Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info on the lathe.

I think the fire you speak of happened at Texas World Speedway about 4 years ago. Of course I can't find a link to it. Seems it was a dark gray car. It was not good.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
No, the Porsche grass fire I saw happened about 8 years ago at PRI outside of Seattle. I guess this happens more often than you'd think.

On a more positive note, I've now got this large bar of my favorite light, strong, non-magnetic metal. There's the ole recurring super magnet under it as proof. I don't know why I get such a kick out titanium's ability to withstand the attraction.

So, what to do with 10 lbs of 6Al-4V? Pound it out into an awesome sword? Slice it up into a high-tech set of Dominos? No, this is an Alfa racer thread, and this metal is going racing. I've got some ideas how, but first I need to make a trip to the water jet. That's the only reasonable way to cut this lump. Stay tuned...

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Duetto Racer

That is an amazing amount of work you have done to a great looking car.

But I can't believe that you have not lowered the roll cage in your efforts to save weight. That cage is at least a foot above your head in each of your pictures. I do not know of any sanctioning body that requires more than 3 inches maximum and most are less than that. Typical belt stretch on race belts is actually less than 2 inches. Just think of the weight you could save there and how much it would lower the center of gravity on the car.

Loved the lap in the rain. You'll have to post a dry lap for us in the future if that ever actually occurs in the pacific northwest.

Ventura Alfa

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
But he took off the windshield, so the roll-over line is from the hood to the top of the roll bar. The bar has to be pretty tall to get a helmet under that.

Robert

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
During that rain race, and also during the brief dry spells, I enjoyed racing against a Marcos 1800. It's the blue blur in front of me in the video. Beautiful little car, and I was shocked to learn it was made largely of plywood!

Seeing that car move so well, I naturally thought that my own racer could benefit from the use of wood in its build. So I set to work with some pressure-treated lumber left over from a recent deck project to make a proper camera mount for the roll cage, since my current one is held in place with duct tape and zip ties. This is no hillbilly solution, it's dampened with a piece of a vintage motorcycle rubber inner tube (I don't throw anything away) and is extremely light. See for yourself:

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
But he took off the windshield, so the roll-over line is from the hood to the top of the roll bar. The bar has to be pretty tall to get a helmet under that.

Robert
No it doesn't. Compare this car versus the photo of the other cars he is racing. They have also removed their windscreens. And note how correctly low "our" racer sits.

Just my opinion.
Pete

·
Richard Jemison
7,077 Posts
Roll Hoop Design

I have to agree with Pete, it really is ugly. (sorry) The hoop is a terrible design and an affront to the beauty of the Duetto. It is one thing you should have changed over the winter.

I prefer the asymetrical design (see Paul Spruell`s Yellow car) and am considering whacking and modifying mine to similar design.

There is no additional safety in the added height.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I've always felt the roll bars on any Duetto are an ugly scar on a beautiful race car. I understand the safety issues though.

The very first road race I ever saw was at the VacaValley Raceway near my home in the mid 50's. I absolutely fell in love with a D-Jaguar that was racing that day. The only "roll" bar was the bubble faring behind the driver's helmet.

Lovely! The Duetto as a racer reminds me of that, sans the roll cage.

Robert

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
A full cage (of the correct height) would look better and be safer ... and probably weigh similar, and stiffen the car.

Pete

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
The cage criticism is tiresome. Sorry it hurts your eyes, but I like it and it's staying as is.

Getting back to off-season projects...

I wanted to keep engine temps at bay, and the recored stock radiator wasn't keeping up. At least, not according to the 43 year old temp gauge. So when A. Georgi (from this site) offered up a short run of custom high performance aluminum radiators for the spider, I partook.

Like he said in his posts when he introduced the project, some sheet metal mods are necessary to make it fit. Nothing major. It has a nice oil/water heat exchanger to act as an oil cooler (currently unused). I'm debating whether to delete my stand-alone oil cooler or to plumb it into the one in the radiator for a double cooling effect. I'll wait and see how much a dent this radiator makes into my temps before I change too much at once.

This radiator is thicker than stock, and my previous 12" Spal electric fan no longer squeezes in between it and the water pump pulley. So the fan had to go. It was only good for managing temps while idling in pregrid, so I think I can do without it. If need be, I'll mount it up front as a pusher.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it. The looks are irrelevant. I'll take function over form any day.
See Alfa7's post.

In the end Nadar is out there doing it, while I am still trying to finish my car :eek:.
Pete

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
If I were smarter, I'd be running narrower street tires with decent treads for the rain. Scratch that. I were smarter, I wouldn't be racing an open car in the rain.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Hi Eric. Yes, Group 2 did the cage, brakes, suspension and diff.

201 - 220 of 764 Posts