Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great thread! kept me from work this afternoon... :)

Please keep us updated, my 69 spider is currently with Vintage customs...ETA summer next year for completion, fast road/mild track...so I'd love to pick it up and then zoom down to see you in action...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Great thread! kept me from work this afternoon... :)

Please keep us updated, my 69 spider is currently with Vintage customs...ETA summer next year for completion, fast road/mild track...so I'd love to pick it up and then zoom down to see you in action...
I detect a PNW Duetto/boattail get together in the making.... :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
This pretty much brings me up to date. I'll post more pictures as I continue with further projects like wiring, interior and exterior trim, dash gauges, etc. Actually, there's still quite a laundry list of tasks before it hits the track, but for now, I'm taking break. I think I'll have a glass of wine.

P.S.: Painting/pinstriping isn't that hard.
I like it................nice job!!! :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am doing a build up of my old 59 guilietta race car [been siting on jackstands 25 yrs] I better get some pics together and start a post. I just hope mine turns out as good as Nadar,s .......his is a job well done!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. It was a real milestone to get the paint on the car, and actually have it home for good. It's been hiding in the corner of various shops around Seattle for the last 2.5 years. I figure that I got at least $2K worth of free dry storage (using rates I occasionally pay to store my other vehicles) in return for my patience. Storage space around my small house is definitely at a premium. But now I've cleared the one-car garage of my motorcycle projects, and will attack the remaining (multiple) small jobs on the racer from time to time. I have all of fall and winter to button it up.

The paint went on surprisingly smoothly. Maybe I got lucky with the spray gun settings which I hadn't changed since I sprayed a motorcycle tank a couple years ago. Maybe I got lucky with the right ratio of paint to reducer. Maybe it's just not hard to paint if you take your time and prep well.

I won't say the paint is perfect. I had a couple of small runs in the body's side scallops, some rougher spots of overspray, and some mild orange peel. But it's all correctable and most of it has been. Sandpaper and touch-up are your friends. It could probably use a good rubdown with cutting compound and polisher. Not bad for a $150 paint job. But I don't want to obsess on the skin. Like I said before, it's a race car finish, somewhat expendable, and can easily be fixed between race seasons. I look forward to a bit of race patina :).

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have spent more time masking, because I now have blue and orange splotches on the underbody (to be covered with a light coat of Wurth's), old tires (will be disposed), and driveway (don't care, will weather away).

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Nice! I've painted a few beater bikes and cars with Brightside and Rustoleum with decent results. Reading this really makes me want to build a race car. Cool to see the vintage bike racing too. My first motorcycle was a Honda CL175.

Edit: that was supposed to be an exclamation mark, not a question mark....Oops

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well done for painting the car yourself. I did the same. I've taken a bit of ribbing that the finish isn't concourse but the photo below shows that, even if you aren't hit by another car, you can't account for things that might happen (in this case another car hitting a tyre/tire bundle that was then punted into the path of my car and bounced off the corner)

I recently read an article in the AROC UK magazine that pointed out that the racers of the 60's looked messy (poor paint, rippled panels etc) and that modern racing historic cars weren't authentic in this respect. The logic of the 60's was that the money was better spent on making the car faster or more reliable and being pretty didn't win races. My thoughts entirely...

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A pal of mine used to race Formula Ford and had a real junkpile of a trailer which we used to mock. His response was that when they started having races for trailers he'd build a decent trailer, until then he'd put his money into the car.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Back to the project in real time...

I've been dicking around with an oil catch can idea. It needs to be a low profile one quart aluminum container, preferably of vintage origin. I found the perfect candidate; a 1950's(?) Boy Scouts canteen, turned upside down. Drilled a couple of holes for barbs and affixed the hose and air filter.

Also got the Alfaholics mini alternator installed. This thing only needs to power the ignition, fuel pump, gauges, and taillights.

A sharp eye will notice the lack of an oil filter. It had to be removed to install the bolt for the alternator. I'll be relocating the oil filter and converting it to a spin-on, anyhow.

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you want more power (who doesn't?), full-radius Piper-X trumpets will add a minimum of 2-3bhp over those you have fitted. At around $100 a set, that's very cheap horsepower relative to most ways of achieving that.

Both Max Banks and I have measured real HP gains on a dyno with this change.

Richard

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Not much more work happening, maybe a little interior installation. Been sidetracked and have to put the project on hold until November. Then things will really start happening.

I've finally got a decent trailer (Wells Cargo 20', fully wired for 120V, diamond plate everywhere), which is now the car's new lair. It's bigger and better lit than my one-car garage, so I should be able to get a fair amount of work done in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
Took a break from the project for a few months, but now I'm back at it. Actually, I've been accumulating parts and contemplating the rest of the build for the last several weeks. Surveying what's left, I think I can get the racer up and running within a month or so.

I've been easing back into the build by tackling small projects... odds and ends with the interior, trim, clutch bleeding, etc. Then I worked my way up to the fuel system.

The original fuel tank was removed and the space blocked off in anticipation of a fuel cell going in the spare tire well. But first, I had to remove that dome and replace it with flat sheet metal to serve as a solid mounting base for the cell. The panel is blue because it used to be part of a Harbor Freight parts washer stand. I'll be saving that excised dome for the day when these Duettos fetch 6 figures in street form. I'm hoping that dome doesn't serve any significant structural purpose. In case it does, I have a few yards of angle iron I can weld onto the new panel's underside to support it.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I've never welded this much all at once, and now I have a new appreciation for the experts who make it look easy. But the hard part is done, and sloppy work is mostly remedied with some good grinding and a coat of paint. See?

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
I didn't want to drop $800 on a safety-rated fuel cell with a limited life span until the car is fully sorted and ready for the competitive racing that demands an ATL or Fuelsafe. That might not be until next year.

In the meantime, I found this sweet little 4 gallon aluminum cell for 1/10th the cost of the real deal. It has the nice filler cap, anti-slosh foam, anti-rollover valved vent, etc. I'll use it as my testing cell to get the car up and running for further development on the dyno and track days. Four gallons should be worth at least 30-45 minutes at WOT. That's plenty for the development stage.

I was torn about the location of the fuel pump (that barrel behind the cell). I like protecting it from gravel and off-track excursions by mounting it inside the trunk, but suspect it would be safer to have it under the chassis outside the car in case a hose breaks loose in a crash or such. I suspect I'll have to relocate it to the outside of the spare well's wall once the larger racing cell is installed.

Still have to reconfigure fuel hoses, run hard lines under the car, and wire in the pump. Which will lead into the next major project (for me) which is wiring up the electrical system. I have a few tricks up my sleeve for that...

Attachments

61 - 80 of 764 Posts