Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking for a period correct radio for my '74 Spider. I'd prefer something with a tape deck so I can hook up my ipod that way for longer drives.

Let me know!

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
If Mark doesn't have one, get a Becker Europa II stereo radio, ca. '72's, off of e-Bay. They look and sound great and have a DIN input socket on the back for which you can buy a dongle thingie (on e-Bay or from Becker) and have an i-POD input. Becker US will even rebuild and provide parts. See thread in Audio.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to Mark who thinks he might have one in his Shed. Thanks Mark!

Also, do you have a correct antenna? Mine has a rubber one on it that looks like garbage.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
To Whom is the query directed? I have a hidden interior antenna that performs less than sterling. My passenger holds it outside the window . . . ;)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Yes anyone, even not including a passenger, could hold the antenna but they'd have to be running pretty fast or riding a bike or motorcycle alongside . . . On a serious note, the Becker US site sells period-correct looking antennae (plural I think). Try perusing the Audio folder also. Some good info there on radios and antennae.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hay Jeff, I have both a Blaupunkt stereo cassette Deck (CR-2010) and a Blaupunkt mono AM FM just setting in my garage. The AM FM tape has the face plate the AM FM mono does not. Both clean units Cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/iDeck-Integra...ef=sr_1_7?s=mp3&ie=UTF8&qid=1301378713&sr=1-7

About The Becker, the Europa 2 is stereo and the Europa is not. That Europa in the GTV has Benz knobs on it. I like the tone of the Beckers, but the Blaupunkts are said to lock on to stations better(picky picky I know)

So are you going with stereo 2 speakers(right & left) or do you want just 1 speaker(a mono unit)

A Hirschmann antenna should be simple to come by. Used on Benz, BMW, some Jags. I would just find a used one Jeff. A power one will take up more room around the filler. You may want to check that out to make sure that it will fit.
Jeff, The dealers did the installs, and not the factory. This is why antennas are fitted in different corners depending on who did the install. Becker, Blaupunkt and (Clarion 70s) were installed in Alfas new(in the 50s,60s,70s).
Someone please correct me here if they have Different info.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Kipp-

I'm looking to go stereo. Not quite sure yet where I'm going to mount speakers, but I would really like a stereo in the car!

Is the blaupunkt the correct radio for a '74?

I would like to find a non electric antenna since the car didnt have an electric one in '74.

Thanks,

·
Registered
411 Posts
The baupunkt cassette is the stereo one that I have.
Speakers in the doors I guess. On mine, they put 4" speakers just in back and down from the radio. You have a large cut out there that has been done. I hope that the face plate will cover. You may need to get a piece of black ABS plastic and cut it to fit what the face plate does not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hirs...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...tZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi Jeff, I did find a Motorola/cassette/radio.4-way,non electric ant.,out of my'71 Berlina. I now remember going through my radio collection and tossing broken ones,so this one still worked when pulled,could use a good cleaning on the inside,outside is black with chrome knobs and two different sized face plates. I also found the Kenwood speakers from my '74 Spider and the center console side walls with the speaker holes there and a pair of kicker panels that have speaker holes .
Mark

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hay Jeff, some dealers did install Motarola back in the 60s and 70s. I forgot about them. An install shop should be able to clean and service the radio(clean pots and blow the dust out), plus install it for you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marks radio sadly ended up not working. However, on my way home from his place I stopped at Centerline and Bob had a nice Blaupunkt (sp) from the late 70s that looks like brand new! So radio problem solved, now I need speakers and somewhere to put them!

·
Registered
411 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts