Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Went on a small outing to West Marin and Petaluma today with three sets of friends, the Veloce led the way. Had a 240Z, 911T, and 599 GTB. Great beautiful day in Marin County, Veloce did fine. 70 mph on the freeway, roughly 125 miles, no issues today. Yesterday, however, the ignition switch became intermittent. Would go from on to off just touching the key. Took it all apart, cleaned and sanded contacts, removed grooves and whatnot and refaced the shape of the contact nubs. Reassembled with a little dielectric grease, good for another 50 years.

Got to drive the 599 GTB in Chileno Valley, has paddle shifters, my first experience. Unbelievable power, 600 HP, too much for West Marin roads, pottered along behind the Veloce and kept it to 70 mph. Very nice car.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Another West Marin drive on New Year's Day yesterday. My Giulietta Veloce, my Super, friend Bill's Super, friend Mike's 240Z. Saw a few other Alfas out, no other Giuliettas.
Car, like other Giuliettas, is just an astounding machine. Rugh front sway bar makes it much flatter at road speeds. Maybe a recipe for understeer on the track, but I don't drive it like that.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Yet another drive. But isn't that what these cars are for?
Last Sunday, the annual Super Drive on Super Bowl day, from Pacifica south to Boulder Creek etc along the San Mateo and Santa Cruz coast. I took my Super, Richard Wigley (chairman of the Giulietta Register) and his wife Jackie were visiting from the UK and of course I let them borrow my Veloce for the day. Richard was right there all day, movin' right along. He has a Giulia Normale, had never driven a Veloce in spite of 47 years of Alfa ownership. Here, Richard and Jackie flank friend Hildegard who navigated for me. Great day.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Yet another drive. But isn't that what these cars are for?
Last Sunday, the annual Super Drive on Super Bowl day, from Pacifica south to Boulder Creek etc along the San Mateo and Santa Cruz coast. I took my Super, Richard Wigley (chairman of the Giulietta Register) and his wife Jackie were visiting from the UK and of course I let them borrow my Veloce for the day. Richard was right there all day, movin' right along. He has a Giulia Normale, had never driven a Veloce in spite of 47 years of Alfa ownership. Here, Richard and Jackie flank friend Hildegard who navigated for me. Great day.

Andrew
Beautiful car!

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I've bought a couple cars lately, and as I'm a confirmed 105 guy, when push comes to shove the Giulietta may go to the back of the line. Honest, I feel guilty. Have had it out a few times, today had it out for a 100-mile drive out to the 100-degree weather area (Pleasanton). Car did fine, no issues, what a sweetie. Was helping a friend in Piedmont get his Alfetta running this morning; all his neighbors dropped by to swoon at the Veloce.

In the fixes department, it's needed a new rubber shift boot since I got it. I didn't want to install a repro. Luckily, I got six NOS ones a couple weeks ago. So installed today. Voila.

And here's a visitor, Giulia 1600 Sprint. Friend Aaron sold it to friend Somer, I did a bunch of small tasks before it gets transported away, mostly getting everything electrical working. I gotta say, Sprint dashes with the removable top have it all over Spider dashes. While looking to have plenty of patina, this car has a rebuilt 1600, five-speed, brakes, and suspension. Drives great.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
As happens, I love my 105 cars so much I neglect the Giulietta. First loves are the strongest, etc.
Water pump has been leaking a bit so finally tackled it yesterday. After getting it out I'm not sure the seal was bad, may just have been an old gasket, cracked. Whatever. Popped in a rebuilt pump I got form Gordon or somewhat a few years ago. The pulley on mine was worn, so happy to have a better fan/pulley on now. Changed the front crank seal while I was in there.
This car was maintained by Les Hurlock for decades, so likely he was the last person in here (note the red fan blade tips; he did stuff like that). Engine was last rebuilt 40 years ago, about the time I got into Alfas.
Before n after pics.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
Whoa! Dattsa Nicca pumppa! -:) { Does it leak??????)

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I hope not. I put water in, have to go get some antifreeze. I'm not certain it was from you; some years ago now that I got it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Filled with antifreeze. Adjusted and bled brakes with new fluid. Drove. Seems great. No leaks i see, and I may have solved a pesky oil leak at the tach drive.
Changing your fluid every couple years really restores pedal feel, in addition to other benefits.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
If it doesn't leak at the tach drive, it's mine. I use a $9 Viton seal in there that keeps them oil leak free. The big issue with the old 101-1300 water pumps is the water stop and back impeller face. I can add a SS washer to restore correct impeller thickness for water stop spring pre-load. The other issue is that the current, easily available SS water stops, use a thin edged carbon seal that is multi piece, glued together. These crack more easily than those on the old brass bodied water stops that used a wide edged, one piece carbon seal, which was much more durable. I've a few new, old stock brass stops and save them for use on 750 / 101-1300 water pump restorations. Leaky restored pumps are annoying!

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
This didn't have a tach drive; I pulled one off the shelf because I couldn't get it out of the old pump, which I think was a good thing.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
Darn.

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Took the Giulietta on a round-the-bay tour today to (1) buy Tiger parts, (2) drop off Giulia parts, (3) talk to a guy about working on his Giulia Super, and (4) checking out my Giulia Super at the body shop. Put 150 miles on the car, all freeway, no issues other than returning all the waves it gets. It's a good day for it since a lot of folks are off work and traffic is light. Beautiful day, best part was crossing the Bay on the San Mateo bridge. Here it is in front of the Super's body shop in Berkeley.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,337 Posts
Eh! This IS AUSTRALIA! Totally correct.

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Friend Art, who has had several Alfas, bought a Triumph Spitfire in Davis and asked me to haul him up there to drive it back. So we did on Saturday. He'd owned the "spotted pig" 750 Normale I restored a few years ago, so it seemed only right to go in my Spider Veloce. Picked him up in Alameda, motored up I-80 to Davis, got rained on. Basically unheard of in September in Davis. It was maybe 57 degrees, more normal would be 107. Nonetheless, here's the Giulietta cooling its heels as Art preps the Spitfire for the return to the Bay Area. I think of the Giulietta as a small car, but it loomed over the Spitfire like a giant. 150 miles RT, 65-70 mph, no issues. The Spit has OD so could keep up. Its engine is even smaller than the Giulietta's, which is saying something.

Andrew

Attachments

121 - 140 of 155 Posts