Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ....I am new to the forum and also to Alfa's, my car is a 1974 spider, 4cyl,Spica injected, with a Marrelli distributor B103A
I am installing a Petronix MR-LS2 ingnitor inplace of the points.The first step is to install the base plate that will hold the electronic module.The base plate does not seem to fit and also have the screw holes lined up.
Anyone else came across this with this particular set up.?
I have contacted Petronix as well but still awaiting an answer

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did trim the base slightly (excess length), but the screw holes lined up in my S103B distributor. There is also a LS1 kit for Marelli distributors, is the LS2 kit the correct one for your distributor?
Warren
S V Resto

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Check to make sure your distributor is not an S103BA which takes the LS1 module. Did it use the straight points or the dog-legged points?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Mine is the S103BA marrelli, looks like I was sent the wrong kit :(
Petronix is leaning that way as well.

Now I read that Centerline does not take Ignition stuff back! I may end up having to buy the Ls1 kit and flog this LS2 kit

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad they're making you whole. I've been thinking about doing this myself, but I'm wondering -- and sorry if this is a silly question -- do you have to set the timing after install or does it bolt into the "right" position out of the box?

I ask because the last time I had to set the timing was many years ago, done using my Dad's tools. He's since passed and the tools gone as well, so I've never even owned a timing light.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,106 Posts
Well, generally they should have the same relative trigger position as the existing points, so if you can do the swap without removing the distributor it shouldn't change the timing very much. That being said, the smart money is on always verifying timing after a job like this!

Most auto parts chain stores will rent timing lights. O'Reiley Auto around here will lend you one for free. Though honestly if you're going to work on the car a bunch it's a pretty useful tool to own.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,765 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Harbor Freight hand tools but on things you only rarely use I've got plenty. Wait for a coupon and you can get a timing light insanely cheap.
Thanks for posting, I've been wanting to ignite my marelli and now I know which one to get!

·
Richard Jemison
8,574 Posts
Distributor etc.

When changing components in a distributor, there are two events that have to be checked.

The significant one is that the new part has not altered phasing of the trigger event. IE: the trigger event happens just as the rotor terminal approaches a cap terminal, not exactly on the terminal of the cap yet and absolutely not after the terminal. Then when advanced it will still fire the plug correctly.

Then you always reset engine`s ignition timing.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Well, you have to ask yourself which is going to be cheaper? a timing light or the Chiropractor bill you'll have after installing a Pertronix module with the distributor still in the car :whistling:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help with my thread side-jack. It seems funny to buy a tool to set a part that will then obviate the need for the tool, but so it goes. I'm sure I'll use it again.

Paul, thanks for the advice/warning. It doesn't look all that tough to get at, but I haven't had the distributor off before, so forewarned is forearmed.

Off I go!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Rob - the Alfa distributor was designed for east R&R and maintenance. If the Marelli is routinely cleaned and re-oiled it will last a very long time. The one thing you should be aware of however, especially if you have a SPICA injected car, is that if you accidentally drop either the nut or washer that clamps the distributor in place make sure you FIND it. They have a habit of making their way onto the injection pump drive belt which will promptly snap the first time you crank the engine over and leave you scratching your head as to why it won't start.

Ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,765 Posts
Take the long view. I still have the Sears timing light I bought in 1970. That brings the cost down close to zero.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Take the long view. I still have the Sears timing light I bought in 1970. That brings the cost down close to zero.
I know that light, I've used that light!!!
Good for you, my man and I still have the same beam torque wrench and tool box I bought at Sears in College Station for the 914!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Guys, I don't know why I was resisting buying another tool. I can't even begin to explain it, but the fog has now lifted and I'll be buying a timing light.
I suggest you to get a model with the electronic timing setting. You set the #of degrees in the gun and then you just have to look at the marking on the pulley. Made my job (with webers) much easier since the pulley was from a spica car and had spica markings.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
13,106 Posts
Good man. Personally I suggest splurging and getting one with advance and an RPM display: they're both pretty useful to have.

(er, what he said above)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, you have to ask yourself which is going to be cheaper? a timing light or the Chiropractor bill you'll have after installing a Pertronix module with the distributor still in the car :whistling:
That's why my distributor is sitting in a socket which is clamped in the vise on the bench.I did my 15yrs as a Class A and have had my share of sore backs
:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good man. Personally I suggest splurging and getting one with advance and an RPM display: they're both pretty useful to have.

(er, what he said above)

Exactly!. I had a Fox Valley light years ago but is committed suicide and jumped into the fan on a V8.Didn't survive.
I've got a bit of time cause of shipping time for the right kit to get here, in the mean time I've been biddiing on decent electronic lights on EBay.

Innova / SnapOn / Bluepoint / are all good choices,definitly getting one with advance /RPM / dwell and volts with LCD display

:cool2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.