Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Only for you all!!!
It's a picture taken under the rear side of the car. The mechanic is not visible from other sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Wow, I was wondering how it looks from the bottom side... I see the lower oil pan in front (or should I say outside) of the right side front De Dion tube. I bet it's very easy to change engine oil!!

Thank you very much for posting the picture!!

Only for you all!!!
It's a picture taken under the rear side of the car. The mechanic is not visible from other sides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Periscopio Scarabeo

Does anyone have any idee of the origin of the rear sper diff of the periscopio ?
Can't be from a "standard" alfa or especialy build for the prototype like in the Scarabeo cars ?

Regards,

Fabian

·
Registered
5 Posts
Periscopio Scarabeo

Any other pictures of the mechanicals of this car or from the scarabeo's. It's seems to be very similar !

Fabian

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've just come back form the Spettaccolo Sportiva at Zandvoort and there was the Junior Zagato/Periscopio
Excuses for the bad quality photos but I forgot to take my camera so I shot them with my phone.

First of all, the periscopio is not built on a 105 chassis as you'd think when you see the body, is sits on a Alfetta chassis complete with torsion bar front suspension. The rear wheel arch is changed, is't moved about 10cm to the rear. Because of this the fuel filler door (which is a dummy, you can open it but there is a steel structure behind it) is now touching the wheel arch.
AP300809_11-000.jpg
AP300809_13-000.jpg

When they were loading the car, there was an opportunity to open the bonnet (hood?)
And this is what we saw
AP300809_18-000.jpg
AP300809_18-001.jpg
Pretty much like an Alfetta except for no engine and a fuel tank in front.
AP300809_18-002.JPG

More will follow

Don

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looking through the louveres, you can just make out an engine and gearbox
AP300809_15-000.jpg
The engine is not a GTA, it has a 4 plug head an from the top it looks like a normal Nord engine/gear box combination. The only the rear cover of the gearbox is different.
In the Scarabeo the engine sits on the left hand side with the carb pointing to the front, here the engine sits on the right hand side with the carb pointing to the rear, its rotated 180º.
The gearbox has a special rear cover (the dark grey casting) and out of this comes the drives haft, pointing to the middle of the car
AP300809_12-001.jpg
You can just see the drive shaft on the right.
The pipe coming out of the gearbox on the left is a breather pipe
AP300809_12-000.jpg
Same position, different angle
You can see a little bit more of the suspension, which looks like a reinforced Alfetta item (but I'm no expert).
When looking under the other side of the car there is a good view of the diff.
It looks like there is a special casting for the bell house with an attachment for the diff.
The rod going to the front could be part of the gear selection linkage.
AP300809_11-002.jpg
And looking from the rear to the front

AP300809_18-003.jpg
On the right hand side you can just see the bottom of the sump, its a special casting triangular shaped to use the space outside the triangle of the DeDion axle.

These were the most presentable photos. I think that Olaf has taken some as well, so I'll let him add what I missed.

Don

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Wheelbase of the Periscopio

These were the most presentable photos. I think that Olaf has taken some as well, so I'll let him add what I missed.

Don
Hello Don,

Good pictures! I didn't get many pictures from the underside of the Periscopio but did take some of the body of the car. The wheelbase of this car seems to be longer than usual. The rear wheels seem to be placed further back than on the GT 1300 Junior Zagato. Have a look at the pictures.

Ciao, Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Olaf,
The wheel base is definitive longer than on a standard JZ, just look at the fuel filler door, on your car it easily clears the wheel arch, while on the Periscopio it touches the wheel arch.
The wheel arch is moved to the rear and the wheel isn’t centred in the arch.
By the way, the wheel arches are wider then on a JZ, this is to accommodate the wider track of an Alfetta chassis.

If you look at the whole of the car, the impression is the they built a hot chassis with the engine in the back and then they needed a body to dress it up. The Alfetta GT wasn't ready (or not an option), a Bertone body was to old (and it wouldn't be the look for Alfa in the 70’s) so the got one of the JZ bodies and modified it. The rear spoiler looks like a pop-on item that will fit any 1300 JZ, so who’s interested?

It's a shame that we didn't have more time to look for chassis numbers in the bonnet or rear hatch. Also, with everybody around us looking and pointing, I didn't think of looking for them.

Looking back at the photo's it seems that the middle part of gearbox is upside down. The drain plug is now on top. This means that the selector shafts are now at the bottom of the box and the shifter linkage could connect at the bottom of the box.
Also, thinking again, they could be using the same casting for the rear cover as on the Scarabeo.
Next time when I see it again I hope I can get more time for a thorough examination.

Olaf, did you count this one as one of the 20 JZ's or not?

Don

·
Registered
923 Posts
It would be a hard rally contender back in 1973!!!!!!!!!
Incredible car.
Thanks a lot for the pictures.

Regards, Alvaro.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It would be a hard rally contender back in 1973!!!!!!!!!
Incredible car.
Thanks a lot for the pictures.

Regards, Alvaro.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The link to the Dec 2007? article in Automobilismo d'Epoca on mid engined Alfas: Alfa Romeo 33 STRADALE - 2000 Z PERISCOPIO - SPRINT 6C
Yep, not very informative, IMHO. The piece on that is an old article by Busso in a Ruoteclassiche circa 1990. I can't find it anymore, I may have loaned it to someone who failed to give it back... :mad: If someone out there has it, could you please quote the number and/or date of the issue as to help me in tracking it back? Thanks.

BTW, here are a few more pics taken at SSAR, showing the engine sump and drivetrain with its 45° shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcE
The link to the Dec 2007? article in Automobilismo d'Epoca on mid engined Alfas: Alfa Romeo 33 STRADALE - 2000 Z PERISCOPIO - SPRINT 6C

Yep, not very informative, IMHO. The piece on that is an old article by Busso in a Ruoteclassiche circa 1990. I can't find it anymore, I may have loaned it to someone who failed to give it back... If someone out there has it, could you please quote the number and/or date of the issue as to help me in tracking it back? Thanks.
The text might not be great, I don't know, haven't translated it jet. But the photo's are worth a look.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Very interesting. Would be great to get a scan of the article as the usual sources like Marchiano book, do not give a heck of a lot of info.

Mike

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Alfa Sei

the transaxle is not from an alfetta but from an Alfa Sei sedan, the diff housing gives it away
Hello GTVSA,

If what you say is correct, it makes for an Interesting observation. Since the Periscopio was produced in 1973, it means that a prototype transaxle was used or the Periscopio was modified in the period when the Alfa Sei transaxle was available. Any suggestions?

Ciao, Olaf

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks for the explanation

Sorry, but no. The transmission parts, with the weird 45° shaft from gearbox to diff, are specific parts designed for the 1966 Scarabeo and tilted 180° in this case in order to fit the engine on the other side.
Hello GTV2000,

Thank you for the explanation. Are there any pictures from a Scarabeo that show the gearbox and drivetrain?

Ciao! Olaf

21 - 40 of 42 Posts