Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Terry,
For your files: the Car belongs to Joe Muscarella from Buffalo New York, It is the 7th Giulia Spider Veloce I have restored, I have owned 5 others in the past 35 years, Unfortunately I am missing most of the number information. I am still looking for the right one for myself.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mfg date check

One more thing. I looked again at the list. The sequencing is a bit odd (at least with regards to my car). One would think my car would fit better with a January or February build date. Maybe Raimondo Corsi read the documents wrong and gave me the sale date?? I will look for my letter from him look again (it's been years). Maybe check with Marco Fazio too. Again, interesting! Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
My Giulia Spider 392652
manufactured on the 29th January 1965
Pininfarina number 106588, 588 stamped into front hood, 588 handwritten on inside of boot lid.

·
Registered
310 Posts
PF number and build date

Terry,

Thanks for including me (and 390 302). BTW, I checked my letter from Alfa my car was built on April 26th and invoiced to ARI on the 29th of 1965. As previously discussed the cars were not necessarily built in sequence.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Who would have thought that 6 little numbers stamped in the floor of a car would have so much of a following. I have to say that I am finding this rather interesting reading. What I do find odd is the numbers being assigned to what ever car is coming down the line, whether it be FIAT, ALFA or some other odd car being built at the factory.
To bad we don't have John Bakers Veloce PF number so we could compare it to the Normale built the same day!
What I haven't figured out and this is subject to conjecture, were the firewalls stamped at Alfa Romeo with a AR number or were the AR numbers given over to PF to stamp into to the firewall? I guess that question could be partially answered by knowing if the cars were painted when they arrived at Alfa Romeo, maybe. I say maybe because IF the bare body shell was delivered to Alfa Romeo, then they added the AR number at the factory and off to the paint booth.
Terry you are doing an awesome job, keep the the great work.
What we need to know is the PF number for any of the 750 cars to see what the numbers are (0r did I miss reading something?)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well as far as when the cars were painted I can add that the Pininfarina number 588 is handwritten on the inside of the boot lid in yellow chalk (this kind of oily marker stick) on top of the paint. So I assume that my car was painted before the assembly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
PF numbers

Chris,

You bring up an interesting point. I think I have told you this but for the wider group the PF number on my '58 spider Veloce is 20876. The reason this is curious is I know two other spider Veloce's built the same day. I will see if I can get the PF numbers from those, maybe shed light on your question. Yes, very interesting. It makes me want to start digging into some of the non-Alfa PF cars around!

Dan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Chris,
John Baker was a friend and Alfa mentor who passed away before this thread got under way. He had sold his Veloce to some guy in Massachusetts, but his widow didn't have any details of the sale. I kept his information on here just in case it turned up. Also, because his AR # is one of a few oddballs out of the production sequence. According to Maurizio Tabucchi, the 1965 Spider Veloces were numbered AR*390267, AR*390283, AR*390287, AR*390290, and AR*390294 to AR* 391092. As with all other Alfa information, this is liable to be questionable and subject to verification. He also states that the 1964 Spider Veloces were numbered from AR*390001 to AR*390300. That would bring the total Veloces built to 1102 instead of the traditionally cited 1091. ??

Who knew that this PF number discussion would uncover so much interest in Alfa history?

·
Registered
122 Posts
FWIW there is a 1954 Nash Healey for sale at present which has Pinin Farina body No 13601. As arcane as this undoubtedly is, this might give us a base line for 750 Spider body numbers.

I wonder if PF didn't gild the lily a bit by adding 1 in front of the number. It's hard to imagine they had built 13,000+ bodies by 1954, however.....

Regards
Joh

·
Registered
86 Posts
OK; I was just this afternoon informed that even the bumpers were stamped with the Pininfarina number on the underside. I was shown on the car we were standing in front of (750 F spider). Right?

·
Registered
310 Posts
body stamp on bumpers

Frequently but not always there were PF numbers stamped on the bumpers of spider. I would suggest it was as much to keep the pieces of the set together as to match the bumpers to the particular car.

Sorry about the bad photo.

D

Attachments

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
There is no suppport for the association of the bumper number stamps with a chassis, to my knowledge. I have owned Bertone and PF and Zagato cars of the period when chassis were handmade. While there are trim pieces on a given car specific to it, the numbers on the trim are mostly a mysterious association, maybe a bin number, rather than a specific chassis number or an abreviated one. Bumper parts that have matching numbers were indeed married for correct fit and overlap, especially early on, but the numbers stamped on them were just arbitrary matching numbers to mate the pieces much as motor parts ( bearing caps/ blocks and cam caps/heads) were mated with arbitrary stampings. None of the other trim piece on the PF cars carried the trim stampings to the extent of Bertone or Zagato beyond the bumpers.

·
Out of the office!
11,637 Posts
There has been similar discussion about PF numbers in the boot vs AR numbers in the engine compartment of Duettos.

Roundtail Spiders of sequential AR numbers were not produced sequentially. I hope I am saying that right. As an example, AR chassis number 6 may not have been produced after AR chassis number 4. I believe those production dates were the dates the cars rolled off the assembly line at AR and not PF.

Chassis' were assembled at PF and trucked over to AR assembly plant to receive the mechanical components. Several years ago, I ran across a video about the Duetto. I think it may have been in 2006 to celebrate the 40th anniversary. In that video, there was a small segment showing a transport truck filled with Duettos on dollys. They were headed to the AR plant. I think it was in this video.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I find a Pininfarina number in my trunk, the last three digits of which appear on a small plate welded to the underside of my front hood, centered at the rear. I expect to see a similar plate welded to my trunk lid, but don't find one. Should it be there? This numbers matching thing is a big deal in the 356 and early 911 Porsche world, where all of the moveable panels had the body number stamped in, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
11,378 Posts
These are assembly numbers. There is an extensive post on this subject with photo's and explanations.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Tom,
What's your AR#, Pininfarina #, and date of manufacture? I'd like to add it to the chart of correlating numbers. Is this the gray ghost or the one in your driveway?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Tom,
What's your AR#, Pininfarina #, and date of manufacture? I'd like to add it to the chart of correlating numbers. Is this the gray ghost or the one in your driveway?
This is the gray car that I bought a few weeks ago.

Numbers: built on January 30, 1959, AR 1495.05875, Pininfarina 24867

21 - 40 of 57 Posts