Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I haven't posted any pics up lately so I thought I might do it now before winter hits. Sam asked me to post some up after I picked up his nice set of wheels today for my sisters 164L (Thanks Sam!)
Anyway, this summer my engine blew (see the nasty pics below). So after a nice fresh rebuild and implant of another S motor, the car is running beautifully. We definitely learned a lot while swapping/rebuilding the motor, and I have to give a lot of credit to the BB, using the search function really helps!
While the car was out of commission, I added KONI adjustable shocks with B+G springs from Jason. The car handles awesome with the suspension and my 225/45 Toyo proxes. I also bought a set of hubcentric adapters form Charlie DiMarco, which allowed me to use the 17x7.5 BBS RK-II wheels that I recently refurbished. Then I also added a 8000K HID kit to my euro projectors, a night a day difference. Anyway here are some pics:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Nice job. Black is a awesome color for the S. How many miles since installation, on the "new engine" ?
No snow yet in CT, so you must still be driving her. Happy motoring!
Frank
1994 LS
59 & 60 Giulietta's

·
Registered
596 Posts
No snow yet in CT, so you must still be driving her. Happy motoring
Had snow up in Bloomfield last week. Nokian snows are mounted up ready for the winter!

Car looks great Mike! Can you tell me more about the hubcentric adapters? Converts to 5x100 I assume? Can't believe I haven't run into you yet...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
I've put about 2,500 miles since everything was finished in July.
The adapters convert to 5x100. I had a different set of wheels with the wobble bolts, and I could never get them to be perfectly centered, even with hubcentric rings. So I chose to go a different route. The back of the adapter is hubcentric to the alfa hub (57.1mm), and the front portion that protrudes out is hubcentric to a vw hub (58.1mm). Basically you just bolt it onto your hub and then put the wheel on the studs with the lugs that Charlie gives you. The wheel just needs to have pockets on the backside for the bolt heads. Here are some pics.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Good to hear how you turned the blown engine situation into an opportunity to refurbish your S. She looks great - excellent engine cosmetics and great overall upgrades!

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
Good to hear how you turned the blown engine situation into an opportunity to refurbish your S. She looks great - excellent engine cosmetics and great overall upgrades!

Best regards,
Lookin Good!!!
I like all the upgrades and work done as well. Paint looks fantastic too.
Jason

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dude!!!!! I just saw this thread! Your car is slammin!! I gotta drive up to connecticut one of these days!! You wait till I'm done with mine (probably wont be for another 5 or so months cos I can't seem to make any time just yet!) That is the look I am shooting for. Good job on the car!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have to ask about those front calipers - I don't have those on mine (although they look disturbingly like the 4 pots on my Porsche?)
Also noticed your wheels are similar to the ones on my 164...
Obviously you have great taste! :D

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tetteh- thanks bro. Let me know if your ever coming up here so we can meet up.
Frank- I went cheap and bought caliper covers. They are not the real thing :eek:. But I almost bought the front 4 piston calipers/rotors/carriers, etc. from a 147 GTA in the UK a few weeks ago. Only thing is that it would have costed $900 USD that I couldn't spend at the time. I think I might do it in the future as I will always have to have a larger-than-stock size rim on the car. Unfortunately, this is my daily driver, and I just put the stocks on the car with snow tires last sunday.
Also, what kind of wheels are those on the car?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Beautiful car!!

Very nice! I love the look of the lower skirts painted to match on black 164's, it seems like the only color that can pull it off on the 164. Nice engine bay too!

Is that a Zender front lip (or is it called air dam/chin spoiler..not sure)? If it's not Zender (which I know is unavailable) where did you get it?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
looks stunning, great job!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made the front lip by laying fiberglass over foam that I had shaped to size. I also shaved the headlight washers and cut out/smoothed the grill slats. I used layers of bondo and plastic to smooth it all out. I took it of for the winter and I am going to try to improve the design.
Thanks for all the compliments!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mike
re: wheels
MIM Ruote Alloy Wheels S.p.A., Via Padana Superiore, 18/20 - 25045 Castegnato (BS) - Italy

I got them a few years back and notice that model isn't on their site anymore. Nice thing is that they actually have 5x98 with a 58.1 center bore! Bad thing is that the offset is correct but the mounting ring is too thin and actually requires either shorter bolts or wheel spacers (i opted for the latter for that "fatter" look).

Another place to check for inexpensive aftermarket wheels is cheapwheels
http://www.cheapwheels.com/Alfa-Romeo-C4.aspx
Even though he doesn't have any listed for alfa he might be able to get some if you ask. A friend got some really nice rims for his 75 spider from there.

I wonder if those "caliper" covers would fit over my P-car calipers - they're in need of some serious refurbishment.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
the timing belt must have slipped and piston #2 chewed up its vavles pretty good and blew a hole in the valve bowl
Also forgot to mention that one of the connecting rods that I pulled out was shaped like a banana. My guess was that it was hydro locked from the coolant that flooded the intake. Coould it be something else?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts