Alfa Romeo Forums banner

161 - 180 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Man, talk about shenanigans, this oil cooler and its attendant lines was a real pain! I got the oil cooler from Summit Racing, and plumbed it in with -10 AN hose (5/8"). The cooler is about the size of an iPad, and I'm told it's able to shed enough heat on these engines to support up to 200 hp. Getting the cooler mounted was a straight forward exercise in bracket fab. But the braided lines... man! My engine guy warned me about that. He also recommended using 45 degree bends instead of ninety or higher. It just made things harder, especially when wrestling with the larger hose size. Anyway, it's done. And thank goodness, cause those bits aren't cheap. Probably $150 in fittings alone.

Next up will be a fuel cell and fresh harness. I'll wait a few weeks to get the latest 2011 date stamping for them. In the meantime I may modify the dash wiring and paint. I'm also still debating the merits of an oil accumulator (Accusump).

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Did the oil change, nothing too exciting there...

Except for installing a neodymium high-power magnet for the drain plug! Yeah!!

Pay no attention to the forlorn SPICA manifold in the background.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
These magnets are strong enough to stop your heart (if you have an implanted pacemaker).

Here's a photo showing the magnet suspending not only the oil plug, but also a squirt can of oil, while hanging from a fuel hose nipple off that SPICA manifold. Didn't even break a magnetic sweat doing it. Shoot, this magnet might actually cost me horsepower by slowing the crank via magnetic drag.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
More magnet fun

Here's a feat of magnetic strength:
1/2" socket wrench with extended 14mm impact socket
Forlorn SPICA intake
8oz oil squirter
17mm Snap-On combo wrench
Safety glasses

And sideways, even. Dayum! It could have taken more, but I was running out of crap to stack on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
...And sideways, even...
I see you have one of those new Kenmore anti-gravity laundry machines with a racing poster stuck to the front that you can admire while lounging on your creeper.

Very eco-friendly of you.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
That's a high-capacity M a y t a g, Stoppie, and who you calling a creep?

Anyway, back to business. Lets see what's in my bag of tricks...

Ah hah! What's this? Another tasty bit? Another custom go-fast alloy goodie drilled for lightness? What is it, and where does it go?

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Alright, not exactly a go-fast goodie. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Just a bracket to attach extra throttle return springs. One per carb. Race rules say you need them, so here they are:

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
The $2500 "Economy" fuel cell

Once again, if I charged myself normal shop hours, I'd have more than $2500 into what should be a cheap ($500) solution to a certified fuel cell.

I bought an ATL "Well Cell" that's round and fits in the spare tire well. I went with the 8 gallon model because the 12 gallon is more than I need and is a couple inches taller than the spare well (making a cover for it more difficult). I wanted to simply install the cell, slap an aluminum panel over it, and call it good. Weeell, as with many of my race car sub-projects, these were delusions of simplicity.

Since the battery was in the way of the spare well's edge, as well as the fact that my Boeing overstock aluminum panel is only 24" wide (and the spare well is 27" diameter), I fabbed up a panel to close up some of the well. Also welded in some studs onto that panel to simplify the future top cover's attachment point at that edge.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
Then I drilled holes and installed metric weld nuts around the well to serve as attachment points for the cell's top cover. The orange paint is weld-through primer. Yes, it's slightly painful to grind away perfectly good paint. This better be worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Also patched up the holes from the prior test cell's mounting points. This was once a very clean area. Hard grinding, spark burn, weld splatter, and general disarray left this place ugly. Sniff.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
But alas, a good vacuuming, acetone rag, and fresh paint makes things presentable again. Here's the little troublemaker sitting pretty. The upcoming aluminum cover panel will help hold it in place, but I'll need to place some bolsters and maybe metal strapping to more firmly secure the cell in its spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)
And here it is pretty much done. Just need to attach the hoses and a grounding strap.

I know a race car fuel cell is not a glamorous part of the build, but it was such a pain in the buttocks for me that it deserved its own play-by-play posting.

Huh..., I think I'm a fresh set of harnesses away from being completely done. Gotta file some paperwork and get this heap registered for racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
And here it is pretty much done. Just need to attach the hoses and a grounding strap.

I know a race car fuel cell is not a glamorous part of the build, but it was such a pain in the buttocks for me that it deserved it's own play-by-play posting.

Huh, I think I'm a fresh set of harnesses away from being completely done. Gotta file some paperwork and get this heap registered for racing.
Looks great!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Had the car corner weighed the other day, and it was a little heavy at the front left wheel. So the obvious solution was to lighten the hood prop.

It's steel, so what are my options? Aluminum is too soft and bendable, carbon fiber is not vintage, wood (though pretty) is a fire hazard, and plastic/delrin would be cheezy. So I procured some titanium rod and added a spherical bearing rod end to that sucker. Negates some weight advantage of the Ti, but this is now the most advanced Alfa hood prop in the world.

Showing off its non-magnetism for the photo, it's flanked with not only the same type of high-powered magnet from the most powerful Alfa oil drain plug on earth (a few posts back), but also a medical magnet used to reset/deactivate cardiac pacemakers through the skin. Those two magnets really wanted to get together, that's as close as I could place them. Notice the titanium hood prop doesn't even bat an eye. Threw in the Stomper to carry on the theme of toughness.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Next up, the alternator stay. That original flat bent piece of metal was simple and effective, but you all probably have figured out that I can't leave that (well enough) alone. So I had to match it to the hood prop, meaning, make it the most advanced Alfa alternator stay in the world! Viva Heim joints!

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
I attended my first race last weekend. Car ran well, though I discovered the rev limiter was cutting in at 6K. Gonna need to address that since it's costing me a chunk of horsepower. The suspension was very neutral, but I think I can make some improvements there as well. Will also need to fine tune the jetting and timing.

Though I didn't come close to setting any track records, I had a great time dicing with the British cars. There was a friendly chap at the races taking excellent pictures, and posted them to his Smugmug site. I'd credit him if I could remember his name.

Anyway, here's a few bookend pics:

Attachments

161 - 180 of 764 Posts