Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased this 1969 Alfa GTV, the pictures don't really show it but there is plenty of rust in the doors and floors. Wish me luck !

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
GOOD LUCK ... LOOKS LIKE A NICE CAR ..... I LIKE THE BUCKET SEATS ON A 69 GTV AND THAT THE COLOR OF THE CAR IS NOT RED, LIKE ALL THE GTV'S OUT THERE ... INCLUDING MY CAR

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hey there! Congrats on your GTV! Are you in Yorktown, VA?

If so, you are very near a bunch of great Alfisti in the Hampton Roads Alfa Club, a branch of the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC).

Let me know, OK?

Ciao,

PS: my '73 GTV is the same color!

·
Registered
11,883 Posts
Looks a little bit better than my car when I got mine.

Personal I think that most 105 series Alfas (except garage queens) have similar condition underneath, thus you either buy one that you know that you need to do the sills (rockers), etc. OR you buy one that looks good ... and worry that underneath it is GROWING ready to show itself.

Good luck, and once the rust is removed then YOU know that you have a solid 105 series :)

Pete

·
Registered
880 Posts
congrats on your car! Your GTV looks very nice (with the rust) then mine did when i purchased it. Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted with your development.
PS keep the car silver it encenuates the body lines real well.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB.com YTM & 72gtv1750!

Great looking GTV even if it's a bit rusty! And yep, GTV's in silver do look nice. Looks like a PO replaced the rectangular side markers. Nice touch.

Let's see the '72 1750! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My '69 GTV

Thanks for all th great comments guys, I will certainly keep you informed on the progress. By the way i'm actually in Durham, NC, anybody else in the same area ?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
You're in Durham? That's great! Have you joined MAARC or AROC yet? The meetings are held alternate months in Raleigh and Durham. Joining the club is a great way to get to know other Alfa folks.

You are very lucky, because one of the best Alfa shops is in Raleigh (actually, it's about halfway between Raleigh and Durham, just off the 70). Check out www.krauseandengland.com. Peter Krause is one of our club's members and he and his crew know Alfas!

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] for any further info.

Cheers,

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great comments, i'll keep the BB posted with progress .... I haven't joined the club yet but i'm certainly looking to do so shortly. I also hope that Krause and England can help me out with some of the issues !

·
Registered
615 Posts
Congratulations on you new toy.

Thank you for saving another Alfa. Restore it, never sell it and you will have enjoyment for the rest of your life.

By the way what are the last four digits of this cars VIN? My GTV is ARxxx1129 and was built in October of '69. Just wondering where your car was on the "line".

Garrett

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Garrett,

Sorry for the slow reply, my chassis is ARXXX1074.
Not too far from yours.
I've e-mailed Elvira to get the history behind her.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, the rust has crept under the door handle and rusted the
panel from the inside out, i've taken the interior trim off and discovered a lovely rust patch. I'll update everyone with some rusty pics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some rust on the floors, mostly surface. A few small holes plus of course the holes at the very front of the floor pans. Can't decide whether to patch them or put new ones in ? Any Advice ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts