Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
From the Centerline "how to tell a Veloce from a Normale" blurb, though I don't know where they got their info:
Andrew

Duct Holes
Some 750 and all 101 Spiders and Sprints have two holes for air ducting on the driver’s side fender well; however, only the Veloces use both holes. (Those 750 chassis that started with only one duct hole had a second hole cut into the fender well when the factory built them as Veloces.) On Normales the front hole is covered by a sheet metal plate fastened on by screws. On Veloces the front hole provides air from the front air scoop to the air cleaner. On both Normales and Veloces the rear hole provides air to the passenger compartment.

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
So 167180 F showed up yesterday, a friend bought off ebay from NY. Red/black like mine, probably built the same day as my car, 167172, or nearly so. It's here for a clutch and some other stuff. It has a 105 five-speed and bellhousing, so you can't see any timing marks. Engine is strong, 00106*00027*, good comp, 40DCOE28 Webers with 32 throats and some other changes. Bosch dist and generator/regulator, Lucas starter. I wonder if it has a 1400 or 1500 kit in it? Has a lot more torque than my car.

Has the Salchi paint sticker in the trunk, as does mine. Will move into the garage tomorrow and the sibs can get reacquainted.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Here's the siblings in the garage. They must have so much to talk about.

Bought on ebay and as is often the case, needs more work than expected. Trans is out, gave to Larry Jr from APE for a look-see. Clutch was down to the rivets, throwout bearing has a 1967 date on it and no lube in it. Trans is a 1750/2000 five-speed with a Junior bellhousing, home-modified rear mount. Hoping Larry can work a 101 bellhousing so we can see timing marks. Brake hydraulics are mostly calcified, will go through them. Shoes were new 10 years ago but never used.

Engine 00106*00027* in it appears to be from May 1960 Veloce, this is a Sept 1960 car. My engine, 8 cars earlier, is 01075 and I know it to be original. This car still has the steel Veloce pan, seems to work OK. Compression numbers were good. 106 cams are set right, runs well, should be nice to have good brakes and clutch.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
I love this stuff! Getting those two together... great!

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Duct holes

From the Centerline "how to tell a Veloce from a Normale" blurb, though I don't know where they got their info:
Andrew

Duct Holes
Some 750 and all 101 Spiders and Sprints have two holes for air ducting on the driver’s side fender well; however, only the Veloces use both holes. (Those 750 chassis that started with only one duct hole had a second hole cut into the fender well when the factory built them as Veloces.) On Normales the front hole is covered by a sheet metal plate fastened on by screws. On Veloces the front hole provides air from the front air scoop to the air cleaner. On both Normales and Veloces the rear hole provides air to the passenger compartment.
Andrew,

I'm attaching a photo of my '64 Giulia Spider Normale and i do not see a "second" hole in the inner fender for air venting. Ideas?

Thanks,

Ray

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
My 58 Normale has a hole with a plate over it just behind the radiator support in the left inner fender. I'm assuming the Giulias didn't have this, or need it, because the Veloce air box on a Giulia doesn't have the same trunking, does it? It's a filter box on the inner fender, if I remember right?

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
3,595 Posts
Ray yours is 100% correct for the period - when Alfa went over to the 1600 motor they dropped the Veloce model altogether, so there was no need for the second hole. None of the '62 & '63 cars have it & there are no Veloce models in these years. Persistent delays at Arese & Pininfarina meant that the Duetto launch was late.....

A Flagship Spider was needed to carry the Marque & Alfa hastily launched the 1600 Giulia Spider Veloce during '64 & '65 while they sorted out the Duetto for '66 - enter the second hole punched in the inner wing again.

Your car may be an early '64 just before the change back to 2 holes ??

Yet another quirk in the evolution of the species.

Ciao
Greig

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Great documentation Greig. I knew it was the 1600, but could not remember the years. I think it's late '64 Veloces because Alfa did not have true model years.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Fender holes

Greig,

My born-on April 15, 1964, Giulia Spider is one of those "before" cars, evidently.

Ciao,

Ray

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Veloce has been trapped in the garage by Fords. First by my Sunbeam Tiger project, then for the last month by my 1969 F250 pickup, dead in the driveway with a broken ring and pinion. Got that sorted, got the Veloce out today for the first time since like May.

It was starting poor last time I drove it, looked at the cap and rotor (Bosch distributor) replaced them, set the timing, much better.

Today, finally got around the installing the Rugh front sway bar I bought last year. 23mm compared to stock 17mm. I also got a 21mm bar as part of the deal, but I couldn't find bushings to fit. Nor could I find 23, only 25. Someone on the BB pointed out genericy Australian poly bushings that were close for a 7/8" bar, so I bought those. Slight trimming needed, minor work with a hacksaw and razor blade, and voila, installed.

Car is much more confidence-inspiring in turns now, very happy. In time I will do a-arm bushings and ball joints, but this was a good step. Planning to bring it on Patrick's Monterey drive in August.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
It's Monterey week, I took the Veloce down for Patrick Hung's Giulietta drive Thursday, got to meet Richard Wigley of the Giulietta Register, over from the UK. Approx 10 cars, plus a Ferrari, Lancia Aurelia, 115 Spider. Did 185-mile(!) drive from Seaside to Watsonville to San Juan Batista to King City and back. Good drive, long day. Veloce did great, new sway bar is much nicer in the twisties. Was very hot along SR 25 south of Tres Pinos, I took it easy, have only a four-speed, the group moved faster than I wanted to go in that heat, so held to 4000 in fourth (with 4.10 rear end). All good. Didn't do any other Monterey events, came home Friday. Including down and back from Berkeley, side trip to Carmel, put in 450 miles in two days. Car didn't miss a beat. Used a half quart of oil.

Here it is in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Monterey with an Italian friend. Check out the size difference. Modern cars are massive by comparison (4C excepted). I didn't take any pics on the drive, was driving, but I'm hoping one of the other participants will post or send around to those who were there.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Dang I haven't posted on this in a long time. Brakes were getting sticky etc., so I pulled all six wheel cylinders out and had Karp's sleeve them in stainless, which I should have done when I had the master done five years ago. Back in, all good, the brakes are so much more progressive now. Really a worthwhile fix.

Have done a few drives, taking it on a Tiger club drive this weekend since my Tiger still isn't mobile. Took it to a Cars n Coffee in Novato and pulled up next to a Boss 429 Mustang, asked if he wanted race against my awesome 78. He laughed. Speaking of Mustangs, here is the sublime and the ridiculous in red convertibles. Bought this 89 Fox-body LX Mustang 5.0 this week, five-speed, one owner, old guy, never got a ticket or smoked the tires. It's amazing. New full exhaust and convertible top probably set the owner back more than I paid for it. Changed all the fluids, gonna go hunting for 78 CI Alfas.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Took it to another Cars n Coffee at Blackhawk Museum Sunday, they are having idiot troubles with noise, burnouts, and whatnot. The guard handed me a no-burnouts notice, I gave it back. Really? Look at this car; no way on earth I can do a burnout. One other Alfa, one Fiat Dino; 1000 Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros. Yawn.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
I CAN do a pretty good ones with my Ausca Spider, and the 275GTB Andrew. I actually have, totally unintentionally, on different race tracks. In the Alfa, I bent the long driveshaft tube when I shifted. ( what's that vibration? It wasn't there a moment ago.) With the 275, I snapped off the splined engine / clutch end of the finger diameter drive shaft. WHY? Stupidity, in the heat of racing. Maybe if you have a Dodge Demon or Hellcat, you do this but those cars were designed to go in a straight line. Alfas were built to go around corners....
Only my opinion.

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I have never done a burnout on purpose. Did one accidentally once in a guy's 67 Mustang at a school at Willow. Honest, it was a mistake. 350 HP plus an in/out clutch.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I just had the driveshaft out of a 74 Spider, big bend/ding in it. It's just a tube.
I'm working on a 1900 that has a 72 engine/trans in it. They cut off the front of the 1900 driveshaft to fit the yoke for the 115 five-speed; the tube wall thickness is less than you'd think, I think.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
11,327 Posts
Flex joint had the GTA shields, but was questionable and replaced. Even a mouse engine can damage a drivetrain, unrestrained. I now use one of the MB flex joints with the REALLY tough Spruell shield.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
I left my Nana's place after lunch in the 1750 once and, because her house was on a main road you have to give it a bit of gas to jump into a gap, I embarrassingly spun the inside rear wheel for ~20 metres ... she never drove and undoubtedly watched me thinking what a stupid young man I was :blushing:

Maybe justification for a limited slip differential, but if my memory is correct I think this was before I replaced the worn out tyres.
Pete

101 - 120 of 155 Posts