Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have strong doubts about this tool, but wonder if anyone has used one successfully on the Alfa's lower ball joint ring nut. It is only 9 3/4" long and I can't figure out how to get a 6' cheater pipe on it - unless someone makes oval pipe.

Amongst the eight pin sizes it has a 5/16" one which should work nicely. I'll just add that if it can be adjusted to the outer lock rings for the various dash switches, that for me would almost make it worth the cost. It is available for roughly $60 unless you prefer Grainger and it has the same one for $95.

There is one from the UK which is no doubt better built, but is roughly $190 + $28 shipping.

Yesterday I spent a good amount of time building a two pin tool but it turned out not to be strong enough.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,690 Posts
Make your own oval pipe from large conduit steel pipe squished in a big shop vice only on the end. If it's not stiff enough, add a piece of galvanized steel pipe inside the steel conduit pipe. I did that and was able to ruin several pin wrenches on Alfa ball joints. The TRICK turned out to be heating the assembly (Ball joint pin nut) VERY hot with an oxy acetline torch before trying to ruin another pin wrench.
This IS a PITA job.
NOT just my opinion but shared by others as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Reading this two years later and having wasted a day or more making two similar tools that weren't strong enough I resorted to physics and brute strength.

I heated the wishbone several times but when I noticed the ring nut was hotter than the rest of the wishbone after a period of cooling I tried it again. This time I brought out a container of ice cubes and after heating and applied them to the ring nut itself until I had melted about 10 of them and the ring nut was cooler to the touch than the wishbone.
Then I used my trusty pipe wrench on the outer edge of the ring nut and pulled for all I was worth and the sucker finally let go.
The pipe wrench does some damage to the outer edge of the ring nut but it cleaned up with a file.

Heating expanded the wishbone and cooling contracted the ring nut and it loosened easily.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts