Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found and restored a wooden personal wheel from a 70's spider. When I install it in my '89 spider the horn won't stop. Can't tell if I reassembled the wheel wrong or if there is a problem with putting an old wheel in a later car? Advice?

The stock wheel/horn works fine. My guess is that I am missing an insulating washer or reassembled the personal wheel incorrectly. Kind of frustrating. What could be more simple than a horn. Push the button ground the circuit. Noise comes out.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Check the wire that runs down the center of the steering column for shorts.

It ties the horn buttons to the engine bay harness in the area under your brake master cylinder.

If it's knicked and scuffing the column or an edge, (particularly where it exits the steering gearbox), the horns will howl all day.

If that doesn't bring it, the issue is likely in the horn buttons/hub proper, or elsewhere down the harness.

Query:

Isn't the 89 a splined column whereas the earlier versions were keyed?

How did you adapt?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ahhh I see.

So it's more of an old Ford style with the pickup groove rather than the wire down the column. (I see it's keyed not splined too :D )

Bummage.

About all I could think to do would be to unhook the wire that goes to the plunger thingy and tie that to the single wire on the wheel.

No, wait, that wouldn't work either as the wire would get torn up trying to wrap around the column......

If the horn wire still connects under the MS, then mabe unhooking the factory wire there and adding in a column wire to connect to the wheel wire would bring it. (it's a bit dificult to work these things out without being hands on :( )

·
Banned
129 Posts
I have installed a Momo wheel on my S3, and my solution was to simply duplicate the horn wiring of the earlier Spider's. I ran a green 14ga, wire down through the center of the steering column (so it goes into the engine bay), and then back through the firewall and to the horn relay in the fuse box. Really, the only difference is the location of the horn relays, as in the early Spiders it's located on the left inner fender near the master cylinders. Just leave a nice coil of wire (wind it like a spring) at the top of the column (under the horn button, too) so it has some area to flex, just as in the earlier Spiders.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow on Q.

It slipped right on after removing the 89 steering wheel and hub. (The 89 wheel is very flat the personal wheel is highly dished.) The only problem I am having is the horn. Does anyone have a diagram on how all the Steering wheel parts go together? I think I'm missing a spacer or something so that the steering wheel automatically goes to ground. The 89 wheel/horn works fine.

·
Banned
129 Posts
It slipped right on after removing the 89 steering wheel and hub. (The 89 wheel is very flat the personal wheel is highly dished.) The only problem I am having is the horn. Does anyone have a diagram on how all the Steering wheel parts go together? I think I'm missing a spacer or something so that the steering wheel automatically goes to ground. The 89 wheel/horn works fine.
Did you remove the original spring-mounted horn contact from the steering column? If not, that's your grounding issue. With the original wheel, that contact works together with the brass ring on the back side of the wheel. The older Personal wheel (or Momo, Nardi, etc), needs to be hard-wired as I previously described, by running a wire down through the center of the column and to the horn relay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you remove the original spring-mounted horn contact from the steering column? If not, that's your grounding issue. With the original wheel, that contact works together with the brass ring on the back side of the wheel. The older Personal wheel (or Momo, Nardi, etc), needs to be hard-wired as I previously described, by running a wire down through the center of the column and to the horn relay.
Art, Thanks I look at that. I'm looking art the personal wheel and cannot tell why it wouldn't ground all the time anyway. Things seem to touch that I don't think should. I may have reassembled the wheel wrong. Do you know of a diagram that shows the order that all the parts go back together?

·
Registered
966 Posts
hello alfisti.I am having this problem.I had a nardi wheel w/adaptor on the car,the horn worked.I recently pulled the adapter and put on the original style personal wheel.As soon as I plug the wire from the wheel ,into the wire that comes up through the shaft the horn sounds and doesn't stop.I dont believe that there is a short as the nardi works fine.I pulled the personal wheel apart and found the following,
-there is a spring type washer that holds a metal dish on the back.\
-behind that there is a large spring,and the 3 prong button assembly can come out.
-there is a black tar like coating on the top of the spring.
I cant figure out how it WON'T stop grounding out as everything seems to touch metal!
Is there a washer or insulator that fits in there somewhere?
The OP asked for a exploded view of the s.wheel,does someone have one or possibly know what the problem is?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
954 Posts
IIRC there is a black plastic insulation material on the underside of the three spoked horn "button" that insulates the contact ring. possibly that has worn away? I will check an old wheel in my parts stash tonight.

·
Registered
966 Posts
IIRC there is a black plastic insulation material on the underside of the three spoked horn "button" that insulates the contact ring. possibly that has worn away? I will check an old wheel in my parts stash tonight.
Ya its a little worn;the spring shows.I coated it with silicone,still made noise.One thing;I removed the ground plate and put the wheel on-the horn stopped.That ground plate seems to always contact.I tried putting the plate back on with the retaining clip loose-that seemed to work,but I cant leave it like that(can I?).Does anyone know if the wheel needs to be tighened on to stop the horn?I know I'm reaching but you never know!
Side bar-what should I torque the wheel nut to?
Thanks all...

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's funny because the car came with this
wheel. There is a single black wire that
runs up the shaft with a bullet end.
Looks stock. The wheel looks ok but I
have no real point of reference.I am about
to try to bend the grounding plate away
from the contacts. Not sure what else to
do.