Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find a Pininfarina number in my trunk, the last three digits of which appear on a small plate welded to the underside of my front hood, centered at the rear. I expect to see a similar plate welded to my trunk lid, but don't find one. Should it be there? This numbers matching thing is a big deal in the 356 and early 911 Porsche world, where all of the moveable panels had the body number stamped in, by the way.
In mine you find the 3 digit number handwritten in yellow crayon on the inside of the trunk lid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tom,
What's your AR#, Pininfarina #, and date of manufacture? I'd like to add it to the chart of correlating numbers. Is this the gray ghost or the one in your driveway?
Terry,
Add my 65 Spider Veloce, AR 390662, build date May 17 1965, trunk number gone but stamped plate on hood reads 166. Can you figure out what the first 3 digits would be ? I think 107 based on your chart
Hope to see you again at the swap meet, Orlando
Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I resolved this question with the help of Tony S. The trunk lid number is on the bracket that the latch bolts to. I will try to get a photo up in the coming days.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Thanks...great chart! If you look at the PF numbers in order, the build dates are messed up. You would logically think that the build dates would be in order too.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Logic - Alfa Romeo?? What were you thinking, Chris?

"Hey, Luigi, go getta another Spider. Whicha one you wanna work ona today?"

Most of these dates are right from your site and the Pininfarina numbers from personal communication with the owners. These anomalies always intrigue me and show me how hand built these cars really were. Watching what goes on in modern factories with bar coded parts and "just in time" delivery systems is amazing, but the picture I have of the Pininfarina assembly line is completely different. Built in character and personality.

I love these cars!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I cannot find a post with photos of the three easily seen Pininfarina numbers. Here they are from my car, trunk lid, trunk floor and hood. As I wrote in a previous post, I was only able to spot the one on the trunk lid with the help of Tony S, so I should probably say easily seen, but not so easily found. Hopefully, this will make it easier for future novitiates. There are probably similar numbers in the doors. When I get around to removing my door cards in order to clean my window winders, I will try to add a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
The stamped number in the floor is the typical one as is the one on the hood. Usually there is a small square of metal welded to the trunk lid and hood with the last 3 numbers, but that isn't always the case either as I have seen them without. As to the top picture, I looked on my trunk lid and didn't see the number. This is a new location I haven't seen. As to the doors where in the inside are they stamped? Again another new location.

As to the 10118 cars, I can't find my stamp on the body showing 10118 in the trunk drip rail where it is supposed to be? I just looked and it is just smooth metal...could I be imagining this number?

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Most of these dates are right from your site and the Pininfarina numbers from personal communication with the owners. These anomalies always intrigue me and show me how hand built these cars really were. Watching what goes on in modern factories with bar coded parts and "just in time" delivery systems is amazing, but the picture I have of the Pininfarina assembly line is completely different. Built in character and personality.

I love these cars!
The build dates is what Alfa gives the owners :)

It is just as random of building of bodies probably as it is with the engines installed in the cars. Today we are building gray cars and what ever comes in the bin or cart is what goes in. Imagine what it must have been like on the first day of the transition spiders!

"Gee, I get to pick the parts and let the guys a few decades from now figure out what we did!"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just as a bit of a digression, my RHD Giulia Spider has chassis number 383007 and the number in the boot (trunk) is 102614. Build date was 22 June 63. It was and is mid blue with a cream interior.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Just a note of special significance as my 1964 Giulia Spider, chassis # AR 379356, celebrates her 52nd buon compleanno, today.

Born white with black on April 15, 1964; becoming black with red, molto presto; che bella!

Raimondo

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Miss Bella is PF# 105217 in the trunk, on the trunk lid and the hood.

I've heard some say the # should be on the doors, as well, but its not to be found on either of mine.

Ray

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 57 Spider Veloce 1495 F 01960 has Pininfarina number 17898 in the trunk.
Build date June 17, 1957.
Sold to Hoffman July 23, 1957
Red Body color (still is).
Ulf

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Original engine number unknown (data plate missing).
Currently have 2.0L Engine #AR01615*A90114
A very pretty car! The data plate on the hood could show an engine number unless it is missing or starts with 00106. Thank you for sharing your information. I bet it goes fast with a 2 liter.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts