Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,389 Posts
Here's mine. I've been happily looking at it for 54 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
$9 Viton seal ……… are you referring to the 8 x 16 x 7 mm seal in the water pump (and gear box for speedometer)? If so where are you getting a Viton version? Order number?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Carl, not sure what you're referring to above. Maybe another thread?

Did some upkeep on the Spider, checked fluids etc. My presumed trans leak turns out to be a pretty good leak at the back of the engine. At some point it'll have to come out, rebuild, it's been 40+ years since Les Hurlock was last in here. But not yet!

Under the car last week, noticed the condition of the donut. We're all about value around my house, but jeez, I think we got all we could ask from this one. So I changed it yesterday. One of the through-bolts was sort of friction-welded/galled into the metal sleeve in the donut, so that took some work to undo. But in the end all good. Rear trans seal even seems to hold in oil, so I didn't change it.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
My question about source and part number of Viton seal was in reply to Gordon's earlier reply:"If it doesn't leak at the tach drive, it's mine. I use a $9 Viton seal in there that keeps them oil leak free. " I guess I should have sent it directly to Gordon. Sorry to side tracking your thread.

·
Super Moderator
11,389 Posts
The Viton tach drive seals I use, come from Metric Seals in Noblesville Indiana. Measure an old one or (if you can see it) the size is usually cast in the rubber.

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I got a Reinz gasket set from Jon Norman recently and it came with a lip seal that must go to the tach drive.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I got a Reinz gasket set from Jon Norman recently and it came with a lip seal that must go to the tach drive.
Andrew
So I was taking the Giulietta to Petaluma yesterday to look at a Kaiser Deluxe (don't ask). Five miles down the road it burped/hiccuped, then ran OK again, but it had been running a bit off and I took a second warning to heart. Got off the freeway, idled home, seemed to make a sound a large throttle openings, didn't seem related to rpm. Sounded more like pinging than a mechanical sound. Got home, took the plugs out for a first look, found #3 NGK with the electrode gone. Still firing on that cylinder but not well. I'm guessing the hiccup is when the electrode let go and went out the exhaust. I looked around with a bright light, didn't see any damage in the cylinder. Put new plugs in fired it up, all good. Did a compression test, all about 190, just like when I bought it from Bill Gillham 12 years ago. Whew.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,652 Posts
I had the electrodes disappear out of #2&3 plugs on Dad's '57 Spider, new plugs sorted the problem and also good compression all round with no lasting nasties

Bad batch of plugs ?? I bought them from my regular spares outlet who stock reputable brand items.

Glad your Spider is OK

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I had a fine wire plug do this on a Ferrari 308 once, stopped firing on that cylinder. New plug, all good, didn't seem to do any damage.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
So I didn't buy that Kaiser that I went to look at, but I do keep going to Petaluma. My cousin has a 69 2002, needed to go to a BMW shop in Petaluma for engine diagnosis, so we headed up there yesterday, me running chase in the Veloce. Here's a pic approaching the San Rafael Bridge in Pt Richmond. It's not lost on me that I'm using a 60-year-old car as backup for a 51-year-old car. Nice drive up though the 02, cruising at 60 (see speedo) kept the Veloce just below the power band. Bombed back at 70-75, Veloce much happier. Was a beautiful day out.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
So some noises I wasn't crazy about first led to pulling the trans, then what the heck, pulled the engine. Will go through both, see what there is to see. This trans has marginal synchros, has always jumped out of reverse on power, so it will benefit from freshening.
The engine, a leak from the head gasket, burns some oil, some gubbins in the bottom of the oil pan, OK, I don't need more convincing to open up and see what's going on. Les Hurlock maintained this car for decades. I have the head off and the pistons out, other than one-piece Borgo oil rings, looks remarkable inside. Pistons look new, bearings good, head it utterly uncorroded. That's unexpected in a 60-year-old engine. Might be a hone, rings, bearings, back together. We'll see.
Clutch is dated 1970, has essentially no wear. Engine was last apart in 1986 for low compression, looks great so far but I don't have the mains out yet. I have some oversize pistons but may keep it as is. Also will figure out my cam choices. Has stock 101 Veloce in it now, might go with something more modern.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Trans is off with Larry Jr at APE, and engine is 100% torn down, not starting to build back up. Here's the block pretty stinkin' good for being 60 years old. A little corrosion on the studs but I've seen much worse in use. The base and liner registers, all good. Minimal corrosion on the block edges and no evidence of bad action in the main bearings. So going to just build it back up. Norman Racing is looking at the rods and 1400 kit pistons I have. If they aren't good enough I have a set of NOS Veloce pistons and liners. So either way have that covered. Head is at Norman too for normal valve job work.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,389 Posts
Looks good!

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
The head looks remarkably good too. Cut .020" but the sealing surface has no corrosion at all. Car smoked some, I figure mostly the Borgo oil rings but might as well look at the guides and seals.
Have to make some cam decisions. Had 106 Veloce cams in it but might do something different.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Have been darting left and right on this, went up several blind alleys on pistons and liners, but it's all coming together. I had a 1400 kit but the liners were too big for the pistons, so that wouldn't work. Ended up using NOS forged Veloce pistons I had, honing my orig liners a few thou to match. They're done, block is clean, crank is back in, dummying up pistons and valves to check everything will rotate and not hit.

Head is back from Norman Racing, new guides and valves, a normal job. No porting. Probably going with 10548 and 10520 cams, as Greig has said worked for him.

Trans is back from APE. I stayed with orig four-speed, went for moly synchros. The ball on the mainshaft was worn, Larry makes and presses on new ones. Reverse wouldn't stay in gear so he sorted that. Should be all good.

Here's the block, under the close bug-eyed watch of my new 2002 tii. Trans too, looking much like it did when new in 1960. Gettin' there.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,652 Posts
Fantastic Andrew, coming together nicely now

Yep the 00548 & 00502 cams are a nice combination, not too wild and not too mild, the car still retains the flexibility that you like so much in your drivers.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Like a magpie I am easily distracted by other things; since I built this engine bought a BMW 2002tii and a Volvo Amazon! Decided I should get my priorities straight and got the Veloce engine onto the OSHA-noncompliant test stand this weekend. Spun it, got good oil pressure right away. Hooked it up and once I figure out I had 1 and 2 spark plug wires crossed, it fired right up and sounded good. Ran it for a bit, have one or two small leaks to fix but it seems good. Ready to go into the car once the Amazon is mobile and can get out of the garage.

Andrew

Attachments

141 - 158 of 158 Posts