Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After searching for a couple of years and lusting after a GTV for many more I was able to find the car of my dreams, a 73 GTV. Right now I am performing a major service on the car. Its been active for all its life but has very low miles and was cared for by two fanatical owners before me.

Last week I started cleaning up the engine compartment and will continue this coming week. Today I changed the diff and gearbox fluids over to Redline 75-90w NS and this week the brake fluid, coolant and all the filters will be replaced. A new center and rear muffler are on the way from Centerline and for peace of mind, the hoses and fan belt will be changed out too. The SPICA low fuel pressure switch was shot so that was ordered as well. Fuel pressure is a solid 16psi at the outlet of the SPICA pump with ignition on but the light was still on.

The car was originally rustproofed (Zeibart) by the original owner and is solid. It has just over 30k miles on it and with the exception of four brake calipers and the rear fuel lines, the car is original. I drove it home 150 miles but my heart was in my throat so after the major is done I am looking forward to the first "low pressure" cruise in the car - maybe later this week. Here are a couple of shots of it. The second owner put on the Cromodora Daytonas but the original wheels came with the car too.

This site has been fantastic and everyone I have communicated with has been really helpful. I hope to contribute as I learn more about these fantastic cars to pay back for all the help I got from this forum and members.

Andy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Fantastic.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wow nice car and I love the colour

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great looking car and a real find if it's as good as it appears to be. Dare we ask what you paid for it? It would be useful for others to get a sense of what a good condition original car would cost.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Pictures can certainly lie. I don't think the car is as good as it looks in photos but its not too far off.

As for not having much to do, there is quite a list already. clutch slave drips, exhaust is on order, there are some rubber suspension components that probably need attention; the rear of the car feels a little "squirmy" is the best way I can put it, I have driven Alfas that need a steering correction when on the throttle and another one when off the throttle. This car doesn't have that but there is a slight squirm when I go over uneven pavement surfaces.

Today the clutch slave is apart but there is some rust damage in there and I'm not sure its going to respond well to new seals. I cleaned it up best as I could and will try the new seals. Hoses need attention too - they are 42 years old...

Granted I am not having to paint the car or repair body panels but it wasn't supposed to be a project car. It needs a lot of detailing. As for what I paid, this is a little sensitive but I understand the interest in knowing what an original car went for. I can tell you I paid under $35k for the car. Hopefully that's enough information to satisfy those with a "need to know" :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Granted I am not having to paint the car or repair body panels but it wasn't supposed to be a project car. It needs a lot of detailing. As for what I paid, this is a little sensitive but I understand the interest in knowing what an original car went for. I can tell you I paid under $35k for the car. Hopefully that's enough information to satisfy those with a "need to know" :)
Thanks for sharing. It shows that pretty good cars aren't cheap (and will still need some money spending on them). Mine was in the £25 to 30K range for a good quality (but not concours) UK car with a totally sound body. It still needed quite a lot of things sorting out on it.

I'm sure you are going to love the car, glad you got your itch scratched.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Congrats... Nice ride, I love the color

·
Registered
347 Posts
nice car! looks great in silver. I hope to find one myself in that kind of very nice "hobbyist"/driver level shape. And are those new pics? we still have piles of snow in western Nassau!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice car! looks great in silver. I hope to find one myself in that kind of very nice "hobbyist"/driver level shape. And are those new pics? we still have piles of snow in western Nassau!
The pictures were taken the day before the storm. Yes we still have a bunch here in Suffolk too but I am hoping the rain on Wednesday will wash the salt off the streets so I can get the car out for a drive.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for sharing. It shows that pretty good cars aren't cheap (and will still need some money spending on them). Mine was in the £25 to 30K range for a good quality (but not concours) UK car with a totally sound body. It still needed quite a lot of things sorting out on it.

I'm sure you are going to love the car, glad you got your itch scratched.
Thanks. Any shots of your car?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie myself and my car used to be silver like yours, but was redone in Alfa Rosso like many others. I still have a bit of silver left, under my radiator ;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looks like a great find and original. Slave rebuilds seldom work. The slave cyl. being so low usually gets a nice worn spot where the seal sits so when trying to hone out the fits is loos so leaks. I tried to rebuild several, always not worth the work. When reinstalling a slave, always put some Never seize on it so way down the road when it needs replacing you do not crack the bell housing when pounding it out!!

I have a 66 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, peppy cams and ward & deane springs/bushings so goes well!

You have a great driver's car, enjoy!
Austin J.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrats Andy on the Argento GTV
love it.
I just finished major service on my 73GTV, purchased December.
Sounds familiar.
Couple of things.
My rear end squirm ended up being a disconnected rear shock at the trailing arm.
I replaced all the sensors, thermostat, spica filter, fuel lines and chased wiring issues. New brake rotors and pads, fluids. I'm keeping mine stock.

Email Papajam for his wiring diagram, great guy, you need it. I had it printed and laminated at 24by40in.

Check for rubberized rust proof filling the drain holes of the front spring plates.Mine were blocked.

Keep us updated
Cheers
FS

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Looks like a very original and unmolested '73 down to the non-glare painted side view mirror. A rare find these days, especially at the price you bought it for. Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all for the comments.

I had a tough time getting the slave cylinder out as Austin Juneau implied. When I noticed the mount was actually the bell housing casting I kind of felt a chill up my spine. Spraying some penetrating oil and a little mapp gas heat made it easy to get it out. I couldn't believe all the gymnastics with the grip rings though. I may look into having the original one sleeved back to the original bore size if it still leaks.

Bellagt: On the drive home I noticed the mirror was just an ornament. As soon as I adjusted it, the wind just flopped it down. When I got home the first job I did was pull that mirror off and tighten the screws securing the pivot. I took the time to clean up the mirror too.

Feudal serf: Thanks for the tips on the drain holes. Another drain hole finding: so far I have lost two small tools down one of the drain holes up by the cowl/fender joint. I can see the removable panel in the fender well will give me access so I can retrieve them. I wonder what else I'll find in there?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts