Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 spider with original distributor. I want to replace points/condenser with pertronix system. I know there has been a lot written up about pros/cons. 2 questions:
1) is there an advantage to a new distributor from them as opposed to just replacing the internals of what I have
2) what is the right part number for the internals. The web site is less than straightforward and I've not been able to reach anybody.

Engine is stock with spica and I already have the proper plug wires, i.e. non solid core.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
1) is there an advantage to a new distributor from them as opposed to just replacing the internals of what I have
The advantage of a new distributor is that it will be, well, new. New bushings, new advance weight springs, new cap & rotor, .... I see that Pertronix sells Alfa-compatible distributors for ~$200. If it were me, I would spend the extra $ for a 123 distributor with electronic (instead of mechanical) advance. Yes, the 123 is more expensive than the Pertronix. But who knows what advance curve Pertronix uses in its distributor and whether it is compatible with an Alfa engine?

2) what is the right part number for the internals. The web site is less than straightforward and I've not been able to reach anybody.
Just adding a Pertronix ignitor to your existing distributor would certainly be the least expensive solution. Marelli was the brand of distributor that Alfa typically used in '74. Looking at the Pertronix site, they show their model # 9MR-LS1 for Alfas with Marelli distributors (though I don't recognize the Marelli p/n's that they cite: S145C, S166C). So yea, it would be nice to have the p/n of your Marelli (isn't it S103B?) and talk with someone at Pertronix before committing that $147.54.

I'd still pop for the 123, but that's just me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Where do you see the 123 distributor for $200? I'm obviously looking at the wrong place.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
in my 74 gtv with marelli 103sb I installed Pertronix MR _LS2 u can find those on ebay ,amazon for $80 or $90 car starts better and have no issues with the pertronix .they also have the MR-LS1 which is basically same ignitor just with a different mounting bracket of course there is also the 123 distributor thats 1 of the other option out there ciao

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Thank you. Where do you see the 123 distributor for $200? I'm obviously looking at the wrong place.
"123 distributor for $200" was not at all what I wrote. My post says "...the 123 is more expensive than the Pertronix". I don't know the exact number, but I think the 123 is about twice as expensive as the Pertronix distributor, and ~ 4X as much as fitting a Pertronix ignitor into your existing distributor.

·
Premium Member
14,034 Posts
I have only had dealings with the early Pertronix and it has always been helping friends to figure out why they were not working. Maybe the newer ones are better but the 123 is the way to go.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have now had two 123 distributors in my cars, on my old GTA Rep, and now in the Ti Super Rep.
Nothing but good to say about them (both the early manual adjust curve version).
However, I used Aldon Ignitor's (same manufacture as Pertronix, but marketed through Aldon Automotive in the UK), for years on Lotus Twin Cam's & Alfa's, and never had any issues with any of them.
Aldon price for an Ignitor 1, p/n 1847V for the Bosch distributor is £105 + VAT
Early manual style 123 around £260 + VAT,
Programmable 123 now around £320 + VAT

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the replies. Seems 123 is the way to go and worth the extra $$. As I've never had a programmable distributor; I will likely upgrade to that as well. It seems an interesting tuning process.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I ordered a Pertronix igniter for my Marelli distributor from Centerline a few years ago and it has worked great with no issues. Sure beats having to pull the distributor every year or two to replace/adjust the points. I'm not much of a performance tuner so I don't really need a programmable dizzy (at least at this stage). If your existing distributor doesn't have excessive play in the shaft and the advance is still working properly, the Pertronix is worth a try. If I had to replace a worn out distributor, I'd probably go for the 123.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a Pertronix igniter for my Marelli distributor from Centerline a few years ago and it has worked great with no issues. Sure beats having to pull the distributor every year or two to replace/adjust the points. I'm not much of a performance tuner so I don't really need a programmable dizzy (at least at this stage). If your existing distributor doesn't have excessive play in the shaft and the advance is still working properly, the Pertronix is worth a try. If I had to replace a worn out distributor, I'd probably go for the 123.
I installed the same (pertronix) on my Giulia Super and it has been great as well. I also wouldn't call myself a performance tuner but the distributor is original and likely not working optimally. I experiment a bit more with the spider. However, I acknowledge that might just be an excuse I'm looking for to buy the programmable one which I wasn't considering until I began this discussion. Definitely, not a rational expense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts