Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Rusty Racer, I don't know the specifics of how the boosters were deleted, my mechanic did it for me in the process of routing the new Cunifer brake lines. Deleting the boosters and moving the battery does indeed clean up the engine bay. I may end up filling in that space with the Accusump.

Here's a picture of the oil filter adapter as it mounts to the block. Yes, I'm procrastinating starting up the car:

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I attached a Vitaloni race mirror yesterday. I don't know why I only bought one. I'll need another for the pass. side, and maybe another in the middle for rear-view instead of the usual Spa mirror on a stalk. That sucker's unreasonably expensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think you have to take out the wiper linkage and clog up the holes, will save weight and improve aerodynamics.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Thanks, wiper linkage and motor may need to stay, we have strict club rules.

Another side project was the issue of the hood prop, or lack thereof. I don't know why anyone would grind off the hood prop bracket in the engine bay, but someone did. It's been a nuisance keeping a broomstick on hand to prop up the hood, so I went ahead and fabbed a bracket for a stock prop. I may weld it on in the future. No hurry, the big rivets are fine for now.

I know, not very exciting as far as projects go, but quite satisfying to delete the awkward broomstick option:

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
While cleaning up the body, the body shop wanted to smooth in the trough where chrome hard top mounts are located just aft of the cabin. I vetoed that idea with the intention of keeping those nice chrome bits in place. I vaguely remembered seeing them in a plastic baggy along with the other bits and pieces that came with the car.

Well, after finally getting around to this issue, I found that the mounts that came with the car were quite corroded and essentially unusable (not that I planned to mount a hard top on the racer). So I made a light weight racing facsimile to cover the trough, using some of my Boeing surplus aluminum stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Huh, still not to page 8? Maybe posting a pic of my latest trim acquisition will get us to ocho. It think this pretty much completes the bodywork/trim section of this car build. No, I take that back. Still have to fab up a windscreen. Dang.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm really enjoying this thread.

I don't know if it's because I have a Duetto...or the general tone and well written posts...or because there have been old motorcycles discussed but I have a feeling it's because my shop trashcan matches your car.

Could be a bit of them all I suppose.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thanks, Stoppie. That's a nice can you got there. It has the one thing my car lacks; patina.

Your rustic shop looks a bit like my own. Here's a pic showing not only that second Vitaloni mirror I promised myself, but also my humble abode. As they say on MTV's Cribs, "This is where the magic happens:"

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
... And one more for scale. Crazy that I can get anything done in that little hole, huh? Oh, that blue blob in the foreground is my poor street Spider under a cover waiting to get his house back.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
Love these kinds of builds stories with fabrication and problem-solving pics. Your oil filter mount looks very much the factory Spica fuel filter mount. Just like Alfa woulda done.
Andrew

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
You can spend about $17 per number plate from a speedshop, or buy the roll of adhesive 3M Scotchcal vinyl and cut your own. I got a great deal on the stuff from a signmaker, and used my handy-dandy circle making tool to scribe out my own number plates. I like big number plates with big numbers, it means business. Problem is, I don't yet have an assigned number. But I'll sure have room for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Now look and see what a difference some black outlining makes. The number plates really pop now. And notice red street Duetto jealously looking on in the background:

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
That is amazing how "finished" the black pinstripe edging makes it look. Man this has been a great build up!! Do you have a pile of old parts you're looking to get rid of???

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I somehow missed this thread completely until today. What an awesome project and great read. You have a nice eye for detail, I noticed that you put in a tach from a 1600 Spider...with the redline at 6300 rpm;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #117

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Not much new to report. I'm wrestling with the fabrication of a windscreen. Gotta hurry, it's the last thing to keep me from the car's first track day coming up on the 22nd. In celebration of Alfa's 100th anniv., the Northwest Alfa club is offering free track days to Alfas. What better opportunity to debut, test, and sort the car?

Before I get the car on the track, I want some means of filtering the intake. I'd like a cold air intake like TWM's offering, but my velocity stacks are long and fairly close to the engine bay wall. Clearance would be an issue, so I'll probably have to make my own. In the meantime, I found these stainless steel triple mesh screens. Supposed to filter down to .009". It should be enough to keep out rocks and yellow jackets at the upcoming lapping day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
You can fit the "sock" type over the air horns, which you must know about. Here's what my Super has. Not sure where the PO got these but I bet Pegasus or Pierce has them.
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The old 101 racers would cut the fender sheet, perhaps with a reinforcing doubler. That'd make plenty of room for a GTA style fiberglass canister. Then a big tube forward and a big filter there.

Robert

101 - 120 of 764 Posts