

Great Ideas. I'll probably go the pry bar route. And I did buy the special socket from ebay.

I'll use a pair of calipers and physical marking to note the depth of the nut before starting.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts