Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share...I weighed my spare wheel that came with my 89 Quad at work on the UPS scale, and it rang up (pun intended :D) at 23.25 lbs with a 1.5 oz weight and a valve stem. It puts some perspective for me on those 20 lbs aftermarket alloys at Tire Rack, etc. as being "too heavy".;)

·
Registered
what part?
9,988 Posts
just a thought.. rotational weight? a 23 pound wheel will weigh a lot more than a 20 pound wheel at speed. and also 'un-sprug' weight.. i though of this, as i race bicycles, and even a 1/2 weight in the wheel , i can feel as i try to spin it up,in a climb/ sprint, etc.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yeah, phone dials are notoriously heavy wheels. I still can't believe they're over twice the weight of the Campagnolo mags on my old Spider, but they look so nice... alas, beauty has its price.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,930 Posts
I went from the steel 14s to the phonedial 15s, and it adds about 7lbs a wheel (35->42lbs with tires IIRC). Yeah, you can definitely feel the weight in the ride, though some of it is probably the lower profile tires as well.

That being said, they sure are purty :D I love 'em.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My 86 spyder has the Chromodoros from a few years past. They weigh about nothing..and the difference in looks and handling is amazing. They weigh less than the tyres mounted on tham. Truck scale of weight of car is about 2300# I think

1 - 6 of 6 Posts