Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Never heard/read about anything regarding an aluminum hard top....

What's the deal with this one?

Alfa Romeo Giulia / Giulietta Spider Aluminium Hardtop | eBay

Alfa Romeo Giulia / Giulietta Aluminium Hardtop

An exceptionally rare, original Alfa Romeo / Pininfarina Removable Hardtop for the Giulia 1600 Spider

Even the steel hardtops aren't to be found everyday, but make no mistake, this is a genuine and original Pininfarina hardtop in Aluminium.

The inner structure is of steel, and the skin is aluminium, making this a strong and rigid piece.

Internally there is the original headlining, all intact and in good condition, but discoloured through age.

Anyone familiar with these original hardtops will know that they are of exceptional quality - all the chrome parts are made of brass, then chromed and the rubber seals around the door apertures are fitted into polished aluminium extrusions. The brightwork around the rear window is chromed brass.

Condition is very good and the top could be fitted and used immediately without embarassment. There is no visible corrosion anywhere. The black paintwork is all good, though not concours.

Internally the headlining is discoloured through age. Chrome trim is worn through to the brass in places. Polished aluminium pieces would benefit from a good polish. Rubber seals are old but intact.

The best thing, however, is that it has never been apart, or essentially restored.

Worldwide shipping at cost.

Please e-mail any questions, or call me on 07968 094741 (+44 7968 094741)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
I have made a study of the PF hardtops fitted to the 750 & 101 Alfa's over the years. Yes I have seen exactly ONE real PF aluminum hardtop on a late Giulietta spider on the east coast about 20 years ago. I did a serious inquiry from the owner of the car for details, but with little real information of value. His car came with the top, imported by a Airforce serviceman, where he bought the car in Europe. This top was IDENTICAL to the steel tops in exterior appearance. it DID NOT have the fore and aft channel in the sale top you show. It DID have a PF serial number plate pop riveted under the rear window. The frame WAS steel. The rubber trim and exterior trim was exactly like the steel tops, including the fixing hooks and rear window. It caught my attention as it had NO headliner, and the aluminum inside was painted with a non gloss black over a greenish zinc chromate primer. This top was clearly PF and not a fabrication. Very high quality work.
My OPINION is that some aluminum tops were made by PF over the SAME bucks they used for the steel tops. As such, the were identical. My single inquiry to PF about 15 years ago went unanswered.
A real PF top in steel for a 101 car, in "restorable condition" seems to bring about $1000 to 1500 today, a good one considerably more. The 750 version brings more. There were several variations of the 101 tops, less the 750 tops.
A REAL aluminum PF top with documentation would be quite valuable.

The top pictured differs from the standard appearance of the PF steel tops, and as such I would be very cautious unless there was considerable documentation as to originality. It would be possible (and quite costly) to re-skin a steel frame, complete with PF tag in aluminum. As I have seen exactly one real aluminum PF Giulia top in 45+ years of looking, I would suggest buyer beware. JUST MY OPINION!
The pictures below are the correct shape for a very late STEEL 101 Giulia top.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
Hi Tellicovillage,
Here are a few pictures of my very late top interior. I have a whole bunch. If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I'll send you many, and can also send you any specific to areas you need details on. This top is unrestored. It is shopworn in some areas. It was bought new in '65 for a '64 Normale, which it did not fit. The owner of the '64 kept it for me for over 20 years until I could afford it.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Noticed that you do not appear to have the latches on the side ahead of the glass...did they later discover that they were not needed? Is this indicative of the later tops?

John restoring a 1960 hard top

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
On the Giulietta tops both early and late style trunk hinges were used, depending on the car build date. Late trunk hinges had a hook, and generally, not always, these cars did not have the rear quarter hold down sockets, and the tops lacked the rear quarter hooks. Some tops and cars had a pair of flanges fastened to the hard top that mounted a wing nut and bolt through the car's rear deck with 2 holed drilled for that purpose. My 1960 (non transitional) Veloce spider race car came with a 1960 top (sold) and had the holes drilled through the rear deck. This top HAD the rear quarter hooks, and the car the body sockets.
By 1964 / 1965, the rear quarter hooks were gone from the top, the sockets gone from the cars, and the trunk hinges featured the style hooks pictured below, that fit into pockets in the Giulia hardtop.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pininfarina Hardtop 750

Hello Group
Does anyone know where is an original 750 hardtop for purchase?
Thanks
Tancredi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts