Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfisti,

Does anyone have any photos of Alfa dealers in the U.S., or abroad, from the 50s or 60s? If so, let's post them up!

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
38 Posts

Alfa Romeo showroom Champs Elysee Paris (F)

Alfa Montevideo

Perth AU

Alfa Nashville

All pictures from the net unknown copyright.

Thom

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alfa Dealer Photos

Thom,

Great work! Let's see who can add to the gallery!

Ray

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike90,

Thanks for the photos.

The thought behind the original post was to locate 50s-60s photos. I suspect that my '64 Giulia Spider, AR 379356, may have been sold originally at the Madison Smith "Naturally" dealership in Nashville. Perhaps a BB member can shed so light on that, for me.

Thomfr, from the Netherlands, posted the photo of that dealership a couple of days ago. Now, we have your four, as well. Let's see how many we can gather and arrange by decades.

Ciao,

Ray

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Great thread! I love the old photos.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Garage Alfa Romeo in Paris XVI° (Street Marbeuf) built in 1927 by the architect Robert Mallet-Stevens ...

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
A few of these look to be more garage and service type .....rather than dealerships with showrooms........just saying:). Still neat though.
Most dealers in the day were independent repair shops specializing in European cars that evolved into dealerships. All they had to do was agree to carry the requisitioned quota of spare parts and some tooling, buy the signage, and have enough floor space to display one or two new cars. I doubt there was the training structures in place today. The cars were simple and manuals were enough for an experienced mechanic. Hell, we can do it. Many already had SAAB, Volvo, Peugeot, Simca, Renault, Porsche or FIAT e.g. The SAAB dealer in Hampton, Virginia in the early 70's was one such guy. His facility/shop was the size of a large gas station that had sliding glass doors in front to get the display cars in and out..

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alfa dealerships

These are great photos!

You guys are incredible; history and photos!

Let's see if anyone has any others, from any years.

I'll bet there are dozens out there in shoe boxes, filing cabinets, photo albums, scrap books and still pinned to old cork bulletin boards from all over the world.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Ray Smith
Tulsa

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ecurie Shirlee Distribution Corp., 2409 Sepulveda Blvd., Manhattan Beach, California.

Bob Challman is well known in Lotus circles: he was the west coast distributor for a while. This post card depicting his dealership came as a surprise to me: he was also an Alfa dealer in the mid 60s, as we can judge from the cars on the lot. Later photos shows he became a BLMC dealer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts