Alfa Romeo Forums banner

701 - 720 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
This last weekend, I travelled again to Spokanistan, I mean, Spokane, for the always fun Festival of Speed. Have I mentioned before how I always have a good time in Spokane? And how I always promise myself that I'll never camp out again? On top of that, I always seem to show up late enough to miss out on prime or even acceptable paddock space on decent, level asphalt.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
My spot had a prime view of this recently burned down hulk of a Winnebago. I heard it was the water heater's propane line that failed.

In other news, I brought one of my favorite track foods from home; Shirazi salad. I made a gallon of it, and my brother and I finished it all in one day. Similar to Italian gaspacho salad, or Mexican pico de gallo. Very light and refreshing. Red solo cup to keep it on the down-low.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
No, it's not like the port-a-potties there would never be the same. Fact is, shirazi salad is probably the ideal track food. I shouldn't even be saying this, since it qualifies as a speed secret.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
Some vintage racing fans will find out, if they don't already know, that a racer died at this race in Spokane. I was in his group. Second to last race of the weekend on Sunday. He was racing an Elva Mk7s (with BMW power). He was a front runner in our mixed group. Halfway through the first lap, where he was already a few seconds ahead of me, I saw a cloud of dust, and large chunks of rock and gravel on the track, but no wreckage. We were given a full course caution with pace car for a couple laps before the session was called off.

What I learned later was that there was a suspected mechanical failure, possible front suspension, that led to his car suddenly veering off to the infield of the track at the end of the back straight. There's an embankment there, and it catapulted him high up in the air, barrel rolling multiple times, landing deep in the infield and out of sight from the track. He was taken to the hospital where he was declared dead.

I like the Spokane track a lot. It might be my favorite, but it's unforgiving. I know of 2 racers who have died there, one in a car and another on a motorcycle, and several who have been maimed. This is just in my experience with this track in car and motorcycle racing over the last 10 years. It's better now than in the past, but in my opinion it definitely needs improvement in run-off space and fewer embankments.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
Welp, it has been five years since my last trip out there, so I feel like it's time to go back out to Road America again. I feel like both myself and the car have developed significantly, so I hope to make a better showing this time around. I am signed up for the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival on September 15 at Road America. I made several friends in the Alfa camp last time, and will be pitting with them again this year.

But first, I have to repair my cracked headers, again. My exhaust system hangs low, and it keeps banging against loading ramps and what-not while I am transporting the car. Those delicate, thin walled headers absorb the impact and inevitably crack. So I took them off, and re-welded them.

To fix the issue for good, I decided to redo my exhaust system from the headers back. I sliced up the collector so that I could introduce an S-bend so that it tucks up higher and closer to the body for more ground clearance. Then I ditched my old Magnaflow muffler for a smaller glass pack. Car was too quiet anyway with that muffler. Also trimmed up the megaphone and hung it up higher.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Huh, I did that last post entirely by my phone using the mobile version of this website. Pictures came out like crap.

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
The problem with side exhausts is when they hit the body shell or ground it puts a lot of torque on to the exhaust manifold. Note how exhausts are usually designed to go down near the middle of the car, when rear wheel drive, so the engine, gearbox and exhaust all can move and twist together.

The only real solution, for side pipes, is to solid mount the engine and gearbox.
Pete

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Hi Pete. I had no intention of installing a side dump exhaust until I realized there was no room for traditional rear exit once the sliding block and its yoke was in place. I'm guessing Autodelta realized the same problem with the GTA.

·
Richard Jemison
7,081 Posts
Exhaust

Nader, Jim Steck has tested collector lengths effect on HP/Tq.
Basically from the collector beginning the total collector length should be 15", 30", 45"or 60". Nothing "in-between" as loss is in 8HP range. Any muffler/resonator is considered the end of the collector. Out the rear exhaust likely causes resonance that will screw up mid-range AFR.
Just FYI

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
Hi Pete. I had no intention of installing a side dump exhaust until I realized there was no room for traditional rear exit once the sliding block and its yoke was in place. I'm guessing Autodelta realized the same problem with the GTA.
Could you just dump the exhaust down to the ground, instead of the side pipe? I'm not sure if this would even be legal on a race track but my understanding is that it just has to exit past the driver?

Unfortunately I believe your exhaust will crack pretty quickly as it is so tight up against the body so there is no room for movement.

IDEA: Could you install some of that flexible exhaust pipe before it turns to go towards the side?
Pete

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Nader, Jim Steck has tested collector lengths effect on HP/Tq.
Basically from the collector beginning the total collector length should be 15", 30", 45"or 60". Nothing "in-between" as loss is in 8HP range. Any muffler/resonator is considered the end of the collector. Out the rear exhaust likely causes resonance that will screw up mid-range AFR.
Just FYI
Thanks for the tip, Richard, but I think I stumbled into the magic of harmonics by accident. 15" you say?...

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #714
Could you just dump the exhaust down to the ground, instead of the side pipe? I'm not sure if this would even be legal on a race track but my understanding is that it just has to exit past the driver?

Unfortunately I believe your exhaust will crack pretty quickly as it is so tight up against the body so there is no room for movement.

IDEA: Could you install some of that flexible exhaust pipe before it turns to go towards the side?
Pete
Thanks for giving this so much thought, Pete. The exhaust has at least one centimeter clearance from all rails and panels, you just can't tell from the photo. It is suspended by a double-layered rubber damped exhaust hanger. I can get away with that because this exhaust system is so light. The glass pack is only 5 pounds (previous muffler was 10 pounds). I do, however, need to damp the end of the megaphone like I did before. I thought I could get away without it this time now that the megaphone is shorter, but there is still excessive vibration at the end of it.

I only started banging the exhaust and cracking the manifold when I switched to 55 series tires, which lowered the car those last few crucial millimeters of clearance that I had before with the 60 series tires.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
Put new shoes on the wheels. Street Spider in the background, as usual, looks on jealously. That car is a real sweetheart, really deserves it's own thread someday. A keen eye will spot the Road America track map on my truck's tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
I'm partway on the long journey to Road America in Wisconsin. I wanted to get a picture of the sign for the continental divide, but I was passing through in the dark.

And here's a picture at a rest stop somewhere between Bozeman and Billings Montana. Oh, and here's a picture of my set up at my favorite roadside campsite. This one is in Sioux Springs South Dakota, just before entering Minnesota. My second night on the road. First night was spent somewhere in the middle of Montana. Also at Walmart. Sleeping in the back of your truck every night on a 3 day road trip to race on the other side of the country is something every amateur racer should experience. Not really.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
Yes, Pete. I am not messing around! My first trip to Road America exactly five years ago was fun, but I was unprepared. To liken it to visiting another country, I feel like this time, I have studied the culture and I know the language. I hope this trip and race will be more fulfilling.

Here I am, somewhere in Minnesota. More greenery, and farm implements.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
And here I am in Wisconsin. Home of Road America. I could've stopped here, but i'm continuing on down south to Chicago to hook up with my college buddy. He is also racing, a series 2 Spider, and we will caravan back up north to the track.

I know there is no Alfa content in these pictures. Perhaps it is more of an ode to my truck and trailer which gets me there.

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
And here I am in Wisconsin. Home of Road America. I could've stopped here, but i'm continuing on down south to Chicago to hook up with my college buddy. He is also racing, a series 2 Spider, and we will caravan back up north to the track.

I know there is no Alfa content in these pictures. Perhaps it is more of an ode to my truck and trailer which gets me there.
That's OK mate we all know what's in the trailer no pics needed for that .Maybe a couple after the race. :laugh2:

701 - 720 of 764 Posts