Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am picking up my first 164l (1993) tomm. and try as I might I can find info on every year but 93. Most parts catalogs go from 90-93 which are 12v and then 94-95 which are 24v , but others show all 93's being 24v. so I guess first my question is am I getting a 12v or 24v ? I would like to start ordering maint. parts for this winter. If it makes a diff. it is a 5speed.
Ever since I worked on Alfas back in the mid 70's while going thru high school and college Ive wanted 1 or 2. I worked for a company that installed AC units and radio's in them as they came from the port to the dealers. I cant tell you how many GT's and Milanos I put AC in and probably more than that radios and speakers. Common story I guess, Kids (7)are almost (1 left)grown and gone.. Ive been thru my American Muscle car phase..built and raced several Mustang cobras, fastest was street legal 10.4 1/4 at 137mph approx 800hp supercharged 4.6l. Now its time for a nice weekend cruiser for the wife and me. After I get to know the 164l I would love to buy a GT and either restore or use as a daily driver.thanks Robb

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
It's a 12V motor, parts to stock up on first and foremost would be a timing belt, water pump and tensioner if it has no record of being done. Then move on to other area like belts, fuel filter, hoses do a tune up etc. It should be a good car for you and if you have any questions you can post them here, this board is very helpful. Post some pics of your car so we can all check it out, best of luck,
Jon

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Ive been a lurker on this board for several months now and have learned alot. you hit the nail on the head those are the parts I will be ordering first and doing first. the owner has all the service records so i should have those tomm. also and know a few more things about her.the 350 mile drive home should tell me anything else I might need.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
A 1993 model year car in the US should be a 12V setup, as Jon said. As you drive home, notice the ride quality and evenness of suspension. If it wobbles after it goes over bumps, then a spring or strut may be aged and in need of replacement. I've had it happen. And as a related issue, I've not yet acquired a 164 that didn't need its strut boots and bump stops all replaced, and I've acquired several of them.

Michael

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've not yet acquired a 164 that didn't need its strut boots and bump stops all replaced, and I've acquired several of them.

Michael
I agree, very good point.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's home now

Well as the story goes I am now an Alfa owner. 2 plane flights and 600 miles later. 93 164L dark green, buckskin leather interior. driving, feeling and listening to her about the only item I can detect is the well known 2nd gear synchro issue, its not bad enough to worry about at all. the suspension seems fine as do every single button and switch. the previous owner gave me 2, 2 inch think folders of every service and part added or replaced which is nice he owned her for 10 years. 2 months ago the stepper motors were repaired... so this weekend an oil change, check under the hood, Pa state inspection and a very much needed detailing. I cann see the start of an addiction....Robb

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Did you get D. A.'s 93L?

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
It has one of my spare motronic engine computers in it. Hope you like the car.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do...I am planning on a weekend of detailing.. He did mention your name to me when I was in richmond yesterday if would need any help or questions answered. thanks she runs great.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
I know it looks better than my son's 91L Verde ebay rescue project but after 3 or so years I got it state inspected yesterday and drove it on a few errands around town. Won't show you rear profile as bumper and deck lid paint in sad shape. Still needs some TLC but we have saved another one from PO neglect. I believe you got a much better car as DA kept it up pretty well.

This is a rare non-sunroof early 91L which gives us tall guys some needed headroom.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Well as the story goes I am now an Alfa owner. 2 plane flights and 600 miles later. 93 164L dark green, buckskin leather interior. driving, feeling and listening to her about the only item I can detect is the well known 2nd gear synchro issue, its not bad enough to worry about at all. the suspension seems fine as do every single button and switch. the previous owner gave me 2, 2 inch think folders of every service and part added or replaced which is nice he owned her for 10 years. 2 months ago the stepper motors were repaired... so this weekend an oil change, check under the hood, Pa state inspection and a very much needed detailing. I cann see the start of an addiction....Robb
That is a new one for me on 164 5-speed having a 2nd gear syncro issue. What kind of issue do you have with 2nd gear? Granted that is ususally an issue with older Alfas especially rear transaxle models but not the 164.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HI, first thanks for the photos, I can say that my interior and carpets look better . she needs a good wash and wax and theres plenty of brake dust on the wheels.... as far as 2nd gear, if you take her up much past 4500 rpm and then shift 1-2 you need to take a moment or even double clutch or she wont go in. you can not shift quickly.. but from 2-3 and above no issues. there are no noises..the clutch feels good and linkage feels ok, a bit sloppy but most fwd's are.Robb

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
I forgot I have a spare tranny like that but only going into 5th gear above 70 but I have it out of car and waiting it's number in repair que for that and leaking issues. Guess you will have to shift sooner than 4500 but you have reached peak of torque curve pretty much by then anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts