Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been experiencing problems in my engine compartments, I have a few cars, with cooling and fuel system leaks. I just can't get this clamps to work right. So, me being a building contractor I tried PEX clamps we use for plumbing. Seems to work fine. Now my 164 is leaking at the fuel hoses against the firewall on the passenger's side. Yeah, the hard to reach ones. I replaced the hoses when I had the engine out, but used hoses from Autozone. I am now thinking of using the proper 7.5mm hoses and use the PEX clamps. Any thoughts? The clamps are on the left and the red hose is the PEX hose that attaches to the barbed fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Sorry no direct answer at the moment, but I've been interested in finding out what the difference is between the crimp plumbing type supplies like you show and oettinger (spelling?) type clamps used for auto applications. The clamps look similar and the crimping tools look similar. Working pressures in building systems are generally higher than auto fuel and coolant lines as far as I'm aware. I would think the plumbing stuff is capable to do the job.

Wth that said, I've never had trouble replacing oettinger clamps with regular screw clamps. Just use fuel injection type clamps for the fuel hose.

I was looking into those pex tees to replace a couple of the OEM tee fittings in the stock cooling system. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I recently replaced those hoses. I used 7.5mm FI hose with FI hose type clamps (11-13mm // 5/16"). No double clamps. No leaks. Don't use 5/16" or 7.9mm hose. Use the right size and do it once.

With the engine installed, it's a little tight to work in there, but not bad. An important tip is to loosen the lower clamps and pull the upper fuel pipes along with the hoses out the top of the engine. Do not try and do all four clamps with the fuel lines in-situ.

This way you can cut the hoses to the exact length, and clamp the top ends, then install the pipes again one at a time and clamp the bottom connections. Hold the pipe/hose and position the clamp with your right hand and tighten the clamp with a screwdriver or hex socket back-handed with your left hand.

Not nearly as bad a job as it's made out to be.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Spitfire, Thanks for the reply. Houses use anywhere from 60 to 75 PSI in the plumbing. These days PEX is used throughout the house. Quick, cheaper than copper and won't burst when cold. The oettinger clamps are very similar only more money. these are stainless using the same crimping tool and a bag of 10 at the Depot run about $7 as opposed to 3.50 each for the O's.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Thanks John. Where did you get the hoses and clamps? Just want to do this once!
I got the hose from International Auto and the clamps from the local auto parts store. You might be able to find 7.5mm hose locally . . . maybe at like a BMW or Mercedes dealer.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks for the info on the tool. I can clean up a lot of little clamps on vac lines if I switched to the O's. I may look into the tools a little more since I could make use of it on the plumbing end as well. Right now I still solder.

Another source for fuel hose and clamps...belmetric.com. I called three local German car dealers the time I needed it and couldn't scrounge any up.

A couple folks had screw clamps appear to loosen. Maybe it's hose shrinkage. Don't know. May be worth a dab of loctite on the screws of those hidden fuel line clamps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts