Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pininfarina Hardtop- FOR SALE- Fits all 101's- UK

(GO TO PARTS OR SALE)

need any of the side pieces that fit on the body.. We have the turnbuckles but no mounting point

·
Super Moderator
12,007 Posts
Uncle, contact Jon Burningham 858-775-1933. He is working on one now. There are variations with later cars. I assume you refer to the rear quarter mounting points of the earlier variations.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uncle, contact Jon Burningham 858-775-1933. He is working on one now. There are variations with later cars. I assume you refer to the rear quarter mounting points of the earlier variations.
Yes, Tony Ranson's famous Borrani bespoken Spider is in the hands of his widow and he had a hardtop she was inclined to restore and install as his wishes would have been that.. Unfortunately she is in England, as is the car and another dear friend of Tony's who not been down this path has taken on the task to finish what Tony started...but Tony never told her he didn't have all the pieces or where the pieces go. They have the turnbuckles where the front tie downs were and the front ones on the sides. I got that re-directed. Then the rear seal is much too thick to get the hinge clips to ride in the slot. They are missing completely the body attachment/mounting points you refer to. They have the turnbuckles and over-center lock tho, which are currently in front. If I can get a picture or two, the jolly friend in jolly England can jolly well make it, by jove, oh golly..

·
Super Moderator
12,007 Posts
Uncle,
Tony, by jove, lists all the bits for this installation in his jolly Alfa emporium in G.B. They can just drop by and bloody well berate Tony when Alfa Stop does not answer their e-mail enquiry, by jove! What a good time!

·
Registered
641 Posts
picts

Hiya,
It's not totally clear to me which bits your are needing pictures on, but here are a few that I hope solve the riddle. (yes, one latch has a broken hook...will be repaired or replaced)

I think that Tony at AlfaStop lists all this stuff on his website. I have sent him an inquiry about a complete set of rubber gaskets and a rear window, but I haven't heard anything back from him.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just finished replacing my water pump on my sem-beautiful semi-bitemeintheassat every turn Sprint. This is number 2 after a total of 35 minute running time. There ought to be law that says, " you did it right so you are rewarded with 3 years of fun without fixin' it." The water pump I took out was perfectly happy so when I replaced it with a rebuilt one, the first one picked up the phone and called the second one and said BITE HIM!,...... Back to the hardtop.. Thank you Gordo and Jon for responding and pointing my Anglo brethren to Tony Stevens. That iis marvelous You guys will make my friends happy there. Thanks for the pictures, Jon!

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks like the hardtop in question in the UK is a 101 series type and Tony's spouse was not aware of it as his car is a 750. If there is any interest in buying it, I can put you in touch with someone who will handle the transaction in Hertfordshire. I can say it is totally restored and red and missing a few bits we have addressed here. It won't be a fire sale as she has a sizable invetsment in it, so if you have an offer let it be meaningful. The next step will be an advert, as they say, in the Giuliettaletta, so beat the rush.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Jon,

Many years ago I saw and photographed a pair of triangular mounts very similar to the ones in your first photo. They belonged to Bill Gillham, but one significant difference is that the opening faces the opposite direction! ... i.e., facing the wide part of the triangle. The mounts would therefore be mounted in the car with the wide part of the triangle facing downwards. No idea which year spider they came from, didn't think to ask at the time because I thought they were all the same.

The triangles measured about 40mm at their widest point, and about 33mm from top to bottom. Metal thickness was approximately 2mm (sorry we didn't have calipers handy so I'm going by tracings). How do these dimensions compare to yours?

David K.
Santa Ana, Calif.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Jon,

Many years ago I saw and photographed a pair of triangular mounts very similar to the ones in your first photo. They belonged to Bill Gillham, but one significant difference is that the opening faces the opposite direction! ... i.e., facing the wide part of the triangle. The mounts would therefore be mounted in the car with the wide part of the triangle facing downwards. No idea which year spider they came from, didn't think to ask at the time because I thought they were all the same.

The triangles measured about 40mm at their widest point, and about 33mm from top to bottom. Metal thickness was approximately 2mm (sorry we didn't have calipers handy so I'm going by tracings). How do these dimensions compare to yours?

David K.
Santa Ana, Calif.
David, nice to see you around, hope all is well.FWIW, Bill made a lot of parts for stuff. Could be they were his design. I'd go with Jon's or what Alfa Stop sells.

·
Registered
77 Posts
David, nice to see you around, hope all is well.FWIW, Bill made a lot of parts for stuff. Could be they were his design. I'd go with Jon's or what Alfa Stop sells.
Hi Rick, long time no talk - I'm still around but it hasn't been easy the last few years. Re the hardtop mounts, it's possible he made them but they looked like they came off a car (slightly pitted chrome).

Browsing thru Alfa Stop's website they look like item 1CWB165 (under the 'Fittings' heading), see pic below. I'm glad he's got them listed at least.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rick, long time no talk - I'm still around but it hasn't been easy the last few years. Re the hardtop mounts, it's possible he made them but they looked like they came off a car (slightly pitted chrome).

Browsing thru Alfa Stop's website they look like item 1CWB165 (under the 'Fittings' heading), see pic below. I'm glad he's got them listed at least.
Yeah, Bill wouldn't have made 'em pitted. What ever happened to the SZ we looked at for you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts