Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front license plate from Italy. Small size, screw holes rougly 52mm x 257mm. Plastic, good used condition. EE I am told is for foreign nationals in Italy, not a geographic designation like most others. Still, it's the real thing. $25 plus shipping?

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just for clarification, and I should know as I live here, but I think EE plates were issued when vehicle registered without local/Italian tax paid., thus available to anyone with the intention of exporting the vehicle...

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
The EE plates were issued to owners (foreign nationals only) who were considered to be "Escursionisti Esteri" or Foreign Hikers. We could never figure out how that designation came into being. While it could be "translated" more accurately, "Foreigners, living/working in Italy and never intending to become permanent residents", it just pertains to individuals who purchase an automobile in Italy without having to pay the outrageous tax on automobiles.

When we lived in Rome, every gasoline-powered automobile with engine exceeding 2000cc, was hit with a 38% tax (diesel was anything above 2400cc) and this applied to the car and any options with which it was equipped. Perhaps that's one reason for a 2L V6 engine in the 164.

When the EE owners left the country, either the EE cars went with them, or were sold to another non-resident who was temporarily residing in Italy. Occasionally, "temporarily" might be quite an extended period. Strangely enough, EE cars seemed to be a prime target for car thieves; figure that.

Ray

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi Ray

Thanks! Well some of my post correct!

Wonder how my TIS got EE plates whilst in Alfa/AutoDelta ownership....perhaps used Alec Mildred's name?

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
Richard,

Living in Rome, you lucky duck, you will be quite familiar with the Italian penchant for coming up with ways to "work" around the system.

On one occasion, I was in the U.S. Consulate in Rome, seeking some help with my Income Tax forms. There was an older, immaculately-dressed Italian lady present who had been married to an America, then widowed, and she was trying to sort out a death-tax issue.

The clerk asked her what income tax bracket she was in. She replied that if Italians followed the Italian tax code, they would have to pay 250% of their income in taxes! She went on to say that this was the reason that tax lawyers and CPAs were so plentiful in Italy and the Italian equivalent of the IRS was far more corrupt than the Mafia!

The clerk wasn't really sure what to do with that bit of information, but I had no problem believing it and was certain that this dear lady had long-since learned how to navigate such waters to her own benefit.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts