Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, I am brand new to the forum.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some information on this fiberglass Pininfarina hardtop? I can't seem to find anything solid online (year, model, compatibility, etc.).

The last photo is a stamped emblem on the bottom center of the glass, I can't make out anything but "tempered".

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
That definitely looks like a factory hardtop. What it fits is a bit of a mystery to me.

It does not look like a Touring Roadster hardtop, a Duetto, a Giulietta or a Giulia hardtop. Nor does it look like a Lancia Arelia hardtop...

The Tempered rear window was made by 'SECURIT' like many Italian made windows as shown on the first vertical line. The bottom line appears as AS2-W2 which was probably the plate identification for the mfg.

Here is the rear window etching from my '59 Touring for comparision.

Hard Top I.D. for Two Liter Touring.jpg

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do. I was actually interested in selling it, but I didn't receive any offers that I felt were reasonable. I also wasn't sure how I would ship it if I did sell it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks a little scruffy but it looks like it is all there... Where are you located and how much are you asking?
Feel free to call or text me at 805.298.4835
Thanks,
Douglas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am located in central Iowa and I am asking around $1,200 for the hardtop before shipping. It is difficult to gauge the value of these hardtops due to the relatively small amount of tops that are on the market, but I believe that this is a fair initial price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I used to own the 124 Spider linked to in post #3 of this thread and sourced the top after I bought the car. A few things about these tops: to replace the weather stripping (this top has cracked rubber) is very expensive. Few companies sell the proper bits and you'll pay somewhere between $500 and $800 just for all the rubber. Headliners are of course NLA, but I think Re-Originals sells the proper ribbed vinyl material for a price. The rear latches are also NLA and while you can fab something up, it looks like this top's latches are pretty rough. This top does have its impossible-to-find rain rails and PF identification tag, which are pluses.

My top was in better cosmetic condition than this one but came missing one latch and the headliner and it cost me $600 plus $200 shipping via Greyhound bus. Most Fiat 124 owners are VERY budget conscious and don't really care much for originality, especially as it pertains to cost of parts. There are tons of aftermarket tops on the market, usually starting at $100 or so and that's what most owners gravitate towards if they want a hardtop. Like most Alfa Spider owners, Fiat Spider owners typically bought their cars because they are affordable, interesting convertibles and have no interest in a hardtop -- they only drive their cars on warm, sunny days.

The cost and difficulty of proper, safe shipping makes non-local sales difficult as well. I attempted to sell my hardtop separate from the car for months on the various Fiat forums, but had no takers at my $800 cost. Because of that, I included it with the car, which I sold on BaT (it now lives in Jamaica). For many Fiat 124 owners, $1200 isn't much less than they paid for their entire car.

If you have a serious buyer with a reasonable offer, take it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would tend to agree with your points, but I still don't have any quick ruler with which to measure the value of my top. Out of curiosity, what would you pay for a hardtop like mine?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would tend to agree with your points, but I still don't have any quick ruler with which to measure the value of my top. Out of curiosity, what would you pay for a hardtop like mine?
I sold my Spider and I'll probably never own one again (too many cars, too little time), so I'd personally pay nothing. But as I mentioned above, your top would need fresh vinyl and rubber to compete with the one I paid $800 shipped for. If you advertised it directly on Fiat forums (mirafiori.com and/or fiatspider.com) I'd guess you may have some interest with a $500 price and maybe you'll attract someone local so shipping won't be an issue. By the way, I would try to keep the top in dry indoor storage since there's quite a bit of naked fiberglass exposed. You don't want the top to deteriorate further.

Good luck...

·
Registered
6 Posts
RoryJ's comments are right on and the naked truth.... My 72 spider cost me a couple grand... I live in SoCal and was not even going to replace the soft top since it is never up. I stumbled across you post when researching an offer out of the blue extended by a friend to me to buy another of the same model top locally for a couple hundred dollars. Yours is in better condition but much farther away... I don't even know if I would even install the top except for local shows. I would be interested at say $400 considering it needs some cosmetic attention and the shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts