Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I'm battling a persistent problem with my 70 GTV transmission, which is now out of the car for the 3rd (yes - 3rd) time to try to resolve this problem. I have a good bit of experience rebuilding these transmissions, but haven't run across this previously. I rebuilt the transmission with new syncros, dog rings, shifter rings, and bearings. The gears themselves were in pretty good shape, so no real work there, although I did replace all of the brass bushings. These were replaced by a machine shop who ground them concentric with the gear.

The noise itself is sort of a grumble/rumble mostly on deceleration. I believe I may have identified the noise as coming from the mid-bearing in the layshaft, and I'm going to replace that bearing. Can't explain why a new bearing would go bad, but stranger things have happened. However, I ran across something unusual when I tore down the syncros, and that's why I'm writing this. I've attached a pic of the first gear syncro, which has obviously gotton rather warm in spots. I cannot account for how this would occur, other than oil starvation - but this trani was absolutely not run dry. Any ideas about how this could occur? Could this also be related to my noise?

I really don't want to put this thing back in only to still have the noise, but I;m at a loss here. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
21,309 Posts
And presumably it didn't look like that when you put it in?
This is a new production synchro? I've heard anecdotally that some are a shade too large or too small compared to original Alfa parts and you can have a stack-up of too much or not enough clearance. I wonder....
Andrew

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Can you show us a photo of the face of the synchro? These are definitely hot spots. How does the balk ring look like that was holding it in place? Does it also have hot spots? Did it shift normally?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts