Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering removing the a/c compressor permanently. I never use A/C and the system was evacuated long ago. Any suggestions on a bracket for the alternator that might also eliminate the need for a tensioner?
thanks

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Any problem with the A/C compressor bearing? If not and if it is working good, it would probably be easier to just disable the A/C compressor clutch (so it will not engage) and leave the whole thing as a big idler pulley!

Some non-US 164 do not have A/C but I believe those car use v-belt instead of serpentine belt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks,
Shame on my for not using the search option before posting.

The engine is out of the car right now, so its now or never on this mod.

·
Premium Member
15,540 Posts
Well, it's not a mod per se, since the a/c can be either disabled by pulling the wire going to the pump clutch, or by removing the pump at any time when the engine is in the car. I don't see you gaining anything worth talking about.

Seeing as how you live in the Seattle area, I would be reluctant to remove the pump if you don't have to, as there are a few times when you need a/c in the PNW in order to keep the inside of the car from fogging up. It can get dicey a few times depending on the weather. I'm speaking from many miles of experience with the 164's. Just came back from a drive in the heavy rain, and when we got stopped in traffic in the heavy rain, the car would start to steam up just a little, the normal outside air being too humid and warm to unfog the windows, even with every window and sunroof open.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Well, it's not a mod per se, since the a/c can be either disabled by pulling the wire going to the pump clutch, or by removing the pump at any time when the engine is in the car. I don't see you gaining anything worth talking about.

Seeing as how you live in the Seattle area, I would be reluctant to remove the pump if you don't have to, as there are a few times when you need a/c in the PNW in order to keep the inside of the car from fogging up. It can get dicey a few times depending on the weather. I'm speaking from many miles of experience with the 164's. Just came back from a drive in the heavy rain, and when we got stopped in traffic in the heavy rain, the car would start to steam up just a little, the normal outside air being too humid and warm to unfog the windows, even with every window and sunroof open.
I agree. I see no point in removing it. If the bearings good just keep driving it. but I personally did that for a few months and still wished I had it when it rained and I needs to de-fog the windows. If it is cost your looking at and the amount you use it well i would just get it done so you have it. If you don't use it worse case your seals get dry! But at least you did not have to make up a pulley to by-pass it. Plus if you plan to ever sell it you will be sitting on it if it has no compressor.
At least just run it on the clutch bearing. Replace when needed!
J

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
I live in Bellingham, WA and wouldn't buy a car without A/C. In fact, I'm putting it on my 1973 Berlina!

I just had the bearing and seal done(thanks, Steve), replaced the condenser and a hose on my 164 to get the A/C working on it. It was retro fitted to 134 and charged and operational today.

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Yep, leave it on but do pull clutch and install a new bearing in pulley so it will spin happily away driving water pump and alternator. I also would install a new serpentine pulley original or an upgrade to one of the many types discussed and photoed on this forum.

As Dick can attest A/C in WA nice to have to defog windows. I can't imagine driving a 164 without A/C and enjoying it. Of couse I drive mine all year long and in any kind of weather.

I would install a new front crankshaft oil seal in A/C compressor if I haf engine out, too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems clear that there isn't much value in removing the compressor. So I'll leave it on and let it spin. In 7 years of owning this car I have not used the A/C once. I certainly don't see any reason to start.

As to resale value. This is not an S or Q, by the time I'm done driving it, years from now, there will be no resale value

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Seems clear that there isn't much value in removing the compressor. So I'll leave it on and let it spin. In 7 years of owning this car I have not used the A/C once. I certainly don't see any reason to start.

As to resale value. This is not an S or Q, by the time I'm done driving it, years from now, there will be no resale value
That's fine but do replace a/c clutch pulley bearing while engine out of car as it spins all the time and a failure will not be fun to repair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts