Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 403 Posts

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Top or inner cross member in!

... and shape corrected. The cross member I bought was for the later Spiders and had a different cross section, thus I had to split it, refold it and add 9mm ... and no bog ;) (yet).

I made a jig from the front inner lower suspension holes and the cross member is dead straight within 1.5 mm ... which is way close enough for this member.

Note that in the front photo it doesn't look straight ... but it is!, it is the other panel (the one below the radiator) that has always been incorrectly installed by Alfa Romeo ... and will stay that way.
Pete

Attachments

· Registered
2,155 Posts
Looks good! I've been trying to figure out how you got the car upside down in a room that appears to be a bedroom! Seriously, I can appreciate from doing some patch panels how much work that must have been.

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill77 said:
Looks good!
Thanks.
I've been trying to figure out how you got the car upside down in a room that appears to be a bedroom!
No it's in my shed, which is about 2 cars long (almost) but I cannot actually fit 2 cars in there.

The rotisserie was well worth making!

The blinds were added as wife did not want them anymore and it helps keep the room cool. As an added bonus it stops the kids getting welding flashed!!!

Pete

· Registered
496 Posts
Beautiful work Pete! I made a lot of the internal rocker bits on a GTV and welded them up. That was difficult and took a lot of time. To have done it as extensively as you have proves what a labor of love it is. :)

Nice!

Karl

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr.G said:
That's a pretty nice looking garage. Or are you in your living room?
Gee and I was going to flatten it and start again ... might have to rethink. It really is not as good as it looks. I guess it's the blinds. I had to cut them down to fit and it took ages, but it really does keep the heat down inside.

Thanks for all the positive comments BTW guys :)

I'm ready to put the outer (or lower) cross member piece in now. Might be able to do that this weekend ... so photos will follow.

Pete

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GoldCloverLeaf said:
That is looking awesome Pete! What are yourt plans for the front valance? I would imagine it would be difficult to get right.
Thanks. I do actually have a lower repair piece I bought many, many years ago, but I think I'll have to add more.

The tricky part will be getting it all straight and looking right from all directions/viewing angles, especially as she has had a few minor nudges that I will have to remove/straighten.

I'll have to refind the headlights and grill, etc. and assemble the front a few times to get this right.

But it's all progress in the right direction. I've been busy for the last couple of weekends so progress has slowed, but I'll get back into it after buying a few more grinding discs, etc. and primer paint.

Pete

· Premium Member
1965 Giulia TI/1998 Spider
3,979 Posts
it is so impressive to see what you are doing. It takes a lot of guts to attack a project like this. Thumbs up for bringing her back!

· Registered
2,561 Posts
Pete
We are watching your posts and admiring your skill and dedication.
We don't always applaud loud enough for you blokes Down Under to hear us!

Keep at it. You're building a better car than ALFA originally built!

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No progress update sorry ...

... but thanks for the compliments.

I wasted this weekend hooning over some great roads in Sydney, NSW with a few motorcycle mates on my little Suzuki GN250. Man that was a blast.

With work and a small break for the family it will be a few weeks before I can finish the other side and then add the anti-roll bar mounting points.

Pete

· Registered
54 Posts
Keep up the good work, I love reading and seeing projects that I would never consider tackling myself, maybe someday when I have more time on my hands.

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gee I better do some work ... actually I am plaining to this weekend. Unfortunately it might not be as much as it should be, unless I can get hold of some thicker steel for the anti-roll bar mounts. I've forgetten to think ahead and order some ... oops :eek:.

Pete

· Registered
5,224 Posts
I am prepping to build a rotiessire for my 105 cars. I would like to see some pictures of how you built the one you have and attaching it to the car please.

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
velocedoc said:
I am prepping to build a rotiessire for my 105 cars. I would like to see some pictures of how you built the one you have and attaching it to the car please.
I'll take some more pictures this weekend.

Pete

Here you go:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 403 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.