Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is WOW! I had the OEM Bosch heavy boat anchor starter and noticed (finally) how slow it was - especially with my fresh motor. I put the lightweight gear reduction one in from Andy at Performatek ( Rick gave me the final push to try it) . It’s amazing. Took all of 30 minutes to install it.
If it last half as long as my old one I’m thrilled! Even 1/4 !! It turns probably 4 times faster than the old one. Car now is eager to start!

·
Registered
71 gt 1600 euro 73gtv usa
16 Posts
All I can say is WOW! I had the OEM Bosch heavy boat anchor starter and noticed (finally) how slow it was - especially with my fresh motor. I put the lightweight gear reduction one in from Andy at Performatek ( Rick gave me the final push to try it) . It’s amazing. Took all of 30 minutes to install it.
If it last half as long as my old one I’m thrilled! Even 1/4 !! It turns probably 4 times faster than the old one. Car now is eager to start!
lighter and smaller and faster works for me ...... May i ask how much they are???

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Centerline has em for about 3 hundeys. Andy at Performatek same price. Considering where I live, to get the OEM one rebuilt is 150, it is well worth it

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Goater,,,, It's nice ONE of my endorsements didn't go sour !!!!! Curious .. did WOSP give you some GOOD quality bolts? I had a discussion on that subject with them that was well received by them as the ones they supplied ( inside the package) were not commensurate with the quality of the unit because of the slop in the threads that are machined in the unit. They thanked me for the heads up and I just replaced them from Fastenal.. WOSP said they would address the question. Glad you are happy.. that makes my day! It truly is a transformation.. My old starter like yours always sounded like it was working on a half dead battery at -15F.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Glad to hear it went well. I purchased one a few years ago and will be installing it in a month.

Interesting to hear about the bolts, I'll have to check that.

·
Premium Member
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There were no bolts supplied in my package, thats OK. I have a ton of good hardware (non-China made) so I found a couple of course-thread alfa bolts and used them. The whole thing is a one beer job really, with 5min to remove the SPICA airbox and disconnect the battery (make sure you disconnect the battery - dont want to do accidental arc welding). The starter is well made, I did need to clock the starter to clear the oil pressure sender - another 5 minutes - R/R another 20 or so.. It only takes two bolts as the center mount is a stud on the starter (replaces the shoulder bolt). The difference in turnover speed is truly astounding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts