Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to sus out the first 2 digests of a Pininfarina build number that should be (but is not) stamped in the trunk of 1959 Spider Veloce AR 1495 06373.

It has had the trunk floor replaced and someone forgot to preserve the number. The hood and trunk have a matching #570 stamped on them. If I could find some Spiders with serial numbers close to 06373 and which still have a number in the trunk I believe by comparing numbers i could figure out my 2 missing numbers and stamp them in.

Anyone out there who can help? The Spider Veloce belongs to Patrick Hung.

Picturees of 1600 Spider Veloce trunk that we stamped this summer and of Patrick's trunk.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon

Attachments

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
This is why I ask for these digits so I have at least one more part of the history of a car before it disappears. I looked through my register and I don't have anything for a Veloce in this range for a PF number.

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
Sometimes, not always, a matching number exists in the trunk seal gutter. Depending on repaints, this may be impossible to see. Contact "User 459" Terry Rushbrook for his study on PF assembly numbers. I spent a few minutes running through my picture files but could not find the photos.

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
I believe it is in the right (cars right) gutter about 1/2 way up. There may be one in the left gutter, but that one does not show through the paint on my car. Have Terry Send you pictures. He has found them (I want to remember) in other locations as well on a bare metal restoration of his '65 Spider Veloce.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gordon,
I have seen the typo number stamped in the rain gutter on 1964 and '65 101 1600 Spiders but not on any others. I believe this is because the 1600 Veloce bodies are different than the 1600 normalies. The typo number is stamped on the drivers side trunk rain gutter about 16 inches from the shock mount hole. It can be hard to find and may be under rubber.

On another note: Does anyone know of a company who will custom make stamps? I would like to make a set of correct stamps for the Pininfarina numbers in the trunk. I have limited access to a set of real ones (nameless friend). But I would like to have my own set.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
I had a set made years ago for an odd size number set (not metric or inch). Can't remember who made them Bill. Try McMaster Carr for information on custom stuff like that. as I remember, my set, 0-9 wasn't TOooo expensive, but the I could not remember which gutter the the typo numbers were in either (?).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi Bill,

This is the body number of my Oct. 59 build 101 series Spider "normale". First digit is obscured, but looks like a "3" to me. Hope this helps.

Jonathan Coine

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
32060. Much clearer then the goofy internet security-codes in the distorted pictures one is supposed to "re-enter here"...

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jonathan,
Just for grins what is your serial number on the firewall?
I think 06373 is still mostly a 750 series car.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bill,

The VIN is 149508080. The 80th 101 Spider by Alfa's records. I have wondered if the 750 series, and 101 series Spiders have a different number series. Looks like I might find out here.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Laurie,
I am fairly sure our Number is 25750, but all the great feed back so far is helping narrow it down.

Greetings to Verna and the rest of My BC friends!
Ciao,
Bill Gillham

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Is there a pattern or did Pininfarina stamp everything that came out of the factory sequentially whether if be Ferrari, Alfa, Abarth etc ?

My VIN is 1495-01440 making it an early 1957 750D but I've yet to find any stamps on the bodywork probably because most of it has been converted to ferric oxide ...

Chris

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
I'm not sure Chris. I've looked at a bunch of these "assembly numbers" and often wondered if there was a pattern. Ferrari had numbered all bits on an assembly from PF. The 275 series has partial chassis numbers, which match engine numbers, on the 5 bumper parts, as well as written in crayon on fiber door panels and the bottom of seat webbing. Alfa numbers of the same time frame do not seem to have anything to do with chassis numbers, and as we all know engine and chassis numbers are always different.
As always, just opinion from observation over a few years (about 50).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts