Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,239 Posts
Here's mine. I've been happily looking at it for 54 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
$9 Viton seal ……… are you referring to the 8 x 16 x 7 mm seal in the water pump (and gear box for speedometer)? If so where are you getting a Viton version? Order number?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Carl, not sure what you're referring to above. Maybe another thread?

Did some upkeep on the Spider, checked fluids etc. My presumed trans leak turns out to be a pretty good leak at the back of the engine. At some point it'll have to come out, rebuild, it's been 40+ years since Les Hurlock was last in here. But not yet!

Under the car last week, noticed the condition of the donut. We're all about value around my house, but jeez, I think we got all we could ask from this one. So I changed it yesterday. One of the through-bolts was sort of friction-welded/galled into the metal sleeve in the donut, so that took some work to undo. But in the end all good. Rear trans seal even seems to hold in oil, so I didn't change it.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
My question about source and part number of Viton seal was in reply to Gordon's earlier reply:"If it doesn't leak at the tach drive, it's mine. I use a $9 Viton seal in there that keeps them oil leak free. " I guess I should have sent it directly to Gordon. Sorry to side tracking your thread.

·
Super Moderator
11,239 Posts
The Viton tach drive seals I use, come from Metric Seals in Noblesville Indiana. Measure an old one or (if you can see it) the size is usually cast in the rubber.

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I got a Reinz gasket set from Jon Norman recently and it came with a lip seal that must go to the tach drive.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I got a Reinz gasket set from Jon Norman recently and it came with a lip seal that must go to the tach drive.
Andrew
So I was taking the Giulietta to Petaluma yesterday to look at a Kaiser Deluxe (don't ask). Five miles down the road it burped/hiccuped, then ran OK again, but it had been running a bit off and I took a second warning to heart. Got off the freeway, idled home, seemed to make a sound a large throttle openings, didn't seem related to rpm. Sounded more like pinging than a mechanical sound. Got home, took the plugs out for a first look, found #3 NGK with the electrode gone. Still firing on that cylinder but not well. I'm guessing the hiccup is when the electrode let go and went out the exhaust. I looked around with a bright light, didn't see any damage in the cylinder. Put new plugs in fired it up, all good. Did a compression test, all about 190, just like when I bought it from Bill Gillham 12 years ago. Whew.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
I had the electrodes disappear out of #2&3 plugs on Dad's '57 Spider, new plugs sorted the problem and also good compression all round with no lasting nasties

Bad batch of plugs ?? I bought them from my regular spares outlet who stock reputable brand items.

Glad your Spider is OK

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I had a fine wire plug do this on a Ferrari 308 once, stopped firing on that cylinder. New plug, all good, didn't seem to do any damage.
Andrew

141 - 149 of 149 Posts