Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
ooohhh, you've touched my funny bone. I've asked for this before too and went through a Webasto obsession a few years back, scouring the alfa world for an old one from a parts car I could restore and/or sink into my '74. I was told by the gent at VeloceSport in the UK (where most - or all? - of these were installed) that by now the ones in parts cars were as bad as the cars' outer sills...meaning, they were toast.

For the record, such roofs are apparently still made in the UK by RS Coachbuilts; I also found another site, Sliding Ragtop Kits Homepage.

It would be nice to have a sunroof in a GTV but the though of cutting a big hole in the top would require some guts. I'm not sure I could contemplate that anymore. John

·
Registered
'74 GTV, '72 Berlina, '71 Fulvia
56 Posts
Had a '78 Alfetta GT with on (dealer installed I believe) and a '79 without. Sunroof was wonderful but the '79 was noticeably stiffer. Think the sunroof was worth the tradeoff.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Although they aren't fitted to Alfas, there are some pretty folding sunroof videos on Youtube.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a Weathershield fabric sunroof which I think was dealer-fitted. IMHO is better than a glass or metal one simply because it looks period and opens the roof up a lot more. The wind noise actually seems to subside when the top is down, but that could be because it has a curved wind deflector fitted to the front of the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
My Webasto obviously once had a wind-deflector as mentioned above as there are screw-holes in the roof-lining.
Now where would I find one of those?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 1750 has one - and I love it :D
Funny thing is, at a recent show'n'shine, a lot of owners came up to me saying they used to have a rag-top, but got rid of it & spacked up the roof after the cloth deteriorated.
I haven’t yet seen another webasto soft-top on a 105 in Australia – does anyone have one (if so, please post pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Thanks for posting the diagram. I think it shows what a well designed sunroof a period Webasto is. While these were popular in Europe they weren't at all popular here in the States so it unusual for you to find a Super with one installed (perhaps your Super was imported with one fitted). Period fabric sunroofs apparently were designed to fit more snuggly against the cabin roof than modern versions which come as a pre-built frame that is attached to the car's roof. I think period Webastos are being reproduced by a company in the UK. although I'm not sure if installers here are up to handling the complexities of a real Webasto fabric roof. I'm going to have to visit an installer and look at the new hardware to see whether or not it looks period enough in a Super's interior.

Here's a photo of a modern Webasto pre-made fabric sunroof followed by a photo of a period Sunway fabric sunroof (not as good as a period Webasto,
IMHO).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
My 1750 has one - and I love it :D
Funny thing is, at a recent show'n'shine, a lot of owners came up to me saying they used to have a rag-top, but got rid of it & spacked up the roof after the cloth deteriorated.
I haven’t yet seen another webasto soft-top on a 105 in Australia – does anyone have one (if so, please post pics)
Great looking car! Both my '70 GTV and '72 Super are Rosso Amaranto. A question: the photo of the period Sunway roof closed shows that the fabric doesn't fit snuggly against the roof. Does your roof do this? I'm wondering if this is a characteristic of period designed sunroofs? I'll see if I can find the link to the company in the UK that makes the period Webastos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great looking car! Both my '70 GTV and '72 Super are Rosso Amaranto. A question: the photo of the period Sunway roof closed shows that the fabric doesn't fit snuggly against the roof. Does your roof do this? I'm wondering if this is a characteristic of period designed sunroofs? I'll see if I can find the link to the company in the UK that makes the period Webastos.
thanks! I love rosso amaranto too..
regarding your query on the snug fit against the roof - do you mean on the interior or exterior? the webasto fits really well on the exterior (no wind seems to seep in at high speeds so Im pretty sure its waterproof - wouldn't dare drive in the rain though!), but to be honest there does seem to be a little big of sagging in the interior. Don't know if they were like that from new - as mine is a refurb from a few years back...
By the way I have a webasto factory leaflet attached.
cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 1750 has a cloth roof, in white. It's a very well made piece of kit and seems pretty water tight even after forty odd years. It's got the deflector too, which does work well, reducing the wind vacuum when moving at speed.

I will dig some photos out when I get chance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Webasto wind deflector

Mitch, I'd be interested in shots of your wind deflector, especially the hinges. There are screw holes in my head lining where the hinges were, and though it's a long shot, I'd be interested in finding a replacement unit.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Here's a photo of a wind deflector and sunroof. I think the runroof is a Weathershields (a competitor with Webasto). It looks a little bulky and crude to me, although you might be able to find some adaptable hinges and fashion one to fit your Webasto.

Would you mind taking an interior photo of your sunroof closed? I'd like to see how the fabric fits when the roof is closed. I'm told that there is/was a company still manufacturing the original coachbuilt Webastos.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a pic my webasto closed. Like I said, its a refurb - the top looks good but Im not so pleased with the interior.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Thanks, Lance. As best as I can tell, the fabric roofs in closed position are prone to some wrinkling of the top fabric. I haven't found any photos that didn't show at least some. Probably, that's inherent in the design. (Not surprisingly, most of the photos avaliable show the fabric sunroofs in the fully open position.) :) The later designs, installed as a single unit, appear to have a better fitted closed position. The only problem with them is that I'm not sure they'd compliment the period interior of an old Alfa.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts