Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... yep finally after stuffing around for many years (marriage, kids, racing, etc.), I have my own house and thus shed and rotisserie made (see my signature if interested) and ready for real work.

Here is the front cross member which is the next phase of work:

Pete

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Progress ...

... okay the front cross member is gone!!

Unfortunately rust has spread to the front of the chassis rails and thus local repairs will have to be made.

BTW: Does anybody make these 2 front cross member pieces?

Pete

Attachments

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gausie said:
Richard at ClassicAlfa www.classicalfa.com usually has the crossmember pieces in stock. You'll have to fabricate the rails though.
Thanks, yeah quite happy to fabricate most things, but heck if I can buy something that will save time :)

Pete

· Registered
1,097 Posts
Psk Gtv

Very nice PSK... keep posting!
Love the frame you made.
I am interested as to what you did with the paint on your car... is it media blasted or what??

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keyspider said:
Very nice PSK... keep posting!
Love the frame you made.
I am interested as to what you did with the paint on your car... is it media blasted or what??
It was sand blasted many years ago. I believe there are better processes now as while I still think it was a good idea, there are some panels that may have stretch a little. I think media blasting would not have done that.

It was then primed with an etch primer called PA10.
Pete

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a question for the knowledgeable ...

... Richard from www.classicalfa.com has sent me a photo of the cross member panels he is about to send me to confirm all is okay (great idea!) and one panel is different to my car, the upper one.

My question is, is it right for me to install this panel, or should I stick with how my car was?, ie. do some 1750 GTV's (series 2) actually have this shaped cross member and some have mine ... and thus no big deal if I use Richard's one.

Here is a sketch I made to show this:

Pete

Attachments

· Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,230 Posts
Hmmm...
Haven't seen our S2 in months so I don't recall what the crossmember looks like. It would seem to me though that the angled version would work just fine and perhaps even be a bit stronger.

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
papajam said:
It would seem to me though that the angled version would work just fine and perhaps even be a bit stronger.
Agree it would work perfectly ... but I'm worried about pesky concours judges removing points because that cross member did not happen until the 115 series or something?

Pete
ps: Here it is, (please note I'm not criticising www.classicalfa.com at all here :), they have been great):

Attachments

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For everybody else's information I have this from www.classicalfa.com:
Richard Norris said:
The upper piece is the only one available and they come from the later Spiders from the eighties & early nineties and do differ slightly to the late Bertone GTV one. Unfortunately, as they are so similar no-one has made an exact repro of the GTV one.
Thus we have an answer, and I'm going to get it and modify it myself.

Yes (it has to be noted) will work perfectly ... but I'm trying to build a concours car :rolleyes:

Pete

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kroehl said:
Isn't this what you need?

Don't know about the crossmember shape btw. Seems insignificant to me, but I'm more of the patch-it-up-as-long-as-she-runs type myself.
kroehl,

You could build a brand bloody new shell from that site and yes this page appears to show the correct upper member: http://www.alfa-mercato.de/katalog.php3?g0=Bertone&g1=Blechteile+Vorderwagen&g2=allgemein&fs=2

Thanks for the link (wish I could read the language). I'm sticking with the above, but good option for others (and maybe other panels).
Pete

· Registered
528 Posts
I'm not sure if the crossmember from Bertelsbeck/Hurtienne is actually the right shape. I was wondering if the chassis leg bits might be of use to you, since those legs might be somewhat difficult to fabricate. Has to be said, of course, that I have no clue about your metalworking skillz.

I got a new crossmember a couple of years ago and the fit was quite nice although not perfect. Seem to remember that it was also angled at the back, though I would have to look to be sure.

Good luck with this second round of resto work.

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Fully welded ...

... and a little primer chucked on (sorry about the runs ... was in a hurry, Aussie F1 GP was about to start!!).

I've left the tack welds visible on the inside ... nobody will ever see them. I do MIG welds in such thin material by tacking and eventually when all tacks join together you have completed the weld. Never break as penetration is 100+% ...

Pete

Attachments

· Administrator
18,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Corrected ...

... okay after spending ages carefully cutting away the other side I finally got to the inner chassis member and oops, I worked out that I had made a mistake on the other side.

Thanks for telling me all you knowledgeable chaps ;) :D ...

So I've corrected the mistake and added the 2 little returns:

(In the last photo you can see the new cross member offered up in position ... before I correct it's shape)
Pete

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.